Record longer than 12 seconds?

Welcome to the community, @mvanzante. There is a #roadmap item that may interest you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Voted!

1 Like

Thank you for doing that. Keep in mind, items in #roadmap don’t need to be voted on because they are either, “In-development”, "Testing, or “Launched”. On the other hand, Wyze is looking for people to vote on #wishlist items so they can gauge the community’s interest. However, voting on #wishlist topics does not guarantee Wyze will implement a feature or develop product.

My use case: the camera monitors my driveway. A car passes by, a 12-second video is recorded and stops. A thief walks in, gets into the house, steals the camera and a bunch of other stuff… This use case IS the reason I bought a security camera and this one does no fit…

I would suggest continue recording as long as the movement continues.

1 Like

It’s not a security camera.
It’s a $20+ surveillance camera.
Get several cams. Get SD cards and set the cameras on continuous record. Hide one camera to monitor the others. Then use the 12 second cloud clip as a “marker” to narrow down the time or at least record everything.

1 Like

@anatolyv, please see this #roadmap topic. :slight_smile:

1 Like

With regard to the 12 second recording… I think the logic is not usable.
My example - Gate Camera - detects gate opening - by the time the gate disappears from view, the camera has stopped recording and misses the vehicle leaving the yard.
So I get a video of my gate opening. Woo hoo.
Let’s expand this 12 second recording for events to what I want it to be - not what some engineer thinks I need. I have a 32 GB SD card installed, so I should be able to extend this limit.
I tried using the continuous recording feature, but the Wyze architecture failed miserably when the card filled up - I had to do a low level format via Windows to recover the card.
C’mon boys and girls at Wyze - this nonsense will destroy your company’s wishes for growth.

I’ve come from bleeding edge technology companies and you need to get these issues sorted asap.

1 Like

There are many of us using quality SD cards that are on continuous recording. I’ve about 10 cameras running right now and I can call any of them up and view playback at any time.
I’ll get an event, go back look at the footage.

Well, that’s great.
The 12 second recording is still an obnoxious limitation.
I think I use reasonable quality SD cards.
( SanDisk 32GB Ultra microSDHC UHS-I - 98MB/s, C10, U1, Full HD, A1)
If the camera can’t work with these then perhaps they need to revisit the architecture and firmware design.
I have the camera switched to continuous recording - again - we’ll see how it does. (If it craps out the SD card again and tells me there’s no SD card installed.) I understand that this is an unresolved issue that effects many people’s cameras.

Did you see this comment in this thread? It might interest you.

Been using the cam for awhile and don’t remember having this issue… But recently updated the firmware and voila—12 second limitation.

I’m glad that very big doorbell company recently released competing products… Ones that will record the event for much, much longer for a nominal increase in price. I’m in.

Welcome to the community, @xxxxxterpxxxxx. Wyze cameras had only12 second event notification clips from the very beginning. However, they are in the late testing phases for a new feature you can read about here. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Event recording (which is Wyze’s term for recordings in the cloud) has NEVER been longer than 12 seconds, until the recent Complete Motion Capture feature that they’re testing in beta. It was always limited to 12 seconds. So that’s not an “issue.” That’s the intended functionality, and the way it has always behaved since day one.

MicroSD recording, however, does NOT have this limitation, and never has. Which is also the way it has behaved since day one. To the extent that you thought it was making longer “event” recordings, you may have simply been looking at the SD card recordings, not the cloud ones.

FYI in regard to #2: My microSD card DOES record Sound events also but I had to turn off “Detects sound” recording because I was getting too many sound events: From Home screen, tap your camera image, Settings gear ; Event Recording ; Schedule, All dayON ; Detects motionON ; Detects soundOFF .

OMG, just figured it out , sd card, iCloud, continues viewing, alerts is just that 12 secs, you can go back anytime on View playback on anything that happened, there’s a guy on YouTube that sort of explains it too, Thanks!

2 Likes

Bummer - I have other camera ( ok I like tech) I have EZVIZ, Ring and Blink, Ring works great for the door, Blink is good but the batteries wear out too quick I think - the EZVIZ is nice, I use them both indoors, and plugged in, Continuous recordIng on SD card, overwrites over older pics - like months! Records and highlights all motion. No fees. I would sure lie this to record more than 12 seconds.

If you have a SD card installed it records in 2 places.

1. Cloud - 12 second clips
  2. SD card - 1 minute clips

Check the cloud for events. If you want to see more go to playback and search for the time on the timeline to see the 1 minute clip.

With the mini sd card, choose continues recording, and you can play back anything with in 2 weeks, not just 1 minute

1 Like

Hello wyzers!
I dont see playback nor continuous recording options anywhere in the app!!!
Maybe what you guys are talking about are from older firmware version ??
I bought this March 25,2021 and have the latest firmware

Open app, select camera, click gear. It is in event setting schedule.

1 Like