Real Time Streaming Protocol (RTSP)

@Loki I agree! I really like the features existing but want RTSP for additional integrations that Wyze can’t / shouldn’t spend resources on doing it.

jpreston84, you can actually flash your Wyze cam with the OpenIP.Cam software, which supports RTSP, but then you would lose all of the other Wyze features completely, and also the Wyze support as well. I am assuming you’d also forgo at the same time any access to a warranty, but you can definitely try this before Wyze makes the feature available.

A “Pro” firmware like this would be nice. If they can get the non-SD flash figured out, I’d even be willing to pay a few bucks (.99 - 4.99) for a Pro app that matches the functions of the firmware.

At present, OpenIP.Cam doesn’t support night vision, to my knowledge.

If I can integrate my Wyze cameras with blue iris, I’ll buy 5 more in addition to the 3 new ones I setup yesterday.

If I want to see all of my cameras now, I have to use my iPad AND my PC concurrently, have both running constantly, + buy a stack of SD cards vs. using the 10 TB of NAS storage I have just sitting here going to waste. If I want my streams leaving my local domain, Blue Iris can take care of that, and everything else I need. I love these little cameras, looking forward to RTSP support so I can justify more of them.

1 Like

OpenIP cam is based on GitHub - EliasKotlyar/Xiaomi-Dafang-Hacks , but they haven’t bothered updating OpenIP cam in months.

Automatic night vision works fine on v2 now using the Dafang hacks repo.

At the same time I’d love to use a Wyze supported RTSP firmware for stability.

They have perfected the balance of HD quality in terms of what this cam can handle. I’ve been tweaking it for a week, and if I stream too many kbps, the hardware artifacts hard. It’s a very delicate balance.

1 Like

RTSP over WiFi can be glitchy at times, and it can also use a lot of bandwidth. I would love to see both RTSP support with an adjustable bandwidth/resolution option, and an option for recording to SD card so everything can still be captured in HD even if RTSP quality is set to a lower setting.

2 Likes

I use PC Tower Server and Blue Iris software for my 10+ ip cameras and for me to buy Wyze is a must be RTSP integrated! Was thinking to give it a try with one Wyze for my front door (directed to the door if someone tries the door knob) But now seen that is not RTSP ready i may not buy! and i was thinking to buy more later, but this kind stopped me from not buying any at this time. So please Integrate it and also to have all the options that the original firmware have. Thanks.

1 Like

This sounds like a workable solution for those wanting RTSP. I would prefer not giving up motion tracking and 2 way audio, but if there is not sufficient firmware space or processing power to retain those features, it’s a good compromise.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t want to keep others from having RTSP, but the purpose for me would be to have the motion tracking, the ability to move manually (PTZ) alongside RTSP.

I know others have already flashed your cameras with an RTSP firmware so having you replicate that doesn’t really help much.

Thinking it through though, I’d be willing to give up recording for the sake of RTSP; as I would record the stream in some other way.

And by the way. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for even entertaining a customer requested feature. :slight_smile:

I would love this feature, I just bought 4 cameras on your promise to deliver it at some point.

The main draw for me with RTSP is

1. being able to store event recordings longer than 12 seconds (or even continuous recordings) in storage that I own such as a NAS.
  2. Being able to view all camera streams at once like on a dashboard
  3. Being able to store videos even if Wyze servers are offline or if my internet connection goes down (due to an intrusion attempt for example).

I’d like these in addition to all of the other WyzeCam features, such as notifications, IFTTT support (for location-based notifications), two-way audio, and the regular off-site 12 second recording storage.

Therefore, I’d be much more interested in having RTSP support added to the main firmware branch than being delivered in some other feature-crippled branch.

2 Likes

I own three houses, one I rent out so I don’t worry about the security there as it is occupied all the time. I do however own a home that is pretty much in the forest and sits unoccupied for long stretches(I’m normally up there on weekends). This is where I recently had a large enclosed trailer stolen from the yard(on property at least, 2 acres). Someone in my neighborhood in the city suggested cameras and I was skeptical because the last cameras I had up there one by one all failed in a year(8 total). So far the Wyze cams I have up there are better quality and do more than the last set I had but my only complaint with them is the lack of RTSP support. I think like has been said above and below, if we have to give up some features that are gained back by other software anyway, who’s at a loss here?

My only question is, for the people who may not want it, can the firmware be flashed back to regain the features lost if the end user doesn’t like the RTSP?

1 Like

I bought a WYZE V2 from an Amazon seller who claimed it could do RTSP. Since it can’t, I’m returning it.

Without ONVIF or RTSP, a wireless camera is a cute little toy, but not something anyone who is serious about security cameras should ever buy.

3 Likes

… And where, do you think WyzeCam is made?

Did you have a point here?

Here is why RSTP could be useful to you.

Clearly I do, and I thought it was pretty obvious. But I’ll spell it out for you. You said you want to

REPLACE my Chinese cams with WyzeCams

Xenophobia aside, WyzeCams are cheap Chinese cams. So your objective makes as much sense as “trying to replace all your cars with four wheeled vehicles”.

1 Like

While I get your point. What I have noticed is a lot of people want to replace cameras sold by Chinese companies direct to consumer (such as the hundreds available on Amazon and eBay) since they have more faith / trust in an American (or non-Chinese) company to protect them (with their own firmware) even if the hardware was built in China.

Ah, I see. You’re looking for a debate. Sorry, no time to play with you. Grown ups are speaking.

(BTW, did you even look at my avatar? Or did you just learn xenophobia and wanted desperately to use it?)