Removal of person detection

Yes you can control ptz

1 Like

That’s a reason to use RTSP.

If i flash the cams with the rtsp firmware and use an app like tiny cam, can i implement person detection somehow on using the cpu and memory power of a dedicated pc?

I don’t know about that. I only use on my phone, stop by their website. Alexi got back to me very quickly.

Yes, you can use the features of whatever app you add rhe cameras to. TinyCam is Android only but there are PC apps that can use RTSP cameras.

I have the same issue, the video drops all the time in tinycam.

Does it drop while you are using rtsp or does it drop while you are using the wyze cloud?

Wyze cloud

Might be worth trying one cam rtsp and see if it isn’t the cloud causing drops?

I can’t keep a feed up more than 1-2 hours max using a Wyze camera to a device using the Wyze app 10-15 away from each other and 15-20 feet from the access point. That’s without any RTSP at all.

I have used Dafang Hack on 6 different Wyze v2 purchased at different times, and had no trouble overall. The only failure I had along the way was easily fixed by installing from a different microSD card. For whatever reason, one brand of card didn’t work properly.

I would never use these cameras in the same house I live in for privacy and security reasons, but the Dafang Hack made them useful, and it cured them of their habit of constantly falling off the network. Sadly, the cameras do not support Protected Management Frames, even enabling the option on the AP without forcing it causes them to refuse to connect. That was a show stopper, and I had to replace my various Wyze cat cameras with little Dlinks that play nicer with modern protocols.

It is kinda sad - I have dozens of (Tasmotized / no cloud) smart devices on my LAN, and the Wyze cams and one ancient smart TV were the only things that weren’t up to par. $5 WiFi smart bulbs are fine, but not Wyze.

1 Like

Can you control the LED lights on the cameras? I thought I remembered thst being one of the problems.

Yes, a menu lets you control the LED lights. They are very configurable with Dafang, much moreso than with the stock firmware.

A picture someone posted of one of the screens that shows LEDs:

3 Likes

Do you know the story on whether a Dafang card can still be booted without overwriting the existing firmware? I’d like to switch back and forth. V2s…

Wish I could help, but I have never tried. Once I upgraded to Dafang, it never even occurred to me to go back.

I would try it now, but since the v2 cams won’t connect to a network that uses protected management frames, I replaced them with other cameras. If nobody has chimed in by tomorrow, I will change my network settings and give it a try for you, but it simply can’t be done now. Bringing Netflix down during prime time…well, let’s just say the police would likely never find my body. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No, not a problem. No reason you should do my research and testing for me. Thanks. :slight_smile:

I’ll do the reading when I get serious about it.

I’ll test it tomorrow. I want to try Dafang anyway.

2 Likes

I don’t want to sound like a commercial for it, but I genuinely think you will like it. It is tough to beat a $20 camera (plus a couple bucks for SD) that can do so much without the intrustive, unreliable nature of a proprietary cloud.

If you like seeing them all in one place on your phone, the TinyCam app is amazing. It is almost as feature rich as Blue Iris, and you can even install it on Firesticks and FireTV. It has its own motion detection routines, person detection, vehicle detection, webserver etc.

3 Likes

I’ve been using tinyCam since before I got my first WYZE cam. I’ve got it running as a server on an Android TV box. Saving events to local NAS and Google Drive.
My original intentions were to put Dafang firmware on the cameras but thought WYZE may improve their app. So far, nope. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Cool. I bought Blue Iris to monitor wired and wireless cameras at our other house during COVID confinement, set up a site to site VPN and dedicated a PC to BI, then used the Blue Iris HACS integration for Home Assistant to set up alerts and control zones.

And in retrospect, buying a little Android box for TinyCam would have been enough. TinyCam has Telegram notifications, so I could have used those to bridge to HA to get Alexa alerts on motion.

Not that Blue Iris is expensive or difficult to work with, but TinyCam Pro was what, like $5 and it does as much as BI, and a small Android box (or an old Note 4) is much more efficient.

Hindsight is 20/20, and I would do it differently now.

4 Likes