Real Time Streaming Protocol (RTSP)

Sorry, I don’t have an ETA for that yet. I know that we’re working on it now but I’m not sure when it will be ready for testing.

Does this RTSP Ability HAVE to fit into the Internal storage though?
Is it possible for Wyzecam to just check for Custom firmware on boot from the SD Card?
Assuming the contents are only read from SD card and stored in memory for the duration of the run, it might take longer to boot, but in exchange it should have a much lower chance of bricking the camera from a bad firmware flash.

At the same time should the user want to revert to stock Wyzecam they only need to remove the file from the SD card.

… Unless the camera already does this and that’s how some 3rd party unofficial firmware does it?

EDIT: Example… say it looks in the top level of the SD card for the first .bin file it can find… if “rtsp.bin” is found it’ll boot the rtsp firmware, else it boots the camera’s default firmware.

I don’t know how Wyze is planning on implementing it, but that’s exactly how
the OpenIPC firmware works.

I tried it for a few days… didn’t care for it and then simply wiped the sdcard.
It loaded the Wyze firmware and I haven’t had any issues.

2 Likes

Not dismiss the genuine value of RTSP (and/or other standards compliant local access options; ahem, MJPEG is super inefficient but still mighty handy for viewing in a browser with no plug-ins or server required)… but…

Obviously every company / product manager faces the standard axiom: “You can’t please everyone” or “This product is not the best fit for everyone”.

And obviously Wyze is aiming for mass market, which means that if they feel or know (from market research) that the camera is a “good fit” for 80% of consumers in the IP camera market without RTSP, then by the 80/20 rule, it would be poor use of resources to try to acquire the next 10% (yes … only 10%, because you can’t please everyone even with RTSP implemented).

While I have no basis for guessing this, I personally feel that Wyze can reach a sufficiently large proportion of the market without RTSP; i.e., that adding RTSP support would only increase their potential market reach by about 10%.

I hope I’m wrong. I hope Wyze implements it anyway and their effort is rewarded with a much more substantial increase in penetration than 10%!

2 Likes

Why does it require a different firmware? I would prefer to keep all the features and have an option to enable RTSP. If some functionality isn’t available at the same time as RTSP then that feature can be turned off while RTSP is on (for example, if you can’t support streaming to the cloud and to RTSP at the same time).

Don’t get me wrong though - RTSP is the number one thing I’d like to see. I’m just curious why you would create a separate firmware for it.

If you do create a separate firmware, would you consider having that firmware be open source? For anyone with security concerns about the camera, that would address them.

RTSP / NAS integration request.

1 Like

I think the answer to some of your questions can be found in the recent Q&A. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

hmmm,… making progress. what does that mean ? this year, next year ??? never ? how about some realism instead of platitudes ?

i’m guessing you didn’t watch the video in the post before yours?

4 Likes

Or the letter from Wyze that came out several weeks ago…

1 Like

oops, no, I didn’t see the video which does give the information. I naively thought the roadmap would give a predicted date too :slight_smile: As a new customer I didn’t get the letter from Wyze either.
anyway, thanks guys.

RTSP Prototype.

24 Likes

OH MY! that looks great… does this still have to run the customized firmware that removes cloud accessibility though? Even still… that quality is amazing. Arthur, I can’t tell you how much the community appreciates your efforts on bringing rtsp to this…

… we’ve had the option of open cam solutions, but those are laggy, low quality, or glitchy (I have never got the motion detection or night vision trigger to work on them). To have something officially developed is very much appreciated.

EDIT: if you’re looking for external beta testers … I’m all game. I have 6 wyze cams in total, only 2 currently using wyze beta official releases.
2x WyzeCam v2 running firmware: 4.9.4.28

I already have BlueIris set up for RTSP recording! I’ll gladly best test the heck out of the firmware!

Their Q&A video said the RTSP firmware will be separate, but it will include all features that were available through December 2018. But most likely nothing new after that.

Will there also be the option of capturing a single frame as jpeg?

1 Like

very awesome! any idea when this will be released?

2 Likes

that is awesome

In case you missed it, Wyze did a video Q&A session a while ago. The subject of this Roadmap topic was addressed in the video. Here’s a link to the video and an index of the content so you can jump directly to the part that addresses this Roadmap topic.

0:40 Outdoor Cam (Dongsheng)
2:15 Wyze Sense (Mike)
2:52 Beyond Security Products (Mike)
3:30 Become International Company (Yun)
4:25 Simultaneous Streaming (Tao)
5:05 Improvements to Playback (Bugs, Fast Forward) (Tao)
5:50 RTSP (Frederick)
7:10 Google Home/Assistant (Frederick)
7:40 Apple Homekit (Frederick)
8:35 Google Integration Demo (Frederick)

1 Like

grabby hands gimmie!

7 Likes