Real Time Streaming Protocol (RTSP)

I’ve the same question - I don’t do Facebook unless it is important.

If it’s important it shouldn’t use Facebook :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Facebook isn’t a requirement for app and firmware testing. We have a beta section of the forum that you can use instead. I can’t see which people have signed up for app/firmware testing so I provide the link just in case so no one misses out. :slight_smile:

We’ve been investigating different areas to hold communication for hardware testing and tried multiple options but right now Facebook is still working the best for our needs. We’re continuing to keep an eye out for alternatives.

2 Likes

Dumb question - I did the iOS TestFlight install and it gives me new (I’m assuming Beta) firmware. But when I click “what’s new” it takes me to the forum post that only has the release notes for the publicly available versions. So how do I see release notes for the beta FWs?

That’s not a dumb question! We don’t make a big post about firmware updates until they’re released to the public. I recommend keeping an eye on the beta section of the forum or the Wyze Labs Beta Testers Facebook group. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Didn’t realize there was a beta forum… that’s perfect, thanks!

Looking forward to that RTSP release!!!

2 Likes

You’re welcome! Glad you brought it up. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would love if we have dropdowns in the web gui so WE can choose the settings on the fly.
Most cameras let you edit bitrate / frame rate, etc…

Looks great so far, thank you!

Good to see the firmware is out.

Where is the firmware?

2 Likes

I hope it’s not confined to just the private Facebook group…

Update to latest TestFlight app (I don’t have Android to test the beta there). Upgrade the firmware on the cameras. Check the advanced settings of the individual cameras and enable the RTSP setting and you’ll be linked to the firmware download.

I’m testing it now. So far, so good.

Edit: Thanks to the team at Wyze for being so transparent and delivering something probably only a small portion of customers asked for. The great value of the cameras is one thing but that’s amplified by what you’ve done here, for me.

After a day or two of making sure everything’s working well I’ll be ordering a few more cameras.

6 Likes

The most basic feature missing is the ability to take http static snapshots at various resolutions. This feature would allow most vms systems to integrate the camera in mjpeg mode. While not a temporal format, it gets real applications now… with very little camera design impact. Seriously consider this. As a 20 year vms developer, snapshot mode allows most every camera made to operate inside a managed application framework

Just an FYI - for anyone running ExFat formatted cards, it seems MUCH more problematic to get the camera to recognize the demo.bin that way. Tried it 3 times and it just went straight to the normal boot - then said ‘Ready to connect’ - formatted the card as Fat32 and first time it went right to solid blue light.

1 Like

Using this now with Home Assistant (hass.io) and working well with ffmpeg camera platform. However, would like to use the generic camera streaming platform. That’s where Hass is headed camera-wise. However, generic camera platform requires a still image to be setup correctly.

Question…is it possible to grab a still image with Wyze today? If not, can you add that under the RTPS development umbrella? All of sudden you’re now compatible with Hass and where it’s headed. Lots of potential customers. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This is a true statement because Wyze cams only officially support FAT32 formatted SD cards.

1 Like

One workaround I just thought of is using motioneye and using the camera snapshot from there in the generic camera still image for Home Assistant then use the native rtsp stream from the Wyze as the streaming url. Very much overkill not a viable work around.

I got one of my cameras converted and I really agree with @Joebobking1 we need to have HTTP snapshots, there are too many platforms that rely on this functionality for integration, Home Assistant and Action tiles to name a couple.

Update: I got the RTSP working with HomeAssistant. due to the lack if still image, the card looks like it isn’t working but when you click on it, Bam !!! you get the stream.

Config example :

- platform: generic
    name: "Test Camera"
    still_image_url: "null"
    stream_source: "rtsp://[username]:[password]@[camera_ip_address]/live"
2 Likes

Thought it might be possible to use the camera.snapshot service periodically and use a file URL for still image in HA but no dice. Camera doesn’t supply the appropriate bytestream.

Generic camera still works without a still_image (just supply a dummy url) but then of course you don’t get a thumbnail.

Would also like to see this feature added. It’s a solid start though.

just use “null” instead of a snapshot url.

1 Like