Record to SD card without the internet/Wifi (offline)

I need to record to the SD card via the software setup without the need for the internet, or wifi, as it was in the beginning before changes in firmware. It was a great tool and the software provided for it. In looking at some of the other wishlist requests, I think this fits right in with the needs to record wildlife, car cams, 2nd homes without internet, etc. How about when the internet goes down for hours, or days at time? There is a gap in recording during that time frame. Yes, the new firmware starts up while the internet comes back on-line, but how about when off line? Nothing is recorded!

Yeah… its just like a teenager asking permission to use his daddy’s car, well in WyzeCam case it needs to connect to Wyze server to function properly.

I can’t really understand why Wyze firmware developer treated “internet” connection like an abundant supply of “air”, as if the firmware was programmed with none error control over events that it would lost internet connection, which fails over to stop functioning when it lost internet connection.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure this has come up before. @kyphos is the main contact I think of, I’m pretty sure he knows the status.

If power goes out and internet is down. I can’t start my emergency power and have cameras record because Internet is down.

May I suggest you guys do an update that the camera restores from a configuration file on the SD card so that in the event Internet is inaccessible the camera can still continue to function and record locally.

4 Likes

I think it would be really useful for the camera to just record events to the SD card when the internet’s out (or I"m using the camera in a location away from the router)
Set it up as normal with a router then have the ability to move the camera. When It powers up, if no internet then record to card with the previously loaded configuration.
(possibly check occasionally for internet return to resume normal options?)
Besides monitoring my garage or other outside locations, it would make it useful for recording auto/motorcycle/bike/kayak rides…adding a whole new category of sales (&work) for you…
Thanks for such a great product line… I’m so glad I supported you in the beginning…

4 Likes

Buenas tarde… Sus productos son excelentes, pero pueden hacer algunas mejoras…

Las mejoras consisten que los equipos puedan grabar su configuracion y programacion de forma local. ¿porque? Porque en mi pais(republica dominicana) el internet y la energia electrica no es estable…

[Mod Note, English translation]: Good afternoon… Your products are excellent, but you can make some improvements…

The improvements consist of the teams being able to record their configuration and programming locally. because? Because in my country (Dominican Republic) the internet and electricity are not stable…

1 Like

I Agree with the need for this. Do you know what firmware version had this feature available??

1 Like

summary: allow the CMC feature to operate even without a network connection

benefits: bridge network hiccups, allow for more ways the camera could be used

background: I have the camera mounted on my vehicle, recording back toward the house. When driving away, the cameras CMC continues to work for 20 seconds or so (well beyond network range), but then cuts off. Having a recording of the drive would be useful

2 Likes

@gneier: I have merged your wishlist submission here because CMC, by its very nature, cannot possibly operate offline. This service is strictly a cloud based feature.

That said, your best bet is to install an SD card in the camera and record to that. It’s been a while since I tested, but I believe if the camera has internet when you start recording to the SD card, it will continue when internet connection stops. It used to be that you could record to the SD card from the start without internet, but that ability stopped at some point. That’s the subject of this topic.

If you search the forum, you will find several other topics dealing with use of Wyze Cams as a Dash Cam.

2 Likes

This would be a great feature!

1 Like

Firmware update for v2 and pan to add travel mode. Dash cam solved.

1 Like

Seems crazy to me that the camera does not do this by default. I bought an outdoor security cam with travel mode. Well, travel mode does not do anything for security. Please add SD recording to travel mode. This can be marketed to RV travelers, second homes, places with spotty internet, …
Hardware appears to be perfectly capable of this. Store to SD (either in base, or camera), then transfer to cloud when internet available. Best would be to transfer to SD card in base, as outdoor camera could be taken.

4 Likes

Hi, my Wyze cam 2 lost WiFi Functionality, probably a hardware issue due to power outage, it’s been a couple of months now. It continues to work in offline mode, recording stuff on the SD card, but there is one main issue with that. It relies on actual date and time to operate, which it used to update from the internet. Nowadays, every time I unplug or loose power to the cam, it goes back to recording at date 1970, overriding the wrong files when storage is full, and mixing old files with new files.
Is there any solution I can do related to this? To keep the camera useful?
Not sure if travel mode covers this, is there a way to enable travel mode by connecting the cam to a laptop through USB? perhaps by flashing a special firmware for this purpose?
I would appreciate it a lot if the firmware keeps track of latest date and time used in a file somewhere, and reverts to those when it can’t access internet…

Hello, there are very convenient buttons to turn cameras off, but i couldnt find anything similar to switch them to offline recording to the sdcard (i.e. no cloud uploads)
this is needed to prevent interruptions during online meetings/ classroom from home as i have several cameras and when a car passes by and triggers them , the internet bandwidth would be used up for those moments while the event is being uploaded.
the workaround at the moment is turning all the cameras off, but i would like them to keep recording locally to SD card,

thanks

1 Like

V3 Cam, Start Recording to SD WITHOUT Wifi

I know you need wifi to setup a camera on your account. However, after I have activated the camera, installed an SD Card and set local recording settings, I would like the camera to do so after power has been removed automatically.

Currently, the camera will NOT start recording locally until AFTER it has connected to wifi and phoned home. That’s not helpful. After I setup the required settings, I simply want to move the camera to its final location (which does NOT have wifi) and power it on and have it start recording locally on it’s own without intervention.

Should be a simple thing to do with a firmware update. Please make this happen.

3 Likes

Travel mode for Cam V3

With the availability of larger power banks there is no reason why a Cam V3 wouldn’t make viable remote outdoor cam. It’s already water resistant and has excellent night vision with or without IR. The ONLY thing missing is software support for an internet-less travel mode. But if travel mode is enabled, all the motion capture options still need to be available unlike on the Outdoor Cam. Wyze should not be concerned about current drain in this mode. Leave it up to the user to select an adequate power source.

2 Likes

Automatically record to SD in event of internet loss

Default to continous SD recording in event of internet outage, for all models.
I assume that motion detection stops working when Internet is lost so events wont be written to SD card…So a firmware tweek maybe able to switch recording mode after the camera becomes aware it can no longer call home…

3 Likes

Outdoor V2 record to SD card if disconnected from Base Station

It would be great if Outdoor V2 would still record to the local SD card if it disconnected from the base station, that way if the power goes out or the base station gets stolen the camera will still record events

1 Like

WCO Cams: enter “Record to MicroSD Card” on loss of WiFi

I’ve eight WCO Cams, they all have MicroSD Cards in them (which if I understand correctly, are pretty much a waste of a purchase in these devices as they don’t get used for anything in the WCO unless one sets them up for a scheduled recording?, which I never do)

Last night, I set a couple of apples out on the back block wall for whatever wildlife might happen by to take them.

I just happened to make a change to my pfSense router’s VPN setup that night that eventually took all of my Wyze Devices offline on the subnet I have setup for IOT devices.

All of my Wyze Cams were down to include the 8 WCO’s outside the house.

It would of been nice if the WCO’s swapped over to “Record to MicroSD Card” (either Continuous or Events Only) upon loss of WiFI.

The Camera’s have the ability to do a Scheduled Recording. Simply give us an option in the Settings per Camera to initiate a Scheduled Recording (Start Time: Now, Duration: Battery Depleted, Video Type: Continuous or Motion Only

SJ

No I want it to record to sd card with WiFi and make that sd card WiFi accessible.
I originally bought these for an off grid property to use in outdoor mode but that mode is too limited.
Having them auto boot and record to sd card with it’s content avalible through local WiFi would be perfect.