Real Time Streaming Protocol (RTSP)

I’ll try it and see if it makes any difference, will reset the info/log before. I run mine on win7 in a VM.

It could be specific to blue iris.

Although i am not sure how but i noticed when more then one wyze cam is involved with blue iris things become unstable.

Everyone is seeing this issue with more than 1 wyze camera on Rtsp, however blue iris doesn’t have this issue with any other cameras, although to be honest I haven’t seen anyone really testing it with other wifi Rtsp cams. I will soon know as I will have 3 x c1cs running to my blue iris over Rtsp. Maybe I will see the same issue

I have no issues with RTSP on Tinycam Pro! Camera 2-4 are v2 RTSP. Camera 1 is a v3 on cloud protocol. I CANNOT run more than 1 Cloud protocol per device (screen) which is extremely aggravating! I get a 2FA authentication error trying to add a second (or the other 7) cameras.

I run 4 wyze campan v2s on zoneminder using RTSP (with 2 hikvision intercom RSTP feeds coming into it as well - so 6 in total). one of the campans has been converted to dafang firmware, and the other 3 are wyze RTSP firmware. I notice frequent disconnections in the zoneminder logs, but they always come back online so its maybe 10 seconds of outage every hour or so. dafang was less reliable for me, would disconnect every 15 mins (but still auto-recover). the hikvisions are much more reliable but they are wired so its not really a fair comparison. I’d like to test with a C1C just to see whether the stream is more stable, but unfortunately those cams aren’t anywhere near as affordable on Amazon.com.au :confused: so it doesn’t seem that imperative given that my connections recover quite reliably. when others have wyze cam disconnects happening, are they permanently down until you restart them?

They reconnect quickly, the problem is that when you are recording on motion, those disconnects end up being 10+ seconds of frozen frames, often when you really need the recording to show you what is happening.

1 Like

More traffic more people more to record and they disconnect fairly often.

When say it evening and there less going on they tend to remain connected for much longer without issue.
They do reconnect without issue most of the time.

Methinks they device is just not capable of doing rtsp reliably due to hardware limitations.

1 Like

The RTSP implementation is poor, it’s not HW limitation. This was dug into deeper and it was evident that stuff was slapped together with “off the shelf” libraries, hardly optimized to be used and be solid. I’m not a programmer, but once this stuff was posted it was evident that this is the reason why the RTSP streams disconnect.

Having said that, I think it was great that Wyze responded to users asking for this feature, but I also think that we will see less and less of this, and rather more focus on features that will increase their profitability. I.e. spending time to work on solid RTSP implementation (which take money away from the service they offer) vs adding recurring revenue features.

I don’t expect they will release RTSP for the V3 cameras, and if they do it will be just as unreliable. It’s too bad though, I would pay double for the camera if it had a solid RTSP implementation, and so would most other customers looking for RTSP. In particular the feature of being able to control the IR cut filter independently, is something no other manufacturer has; but it’s possible they may at some point to be competitive since it would be a software change and be delivered via FW update.

1 Like

I glad they responded it shows good feedback going on but i have always been confused at not fixing it.

The could have put out one good version without the need to update it beyond a needed security update now and then.
Beyond the actually creation this would require very little in the way of support.
Seems a little short sighted since it hard to put a price on making your user base happy.

I think it’s been pretty well established that us users of RSTP are a very small portion of their user base.

2 Likes

Sad but true.

I had my Wyze Cam V2 running for months without issues on Blue Iris then one day it constantly had no signal for no reason and nothing at all changed about my setup. When I isolated my Wyze Cam V2 running rtsp on a separate older router with different subnet so that it doesn’t connect to the internet then I plugged the separate router directly into my server running Blue Iris, all the drops stopped completely. Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Are you using Dafang? I thought the Wyze RTSP still needed to periodically phone home.

No I changed my main wireless network to the name of the network I was going to use for the Wyze Cam, then I did the initial setup using internet. Then I reset my main wireless network back to the original name then setup my other router with the network name and password I used for the wyze cam setup. When you plug the wzye cam back in it will connect to the other router as it’s what you set it up to do. Only limitation about this is that you can not see it in the wyze app unless you are connected to the same network.

Wyze Cam V2 is the Snake Cam V2, Blue Iris doesn’t work well with cameras that phone home, I added this for an example because the Front camera is connected to my main network.

1 Like

What drops? You said you had no issues, then one day it disconnected and would not reconnect until you moved it to another network/ssid. So it dropped out once basically.

The behavior we are seeing is constant drops and reconnects, 20-50 times in a 24 hr period.

To note here, is that the Rtsp stream is the issue, if you’re watching the stream through the wyze app, there is no dropout/interruption of stream at the same time when there is a drop in the Rtsp stream.

Look at my screenshot above, I have only 17 drops in 2 days and 17 hours since I isolated the camera and its not even noticeable. What I mean by drops are is that I was running wyze cam v2 over wifi running rtsp with internet for months on blue iris with no issue but one day I started getting this “No Signal” like everyone and couldn’t fix it but I looked and looked for answer but I got what everyone else got which was RTSP on wyze cam was bugged but I used it for months without issue but what I did to fix this problem I started having is to isolate the wyze camera and it worked. But if you read up on Blue Iris and other camera softwares having the same issue with no signals, it’s usually the camera phoning home. If you have discord I will be more then welcome to show you.

10.0.0.1 is my main network which that camera phones home which has a lot of drops, but my other 2 cameras don’t drop barely because they are isolated.

It may explain why making a exception with windows defender for blue iris amkes the wyze cameras more stable.
The phone home may be triggering a response where the system thinks it needs to scan for a possiable breach or risk.

Yeah I don’t get that theory at all. The camera directly reaching out to Wyze servers should have zero effect on what the BI software or its Windows host is doing.