RIP: Off-line recording

Wyze told me they are working on this issue and will have a fix within 2 weeks with a firmware update. I just want the camera to monitor my remote camp without any WiFi.

2 Likes

That’s good to hear. Although I think it will also require an up-issue to the Wyze app. From my tests, it seems that the iOS app requires internet connectivity to get past the splash page.
:crossed_fingers:

That is hopeful. With that capability and IF they can conquer the 32GB FAT limit it might make it really worth it. Might be able to get 16 weeks of recording with a 512GB ($100) on SD.

I’ll report this to the team to get this on their radar in case there’s something that can be done now or in the future. But I can’t make promises. :frowning:

3 Likes

None expected.
Using the cams for off-line recording is certainly not part of the original Wyze value proposition. But when it works (should say, worked), it made for a really fine portable off-grid recording solution. Totally self-contained, battery powered, with exceptional quality. I was really looking forward to capturing some more time-lapses on an upcoming trip. My GoPro just doesn’t make the grade, since there’s no easy way to view the recorded videos in the field.

1 Like

I’m glad you weren’t expecting a promise. I checked with the team and this is expected behavior that we don’t expect to change in the future. I’ll definitely miss your time lapses! :sob:

Gwendolyn,
I’m very disappointed to hear this, and I know many others will be too. If you’ve been reading the posts here (and I know you have:-), you’re aware that lots of clever customers have been wanting to use Wyze cameras in innovative applications that are ‘off-the-grid’ where there’s no power and/or no internet. In cabins in the woods. In remote camps. In trailers. In cars parked in parking lots. I once mounted a V2 on a telephone pole (temporarily) along with my trusty USB battery pack and captured vehicles driving by (part of a traffic study). Not to mention time-lapse recordings from ships sailing the ocean blue.

Part of the Wzye success (so far) has been thanks to devoted users who keep finding innovative ways to deploy them, mount them, power them, illuminate them, protect them from the elements, etc. The decision to no longer support off-line recording abandons a fertile market segment that in my opinion has a lot of upside. In other words, you’re leaving money on the table.

Here endeth my pitch to revisit the Team’s decision. Perhaps your colleagues will be persuaded. I’m off to devise a replacement recording solution for my upcoming trip. I was planning on using my sleek new limited-edition black V2 for travelogue videos, but it will stay home, alone.

5 Likes

Can you “revert the firmware”?

1 Like

First, I want to take a moment to let you know that this was well-reasoned and well-done. I’ll share it with the team though I’m not sure why this limitation currently exists or if it can (or should) be changed at this point. Thank you for sharing your perspective, kyphos. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Possibly, but what back to what release?

However, a bigger challenge is the iOS app. If there’s no internet connectivity, the current version hangs at the splash screen with an error, (even though the iPhone has direct connectivity to the camera over WiLAN). Previous versions of the Wyze app are no longer published on the App Store, so it’s not possible to revert back, unless one was keeping local backups of the Wyze apps (and is inclined to jump through hoops).

With the new-to-me FW reversion (under update, have problems) it’s real simple. I tried out 4 in about 10 minutes.
I agree finding old apps is more of a problem. Hopefully they will figure out a way to “authorize” previous versions of the app.

I bought the blasted things to do a certain job. The software AND hardware did it. Life was good. So I bought more. The hardware is the same. Then they changed the software and virtually shoved the upgrade on us. And my timelapse was broke. And all support could do was suggest things like reloading the app, formatting the SD card, clearing the cache, none of which worked for me.

And some people on here like @UserCustomerGwen, @Loki, @Newshound and you have been great support.

3 Likes

Thanks for the compliment. I appreciate it.

I feel the same way. For me, the cloud recording features are interesting, but not compelling. The 12-second record limit and 5-minute cooldown makes them inappropriate for serious security applications. But the local recording capabilities are (or were) exceedingly useful. A cam on a local WiLAN plus an iPhone or iPad makes a dandy low-cost field recording setup. I’ve left one (plus a battery) mounted on the railing of a ship for hours capturing time-lapses. The cam attracted lots of attention from other passengers (dandy FREE PUBLICITY for Wyze). I’ve recommended them to many people (often total strangers). Those were REFERRAL SALES for Wyze. But as you know, they changed the software, corrupted time-lapse operation, and pretty much killed off-line recording.

I might try reverting back to older firmware load on one of my V2s and see what happens, but for my use case, I think I’m dead in the water since Apple makes it nigh impossible to go back to previous versions of apps. Me bad – I should have been archiving the previous releases of the app on my own.

I’m sorry, gemniii. Like I said, I’m working on helping to chase down the time lapse issue. I don’t see a message from you about it and I’m going out of town in the near future. I’d love to work with you on this next week if you’re available. In the meantime, could you please send in a log after running into the time lapse problem and give me the support ticket number? I’ll shove it at some devs!

I apologize for not messaging you.
I’ve got a workaround

Out of town? Testing the new outdoor cams on Hawaiian beaches? Be sure to go to the North Shore if you are on Oahu.

And I’m due to go out of town next week, so I’ll not have much time for testing new things.

I’m glad you have a workaround! Looks like we wouldn’t be able to get a log from you for this anyway. :slight_smile:

I’m going out of town to hike in the woods and hit people with sticks (I’m doing my first LARP). But maybe I’ll make it to Hawaii someday! I hope you have safe and fun travels.

2 Likes

Hope you take your Wyze cam and capture some video from your off-net adventure in the woods:-). Now you’ve got us all wondering about your character…

1 Like

I have a very fancy ocelot mask now! And not supposed to show tech so probably no videos. But hopefully I’ll be full of tales to regale you with! Logging off now (I was planning to hours ago but I’m BAD at days off). See you next week! :smiley:

2 Likes

I agree @kyphos, I think Wyze is making a mistake by disabling offline use. I “was” planning on buying several more cameras, and SD Cards, to use in a location that has no internet service. I believe Wyze would open a whole new customer base if they made it easier to use the camera and app offline. It would be WONDERFUL if it were easy to record to record locally (to SD card) and view the recordings (local to the camera) on the SD card with the app (without having to pull the SD card).

2 Likes

What were the latest versions of app and firmware that it worked with?
I’d like to try and dedicate a cam for off-line recording.

kyphos doesn’t have access to any signal at all where he goes, but if you have access to a cell signal you may be able to get operational with a hotspot. I am always in range of a signal, so I have a travel cam that can be used for things like this using such a setup.

Unfortunately hotspots aren’t always available and often create their own set of issues, so yes, if we know with what combo of software and firmware this last worked with, please share!