AI Request - sky monitoring - meteor comet activity

I, and many others, use your cameras to monitor the sky for meteor/comet activity. The normal motion detection settings work for most of these events but they get buried in all the other stuff that occurs in the sky. Would it be possible to create an AI catagory for these events? It should be fairly simple but not a slam dunk - thinks like lightning bugs (fire flies) look like a shooting star for example. AI could sort the firefly events out from the celestial stuff because lightning bug trails are usually curved and a different color. I am creating a product that folks can buy that is turn key and uses wyze v3 cameras (6 of them) for each installation. A user of my system would almost certainly buy your cloud service for all the cameras so there could be a lot of cameras sold and getting support - more if you had an AI to make the process more foolproof. feel free to contact me if you have any questions. thanks…

[Mod Edit]: Title modified to be more specific and to enhance search clarity.

Although I brought my V3 as a security camera I have been pointing it at the night sky watching for meteors etc with some success,
I do find that the meteors are too faint to be picked up by the motion sensor.
If there was a version of the V3 optimized for night sky viewing I would certainly buy one.

3 Likes

Make sure you vote for your own wishlist request

I have been using a couple of v3’s for many months and find that they pick up larger fireballs and not just small shooting stars. since i don’t care about shooting stars that works great for me. the darker the environment the better it works. i plan on putting my allsky system into a very dark area east of our town and expect it to work better there. for $30 you cannot beat the sensor system - it would really be nice if there was an AI to filter out the things that are not what i am looking for. i may have to post process the hits which is a pain.

i just did… thanks

1 Like

Sky people vision(spv)

You can catch the stars in the Wyze v3 but I’m hoping maybe we can make something special for the night sky, maybe more clear photos/videos or visual zoom in capabilities, please make something special for the sky people like me (tried to upload the videos :woman_shrugging:t4: but I’m a new user :tired_face:)

Has anyone used Astro Pixel Processor to process your night sky video?

1 Like

I have also been using a Wyze (V2) for meteor detection, under the night sky, and have had a lot of success! It even images the ones that are too faint for me to see in suburban light pollution. Software that detects and records these objects would be fantastic!

1 Like

You should check out the V3 or the OGs with the starlight sensor. Its literally “day and night” difference in low light situations and great for night watching.

3 Likes

Interesting … but I’m not sure what the OGs is.

Wyzes newest camera.

There are two types, standard and telephoto. I’d use the standard which has a normal wyze cam style FOV for night monitoring for meteor activity…

1 Like

I really appreciate this tip. Thanks so much! Maybe I’ll get one and retire my old one as a “critter cam” or security camera.

2 Likes

I mis-wrote earlier. My camera is the V3. Do you think the newer one has better night sky images?

1 Like

v3 and the OG are fairly equal in low light, and both of those are 1000 times better at low light than the v2. I was wondering how in the world you were getting meteors with the v2. lol

1 Like

I am wondering if those of us who use Wyze for meteor observing want to correspond through email or social media and share observations, tips for finding meteor images, etc. Longtime amateur astronomer and fairly longtime member of the International Meteor Organization here. [Mod Edit] I think we could all acquire some good data,

Moderator Note: Personal information has been manually removed from this post. Such information often gets included inadvertently in an email signature block when replying by email. The forum software attempts to automatically remove email signatures but it is not always successful. When replying to the forum by email, it is best to remove the signature block yourself before sending.

Also could be used for Auroras as well !