Robot vacuum brush motor pulsing

This is after a single use for me. Yeah, once a week is probably not helping. Mostly cat hair I think, we have one cat. This is enough to make the bearing not turn freely and cause erratic brush operation on our berber carpet. I’ve also noticed that the carpet “grain” is enough to make it pulse in one direction, but not the other.

A stick vac that I have used heavily for many years has never had the bearing cleaned. The brush motor is very strong for its size though. It has a de-tangle button that presses a metal blade against the brush, making a lot of noise in the process.

Decided to pop the bearing off while doing my periodic cleaning of the robot vac. I have a dog that sheds so much that some of her hair is still in a cabin in Colorado, and she didn’t go with us.

According to my Wyze app, the main brush has 67 hours remaining. I was an early adopter, so the main brush has been replaced several times. I would be interested to see what your robot vacuum picks up after a few cleanings.

This time I did not pre-clean the small bathroom area with the majority of the long hair with the stick vac. The bearing after this one vacuum run appears to be all long hair (not cat)…

After that one run (574 ft^2), the bin…

Pretty normal for going a week between runs.

This vacuum builds up a crazy amount of static and it has trouble dissipating it. It would be covered in debris top to bottom and inside (e.g. under the lid). One time it suddenly died while vacuuming – I found the rear contacts touching a metallic corner bead on a wall.

So I coated/wiped-down all surfaces with Reztore ESD Surface & Mat Cleaner which has static dissipative properties.

I coated the charger base also since it was attracting debris that affected charging. (Added 2022-11-04)

The static problem is gone! As a benefit it is also working much better. It is collecting (a lot) more in the bin and I no longer need to vacuum it off every use. The hair tangle in the brush roller has lessened been eliminated (once I coated the entire brush cover-plate, bearing, etc). (Updated 2022-05-18)

Nowadays I go over the worst spots with a better vacuum before the robot reaches it, I hardly need to touch the brush now. (Added 2023-07-17)

When I have issues with charging I clean the contacts with isopropyl alcohol. (Added 2022-11-04)

Alternatives to Reztore (I have not tried these) (Added 2023-01-16)

• Anti-ESD/static “computer wipes” or screen/plastic cleaners – LOTS.
  • NOVUS #1 plastic clean & shine (Claims antistatic/dust repellent properties)

I notice the same thing on mine, but have not noticed any sort of reduced cleaning ability.

I just bought this vacuum a week ago and have already returned it because of the pulsing main brush. It would pulse while on medium pile carpet and navigating around table legs. My Roomba 895 brushes never stalled out on carpet. It’s not a fair comparison but I couldn’t stand knowing the brush was constantly stalling out doing a normal job.
I hope they upgrade the main brush motor because otherwise this is a pretty sweet vacuum and $150 is fantastic for having lidar.

Hey Everybody. I was having this problem too after I changed the center brush, and through my searching of the internet, I came across this video. It’s not the same brand, but I’ll be damned if this didn’t DRASTICALLY reduce the amount of noise it made.

It still does it, but its at lot less irritating now. Maybe someone smarter than me can figure out whats happening here.