Restart rules fail since updates

After watching a few gaps, my cameras skip between 64-68 seconds. Maybe there needs to be over a 1 min skip to have a visual gap? Perhaps your cameras reconnect faster, my router isn’t anything special.

2 Likes

The 2 with no visual gap on the timeline do skip during playback. The other one with the visual gap on the timeline also skips during playback. So maybe they are restarting. I’ll need to take one down and out of its case to check further. Ladder time…
@Omgitstony

2 Likes

I just setup a pancam right next to me and then made a reset rule. The camera went through its paces and did the whole reset sequence at the scheduled rule time, but when I went to check the time line/playback I realized I didn’t have a card in it, doh! The rule history indicated that it “timed out”, but it sure did reset!

Additional special note to say thanks to @kjay and @Hemi for the convo and thanks for sharing your experiences with this issue. :beers:

2 Likes

Ditto and thanks to both of you @Omgitstony and @kjay . I always appreciate the great help and advice in this forum. :beers:

3 Likes

@Hemi @Omgitstony I actually never gave it that much thought until I saw some people reporting failed restart rules here and on facebook. I would always see failed in my rules history for all my cameras but everyday, like clockwork, the one inside camera in my kitchen window would make the distinctive IR filter clicking sound when it reboots so I knew it was working.

1 Like

Doing some digging, my rules history wayyyyy back shows that on the early morning of July 29 all cameras on my restart rule restarted successfully up to this point. But on the morning of July 30, all the same cameras now showed “timed out” consistently. Checking the Wyze software/firmware page, there was an Android app update that dropped on July 29 ( 2.12.29) and a new v2 firmware that dropped on July 28 (4.9.6.156). I don’t know if I upgraded either that day 100% (I am sure I upgraded both the day they were dropped). I think my honey do list tomorrow will consist of flashing a previous firmware than the .156 onto a v2 and see if a restart rule takes. Stay tuned…

1 Like

Yep I forgot to mention that, my restart rules worked flawlessly until 4.9.6.156 dropped.

1 Like

Final thought, all 3 cams are in fact restarting as I could hear them clicking when the restart rule runs.
Upward and onward. :+1:

1 Like

Science!

Project: Flashed a V2 Wyze cam with several available firmware versions and then ran a rule testing weither the camera restarted or not and weither it indicated a successful restart or not in the rules history.

Test Subject:

Pixel 3, Android 10, Wyze production app 2.13.229

Results: The camera restarted and indicated success with the older production firmware versions plus the RTSP firmware, and the two newest firmware versions both restarted the camera, and indicated failed and timeout.

Screenshot_20201009-012530~2

Findings: Camera still restarted regardless of what the history stated.

Log: #48366

To much thinking, bedtime now. :sleeping_bed:

2 Likes

And the award goes to…

Good job! :+1:

2 Likes

I’m glad it seems like the rule log is wrong, would be nice if Wyze could fix this though. Anyone get double events? I.e my restart rule is 1am and on 6 different days this month it’s got two failures, rest of the days just 1 as expected.

Almost daily. But like you said, the log is wrong, we determined they are actually restarting.

1 Like