Record longer than 12 seconds?

I’m missing something! Why would the cloud storage limitations be the same as the local storage limitations? If a user has local storage, they should be able to set the limits themselves. If they have no local storage and are therefore using cloud storage, them certainly impose the limits.

Also, what is the cooldown period? Interesting.

1 Like

Suggest you read WyzeGewndolyn’s post.
(using a microSD card for local storage bypasses these recording limitations).

1 Like

See this comment in this thread.

1 Like

I’ll definitely read up. Thank you both for the suggestions. I do have local storage, so it looks like I just need to change my configuration.

Was thinking about it this morning again and realized that even if the unit is configured for local storage, those clips are separate from the cloud storage clips, which aligns exactly with what DreadPirateRush posted. A ha! Otherwise, Wyze would have to create a tunnel back to your home network to see the clips, which would probably require more than your average amount of networking code! It’s all clicking now.

Thanks again for the kind responses. I appreciate it!

1 Like

I changed my settings as noted, recording to SD card ‘record events only’… Still only getting 12 seconds :pensive:

The 12-second cloud stored clips and the SD card storage are separate and independent. They are set up and viewed in different areas of the app.

For the SD card storage, go to the camera settings, then Advanced Settings > Local Storage. That is where you set the SD card to record continuously or event-only (1 minute segments).

To view the SD card recordings, don’t tap the Events tab in the app. That is only for the cloud clips. Instead, tap the View Playback button on the live stream view. How you’ll see a timeline under thevideo frame so you can go back in time. You can also remove the card from the camera and view or download the 1-minute video files on a computer.

Here are some help pages from the Support site:

https://support.wyzecam.com/hc/en-us/articles/360022669931-Event-Recordings-Push-Notifications

https://support.wyzecam.com/hc/en-us/articles/360022500271-MicroSD-Card-Playback-and-Time-Lapse

1 Like

Welcome to the community, @Daggers. See my post just above yours in this thread. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ahh. Well that was dumb of me. Thank you!

1 Like

No judgement here. I’ve done that, too. :stuck_out_tongue:

Wow, such an unintuitive interface for viewing local storage recordings. You’d think a cloud event could at least provide a link to the start time of your local storage recordings so you could easily view more than the default 12 seconds. I guess I can’t complain too much given the low price of the camera.

2 Likes

Welcome to the community, @mvanzante. There is a #roadmap item that may interest you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Voted!

1 Like

Thank you for doing that. Keep in mind, items in #roadmap don’t need to be voted on because they are either, “In-development”, "Testing, or “Launched”. On the other hand, Wyze is looking for people to vote on #wishlist items so they can gauge the community’s interest. However, voting on #wishlist topics does not guarantee Wyze will implement a feature or develop product.

My use case: the camera monitors my driveway. A car passes by, a 12-second video is recorded and stops. A thief walks in, gets into the house, steals the camera and a bunch of other stuff… This use case IS the reason I bought a security camera and this one does no fit…

I would suggest continue recording as long as the movement continues.

1 Like

It’s not a security camera.
It’s a $20+ surveillance camera.
Get several cams. Get SD cards and set the cameras on continuous record. Hide one camera to monitor the others. Then use the 12 second cloud clip as a “marker” to narrow down the time or at least record everything.

1 Like

@anatolyv, please see this #roadmap topic. :slight_smile:

1 Like

With regard to the 12 second recording… I think the logic is not usable.
My example - Gate Camera - detects gate opening - by the time the gate disappears from view, the camera has stopped recording and misses the vehicle leaving the yard.
So I get a video of my gate opening. Woo hoo.
Let’s expand this 12 second recording for events to what I want it to be - not what some engineer thinks I need. I have a 32 GB SD card installed, so I should be able to extend this limit.
I tried using the continuous recording feature, but the Wyze architecture failed miserably when the card filled up - I had to do a low level format via Windows to recover the card.
C’mon boys and girls at Wyze - this nonsense will destroy your company’s wishes for growth.

I’ve come from bleeding edge technology companies and you need to get these issues sorted asap.

1 Like

There are many of us using quality SD cards that are on continuous recording. I’ve about 10 cameras running right now and I can call any of them up and view playback at any time.
I’ll get an event, go back look at the footage.

Well, that’s great.
The 12 second recording is still an obnoxious limitation.
I think I use reasonable quality SD cards.
( SanDisk 32GB Ultra microSDHC UHS-I - 98MB/s, C10, U1, Full HD, A1)
If the camera can’t work with these then perhaps they need to revisit the architecture and firmware design.
I have the camera switched to continuous recording - again - we’ll see how it does. (If it craps out the SD card again and tells me there’s no SD card installed.) I understand that this is an unresolved issue that effects many people’s cameras.

Did you see this comment in this thread? It might interest you.