[RESOLVED] Service Advisory: Online/Offline Status Not Updating Correctly - 12/19/20

The rules in the wyze app that still function properly turns them on

Said it once and repeating it again… A less cloud-dependent option like this would improve outages like these dramatically.

Force stopping and restarting is a “let’s turn it off and then back on” kind of solution that was unfortunately made commonplace by a certain company’s Operating System. Nobody should think this is an acceptable way of fixing anything.

Having said that, I tried this on my Android 10 phone, but it did not fix the problem. The bulb that should be turned off after five minutes remains on indefinitely.

1 Like

Ha, well, IT support folks have made a living off of telling people to reboot for years. Sad, but true… services are touchy and still in 2020 people don’t think to reboot but, The force stop suggestion was not one of a “reboot” thought but more so if an account/profile sync could be the culprit,

Totally agree. Monkey$oft set the bar so low that end-user workaround became an expected norm rather than manufacturers polishing the underlying technology.

I get that Wyze cloud storage & automation are free underpinnings of very affordable products. However, premium paid services presumably depend on the same fabric.

These situations always take me back to this old jokemail even though it was fictitious…

IF MICROSOFT MADE CARS

At a computer expo (COMDEX), Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer industry with the auto industry and stated: “If GM had kept up with the technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving $25.00 cars that got 1,000 miles to the gallon.”

In response to Bill’s comments, General Motors issued a press release (by Mr. Welch himself) stating:

If GM had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be driving cars with the following characteristics:

1. For no reason at all, your car would crash twice a day.

2. Every time they repainted the lines on the road, you would have to buy a new car.

3. Occasionally, executing a manoeuver such as a left-turn would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, and you would have to reinstall the engine.

4. When your car died on the freeway for no reason, you would just accept this, restart and drive on.

5. Only one person at a time could use the car, unless you bought ‘Car95’ or ‘CarNT’, and then added more seats.

6. Apple would make a car powered by the sun, reliable, five times as fast, and twice as easy to drive, but would run on only five per cent of the roads.

7. Oil, water temperature and alternator warning lights would be replaced by a single ‘general car default’ warning light.

8. New seats would force every-one to have the same size butt.

9. The airbag would say ‘Are you sure?’ before going off.

10. Occasionally, for no reason, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key, and grabbed the radio antenna.

11. GM would require all car buyers to also purchase a deluxe set of road maps from Rand-McNally (a subsidiary of GM), even though they neither need them nor want them. Trying to delete this option would immediately cause the car’s performance to diminish by 50 per cent or more. Moreover, GM would become a target for investigation by the Justice Department.

12. Every time GM introduced a new model, car buyers would have to learn how to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as the old car.

13. You would press the ‘start’ button to shut off the engine.

For those of you who recently just started experiencing the "x won’t turn off when motion sensor is cleared " issues…welcome to the club.

See the thread from the big August outage below…
There are other threads as well, I just don’t feel like looking them up.

It’s a very well known issue that seems to have been ignored for a while now.
Hey, you got 4 months longer than the rest of us from the big August fail.

Same with me. Didn’t fix it. Still won’t turn off. Thanks for the idea though.

• Andy

The thing here is that Wyze rules/schedules/triggers are cloud-driven and not local device driven. I fail to see how rebooting any Android or iOS device would have any impact.

I’ve got Wyze on both my android phone and tablet. The idea that rebooting either would resolve something rules-based implies that one device is the ‘active’ device and the other secondary, etc… when in fact both devices can operate simultaneously.

Stopping the local service, clearing cache, etc only resolves things like local viewing trouble in my experience. Not saying it isn’t worth a try periodically, but I think its barking up the wrong tree in this type of circumstance. And it’s unacceptable as the norm.

Well, this here old fashioned Unix Systems Curmudgeonistrator doesn’t care much for the reboot fix or anything that resembles it :smiley:

Apparently this problem is not caused by a corrupt profile, since I assume the force stop and cache clearing would have, but did not fix it for me. So we wait :slight_smile:

1 Like

I also use Alexa to turn on and turn off my Wyze lights and haven’t had any problems

In the Wyze application they’re called rules in Alexa they’re called routine and I think they’re more versatile

I suppose, when running a company based on your Egos demands, Road blocks for not thinking outside the box crop up periodically

What can I say… Been a Windows guy since 3.1. Just comes natural to throw in a restart.

The real thought was logging out of the account, then logging back in to goose the account, possibly resyncing the rules from the client to the host, The clearing of cache and force stopping the app was just a good measure to support the log out and log in. You never know when simplicity thrown into the masses of genius might be of assistance, and only because WYZE called the incident “resolved”. Which doesn’t seem to be the case.

I hear you. However, bear in mind that once you’ve configured Wyze and all of your ruleset, there’s really no requirement to even remain logged into the app for automation to run. The “clients” in this case are the endpoint devices themselves. Rules and such are fire & forget from their cloud and don’t require any logged-in smartphone/tablet in order to function, unless you need to modify.

Ah yes, the Windows 3.0 & 3.1 (DOS-dependent) “graphical operating environments”. I was an OS/2 guy thru the 90s and pretty much only run Linux nowadays. Didn’t want anything from Billy 6ate$ (or Ballmer the enforcer) back in the day or the present… :wink:

I have 6 wyze plugs. They have not been following their time delay based rules since yesterday to their last time to run today (10:30PM EST) that have been working just fine for a month. Not fixed.

I didnt think about the devices being a client of their own, thanks for that. You know what that means though? Reboot all the motion sensors and bulbs!!! Unscrew them from the socket and pull the battery​:rofl::rofl:

Lolz, I only ever turn the light switch off/on. Unscrewing & rescrewing is way too much work.

Sounds like you’ve found a side business in Wyze end-user support, however. Lemme know when you roll out the franchise programme :wink:

Gwen has notified the engineers of the latest issue.

5 Likes

Hound, you don’t just report news, you ARE the news… Ha!

#BeTheNews

1 Like

Thanks so much @Newshound! Please let me/us know if there is anything we can do to help troubleshoot the issue :slight_smile:

1 Like