Real Time Streaming Protocol (RTSP)

I think the answer to some of your questions can be found in the recent Q&A. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

hmmm,… making progress. what does that mean ? this year, next year ??? never ? how about some realism instead of platitudes ?

i’m guessing you didn’t watch the video in the post before yours?

4 Likes

Or the letter from Wyze that came out several weeks ago…

1 Like

oops, no, I didn’t see the video which does give the information. I naively thought the roadmap would give a predicted date too :slight_smile: As a new customer I didn’t get the letter from Wyze either.
anyway, thanks guys.

RTSP Prototype.

24 Likes

OH MY! that looks great… does this still have to run the customized firmware that removes cloud accessibility though? Even still… that quality is amazing. Arthur, I can’t tell you how much the community appreciates your efforts on bringing rtsp to this…

… we’ve had the option of open cam solutions, but those are laggy, low quality, or glitchy (I have never got the motion detection or night vision trigger to work on them). To have something officially developed is very much appreciated.

EDIT: if you’re looking for external beta testers … I’m all game. I have 6 wyze cams in total, only 2 currently using wyze beta official releases.
2x WyzeCam v2 running firmware: 4.9.4.28

I already have BlueIris set up for RTSP recording! I’ll gladly best test the heck out of the firmware!

Their Q&A video said the RTSP firmware will be separate, but it will include all features that were available through December 2018. But most likely nothing new after that.

Will there also be the option of capturing a single frame as jpeg?

1 Like

very awesome! any idea when this will be released?

2 Likes

that is awesome

In case you missed it, Wyze did a video Q&A session a while ago. The subject of this Roadmap topic was addressed in the video. Here’s a link to the video and an index of the content so you can jump directly to the part that addresses this Roadmap topic.

0:40 Outdoor Cam (Dongsheng)
2:15 Wyze Sense (Mike)
2:52 Beyond Security Products (Mike)
3:30 Become International Company (Yun)
4:25 Simultaneous Streaming (Tao)
5:05 Improvements to Playback (Bugs, Fast Forward) (Tao)
5:50 RTSP (Frederick)
7:10 Google Home/Assistant (Frederick)
7:40 Apple Homekit (Frederick)
8:35 Google Integration Demo (Frederick)

1 Like

grabby hands gimmie!

7 Likes

+1 I’m using other cameras with iSpy. In my opinion, most features can be controlled more precisely in surveillance software or nvr the user streams to. For instance, with many cameras and apps of this type, it seems that the cameras will record 12 seconds, then reset for say 5 minutes. This means that if there is much activity, you will miss most of it when using the stock firmware and app. But by streaming the video to a dedicated surveillance device, it is possible to record video back to back so you do not miss anything. Also, having a reliably installable firmware is preferable. The Wyze firmware flashing process is pretty easy once you have done it once or twice. I have tried using several open source firmwares trying to get this capability, and have always been able to go back to the latest Wyze stock firmware without any problem. It seems the hangup has been a change in the sensor hardware. It would seem that the camera manufacturer would be best able to adapt to the proper hardware in the camera, and test to make sure it works.
As it is right now, the camera is very good, well designed, and the app works well. I would just like to be able to integrate them into my working iSpy system.
Thanks to the Wyze team for a great product!

If you need an Alpha tester count me in. I have four V2 WyzeCams with hacked firmware what I would like to get onto something more stable.

So to everyone in this chat I have only one thing to say. RTSP doesn’t seem like it would work well with users that have many cameras because of the bandwidth limitations of WiFi. Multiple streams of video over WiFi will not be stable and probably glitch out. I have started a thread that provides an Ethernet adapter for the camera but wyze labeled it as a maybe later in the roadmap. Can someone like @Frederik tell me how multiple streams of rtsp will function. Can you also comment on the wyzecam Ethernet idea if you don’t mind?

1 Like

There is not much to comment about. :slight_smile: You are right that there is a theoretical limitation on the number of cameras that can be supported. The quantity is of course dependent on your network. You can potentially create multiple access points to handle only a subset of your cameras and wire everything back to an NVR from the access point. Not ideal but a potential solution.

also yes, I would love to have a PoE adapter for the Wyzecam. Not there yet unfortunately since we are trying to close a few features, this does not have a very high priority.

3 Likes

Definitely looking forward to RTSP, even if beta. I have 4 other cameras that I’m able to access all at once with the IP Cam Viewer app. Although my Wyze has a fantastically clear picture, it’s the only one I can’t use with the app and have to access separately.

It’s only about 100k per HD stream on a camera. You would need a lot of cameras to saturate a good AP. You’ll have signal coverage problems long before you’ll have enough cameras on a single AP.