Record folder on SD card corrupted or unreadable on PC

support

Is there a certain way to remove the microSD card from the camera?

I shut off the continuous recording, then unplugged the cam, and removed the sd card.

I put it in the computer and it gives error: Location is not available. D:\record is not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.

I remove the sdcard from PC and reinsert, Windows 10 says Something Wrong with sd card and to scan it. I do that and then the record folder just disappears.

Does this with both cams. Both are using 32gb micro sd card that i did Format in the cam via the app.

Before I removed the sd card, each cam could read the recorded files fine for the last day or so I have had the cams recording.

When I put the sdcard back in camera after trying to read it on PC (without doing the scan for problems) it sees no video data in the app.

While you have the card out of the camera, do a quick format on the PC (you have already lost the contents of the card). Then download and run h2testw. The symptoms you are describing can easily be explained by a “fake capacity” SD card.

If you run h2testw and get clean results, then there is much more evidence that the problem was caused by the Wyze camera.

So please, do the test and post your results.

See https://www.wyzecam.com/forums/topic/continuous-recording-to-sd-card-stops-once-card-is-full/#post-133640 for info on where to get the h2testw program. It also has an example of a run on a good SD card and on a failing SD card.

If you use the Wyze forum Search feature to search for h2testw, you will see that I have posted a lot about this program. Only one person has ever responded back with results, and they were for a bad card.

Ill run the tests…though the card was not even a quarter of the way full when I pulled it out before. So it not a situation of the card being full then getting corrupted…as some of those forum posts indicate.

I have used the same micro sd cards in other things with no issue.

I normally use Hdtune to test things.

Havnt heard of this program.

Do a google search for detect fake flash and you will see references to it.

It writes files to the card with “markers” indicating where it was writing to, in addition to psuedo random data. Then when it verifies, it checks to see if what it read is what it expected. If the data looks like it has the correct format, but has a different “address” marker, it knows that the same memory cell had at least two addresses, the contents were overwritten by something writing to what should have been a separate memory location. Hdtune is good for checking performance over the whole drive, but I don’t think it can detect mapping multiple addresses to the same cells.

Have you ever filled up one of the cards and verified that everything was still good?

After being burned once, I always check my cards before I use them, even when I get them from reputable suppliers. I just start it before I go to sleep, and it check it then next day. It can take a while to run, expecially on a 64GB or 128GB card. Also, if possible, use a reader that is connected to USB3 or you will be limited by the speed of USB2.

Both cards tested fine. A Sandisk and a Microcenter 32gb. The Sandisk is a much faster card. Both class 10.

Test finished without errors.
You can now delete the test files *.h2w or verify them again.
Writing speed: 56.5 MByte/s
Reading speed: 82.1 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4–

Test finished without errors.
You can now delete the test files *.h2w or verify them again.
Writing speed: 12.4 MByte/s
Reading speed: 36.8 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

While I was composing this you posted your results.

Ok, now it is time to find out why the Wyze cam is corrupting the file system. This is good evidence that it isn’t a bad card.

Please send a mail message to LikeWise tyuan@wyzecam.com with a link to this thread, the type of camera you have, the fw version you are running on the cameras.

This is a serious issue if it is reproducible.

Here’s another thread about missing files. I am wondering if this is a caching issue, i.e. directory cached in memory and not getting written out to flash when the card is removed.

https://www.wyzecam.com/forums/topic/files-missing-from-sd-card/#post-76512

I really think they should provide an “eject” micro SD button to safely sync the files system prior to removing the card. But it would also be nice to have a “rescan” feature, so if the wrong camera was selected and it was a a remote location, you would be able to have the camera run the “card inserted” routine.

In addition to sending mail to LikeWise, you should open a support ticket, just so you have something to reference and it gets tracked in their trouble ticket system.

odd thing. When I took out the sd cards last night, to do the tests recommended, they read fine and had files on them.

After tests, put back in cam, formated in cam, and cams set to record on Event only (as they were before).

This afternoon, I just unplug cams, and pull out sd card, all files, except for the very last one recorded, are fine.

So I guess, don’t go into the settings and turn off Continuous record…then power off cam.