Reluctant to purchase

I just came across WYZE. The indoor wireless cam gets good reviews, and seems like it would be a good purchase.
The reason I am looking is I have a Netvue Floodlight Cam in my driveway, and its junk. It actually stopped working as a video cam, but is a kick-ass motion light :frowning:
I want to change to an outdoor WIFI cam with instant notification. The WYZE outdoor looks great, but I haven’t read real good things bout it in the forum,
Should I wait to purchase it? Or can one of the other WYZE cams be used outside?

Instant notification you won’t find with Wyze. Notifications aren’t triggered right away. I’ve got the outdoor camera and I like it well enough (and look forward to the improvements that Wyze puts out) but notifications don’t trigger at the instant of a motion event. It takes a few seconds at least. And that seems to be true for all their cameras.

3 Likes

I like mine. Works for what I need. That being said, from some other posts, I gather the Outdoor cam is either already in, or will be soon, Home Depot stores. The price is a bit more, but comes with an SD card, and no shipping, so it ends up being about a wash. If you have access to a Home Depot, maybe buy from there, try it, and return it if need be. Easier then trying to return online if you don’t like it.

Personally I prefer the V2 indoor camera to be used outside, simply because I’m lazy to take it down to charge it, continous motion recording, cam plus, and faster notifications. If you have a soffit it can be mounted under so it wont get rained on, and even better with an aftermarket outdoor mount on amazon. The only pro for me of the outdoor cam is the pir motion sensor. So if you have shade trees you may get a lot of events happening with the regular V2 camera vs the outdoor cam.

2 Likes

I I purchase the V2 and a weatherproof case from Amazon I should be good to go? Do you know if I can watch 2 cams on the app or do I have to use the tiny cam app? By the way these plug into an out full time correct?

Yes, the app can display multiple cameras simultaneously if you “group” them. TinyCam is entirely different and optional. Yes they need to be plugged in full time (cable length limited) and linked to your WiFi network. The phone app can be used anywhere.

FYI there is no simple way to view the camera via PC.

2 Likes

Despite the cases being “weatherproof” still keep them under a soffit, so they don’t get directly rained on.

1 Like

They do have to be plugged in, but you do have the option of daisy chaining them together for power, if that suits your setup. First camera goes to wall wart, the second camera’s usb (power) cable gets plugged into the USB port on the first camera, etc.

I have I think 5 V2 cameras outside, in weather proof cases, through I too keep them under eaves / overhangs, etc.

By far the biggest issues with using these outside (other then ensuring you have power) is the sheer number of false positives you’ll get on motion detection. Every time a cloud passes over head, every time a bug flies by, every time a leaf blows in the wind…

My V2s also have a tendency to collect cob webs, and often need cleaned. Haven’t had this issue with the WCO yet, though it’s not been mounted as long.

3 Likes

Oh yeah, if you have even the slightest bit of night time visibility (distant porch lights, street lights) you’ll want to disable the LEDs and leave night mode on Auto to avoid the bug alerts.

1 Like

It is a great hardware device but, the caveat is in the way it processes detection… The method currently in use delays notifications in varying degrees depending on circumstances

1 Like