[RESOLVED] Service Advisory: Online/Offline Status Not Updating Correctly - 12/19/20

Thanks, God forbid that a forum moderator would tell us

1 Like

Engineering has been working on this and it looks like they have it fixed .
Everything is working properly here for me now, lights are now turning back off as per rules

2 Likes

Just set a Rule for a light to turn on and turn off 3 minutes after. Can confirm it worked. Can also confirm my bulb group in the basement turned off after my Rule set for motion sensor being cleared for 5 minutes.

1 Like

I can confirm that this has been fixed for me as well. Thanks @HDRock :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Turning off the timing rule and changing it back seemed to have fixed it. Ideally it would just work but hey.

Aha! Reboot😆

Nooooo!!! :smiley:

Rules came back on for me without rebooting. But I replaced my cable modem today and had to power cycle the zigby bridge, bulbs and plugs and one camera (the other two were fine). All’s well that ends well! :slight_smile:

Hey man, I was driving home from the Steelers game, I need something to smile about. Let me have this, lol.

I have been using Sonoff for a couple of years now. They operate all 4 of my garage doors, two large air compressors, and all of the lights in my shops (I have 3 on my property).
They are also operating a big portion of my home lighting. Not so much as a hiccup on any of them and they are CHEAP to buy. Wyze sells a lot of good hardware but, my experience
is that they are more about selling new products than supporting those already purchased. To be honest, I am quite disappointed.

2 Likes

Honestly, I’ve got (13) cams (12 pan, 1 v2) deployed across three states. Mine are fairly reliable since I quit updating firmware and still run v4.10.3.40 on the pans. Also stopped updating the app @ v2.6.42. None of this has any bearing on the cloud outages, however. And as dependencies accumulate in the cloud, the magnitude & impact of service outages will only widen and be felt more broadly. AHEM DVR HUB, please for a localized control option.

With Wyze, you really just hafta weigh risk level and how “misson critical” the application. Their stuff is decent for what it is, but there is a pattern of applecart upset preceding updates and new product rollouts - not to mention periodic crashes like last week. The scheduler rollout (Summer 2019) for example. Since I quit updating the app (for several reasons), I have no idea if its even possible to create compound tasks yet or if there is still a single task limit. Short-sighted of them to remove shortcut automation until the scheduler matured.

Even though we get the standard response of ‘different product teams’, questions still arise along the lines of “Why are you rolling out a novelty scale when the app itself still needs work?” Right now, Wyze does what I need it to. Have I cut myself off at the knees freezing at past firmware & app versions? The answer is yes if my priority is new bells & whistles; but NO if I want my existing install base to continue functioning reliably.

Personally, I will only ever be able to take Wyze as seriously as an inverse function of frequency that these types of end-user workarounds are necessary. Takeaway is that they should be the exception and not the rule. Presently, and for some time now, they’ve been the latter. Good technology simplifies and doesn’t add overhead to daily life. Wyze isn’t there yet and has actually moved away from that paradigm in practice unfortunately… :confused:

Roger that. Its all about risk assessment and how serious the need when evaluating wyze or any other vendor/provider.

No offense, @R.Good, but you’re either not discerning/addressing the root trouble or you’re doing something else wrong if rebooting-cycling-bouncing is your norm. I don’t consider re-jiggering a trigger to be a reboot either. In fact, its a much more granular approach (like bouncing a service), the way triage should begin. Rebooting essentially reinitializes ALL services, including those that don’t need it, which should be the (often disruptive) last resort. Good technology ubiquitously simplifies and shouldn’t annoyingly complicate :wink:

That said, I’ve got a lotta steelhead fans at my work and I’m disappointed they couldn’t keep the undefeated streak alive. Hopefully, they can run deep into the playoffs.

Same here, the F/W on both my cameras is about 4 or 5 releases out of date just to maintain the functionality I want which is nothing more than ‘works as advertised’. The current app seems to be OK for me. I’m on the current release* only because I got a new tablet and was able to test it without affecting other devices.

• Edit: Not on current release - running 2.15.51 - just got notification of availability of 2.16.23, will not be updating.
1 Like

Agreed, Sonoff makes a great line of products… No nonsense, they just work

Most likely because they adhere to a mission, prioritize consistency, and don’t lack the focus Wyze seems to over time. And that’s not a knock on Wyze vision & ingenuity, just their follow through which comes across as scattered. A staffer once mentioned to me the need to ‘protect the experience’ from which they routinely deviate, unfortunately… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Lol, no offense taken sir, I am totally having fun with it. You and @Vincent are correct and have been… Rebooting, restarting services are just quick Incident resolutions when you just don’t know, and not solving the root of the Problem. I’ve led appdev teams in the past, am a ITIL practitioner and Agile guy… I have had my own list of well this doesn’t solve the problem complaints over the years.

Was thinking about the unscrew the light bulb comment I made the other day… the part that is funny about it is of course you just switch the light off… but it got me thinking how I used to complain when my kids would leave the lights on… now I complain when they turn them off… let the rules do the job you never did before… I spent all those years changing their behaviors and I’m trying to do it again in reverse, will you just leave the damn light switch on please🤣.

1 Like

They are easily modified, too. I modified 4 of them for my garage doors. In all it took about 10 minutes apiece.
An actuator that was being sold on eBay and Amazon cost $80.00. I modified the 4 Sonoff Basics with a Dremel and
some solder. They cost about $7.00 each.

Ugh… AGILE is where quality began its industry-wide QA nosedive imo. Continuous development cycles across multiple releases with no end in sight. Personally, I miss the legacy release model whereby target feature sets & versions had some regularity & reliability. I’ll take periodic patches any day if the underlying codebase is more trustworthy.

Ha - how many light bulbs does it take to screw an end-user? :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I replaced the reed switch in my garage sensor with a ball position (think mercury) component… Eliminated the need for the magnet… Works great

2 Likes

4… my bathroom mirror grouping has been my biggest headache.

TTM is all the rage. Regardless what my business’ have adopted as a framework or methodologies over the years. I do like ITIL but know there is no ITILtopia.

Personally I have always stuck with 2 things learned as a young man regardless of all the years of ITIL, AGILE, and LEAN…

Good, Fast, Cheap… pick 2. :wink:
Shoot, Move, and Communicate

Bet I’ll hear all about that now, lol.