Real Time Streaming Protocol (RTSP)

Thanks for the suggestion - I just ordered 6 x EZVIZ CIC cameras. Hopefully they will work with my Synology setup on RTSP

Are you the same person as @Jasonneedsrtsp ?

There are tons of valid reasons to want it but he or she didn’t express any.

Exactly where I am.

Honestly, I don’t even know what RTSP entails, but nowhere in the marketing materials do they expressly say you can watch your cameras real-time except when there is an event to trigger recording. I asked them if I want to check the back yard in real time even if there has been no movement for 10 minutes, adding that I’d like to view it on my desktop. So they said I should boost this signal and ask folks. Pretty awesome responses! Thank you all.

That doesn’t make much sense?

I think you should be able to get 24/7 live viewing in the app regardless of whether it is recording an event.

By the way this doesn’t apply to the “Wyze Cam Outdoor” that is battery powered and quite limited.

If you don’t know what RTSP is then you do not need or want it.

I agree with @Customer the response from Wyze Support

…makes no sense, It is certainly a training/education opportunity for whoever provided that advice.

BlueStacks/Wyze App will provide the continuous view on a big screen that you are looking for.

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: RTSP for V3

But it doesn’t allow recording to your own recorder. You need something like Blue Iris for that. TinyCam lacks features.

Did they work, do you like them? I replaced another WC2 with a C1C due to the unstable RTSP implementation on the WC2s. I considered the Ubiquti G3 Instant, but seems you cannot run it in standalone mode with RTSP after configuration…

That’s not true? TinyCam can record to local storage, ftp sites, AND redirect live streams to your DVR of choice. Never thought I’d see the words "TinyCam lacks features*. :wink:

Don’t know yet. I have some serious network issues that I need to get sorted out (I need new equipment), and then I will get to try them.

So, big question.
The place I have my wyze camera v3 up, I do not have internet. I do have a AP for the camera to connect to, so I can basically use RTSP to stream, which is fine. Every so often the stream freezes, I have tried in both vlc and ispy. And testing with internet, there doesn’t seem to be a problem.

Would it be able to disable that check it makes, that freezes my stream?
Even better would be to be able to access a camera with the app with no internet, but that is a pipe dream.

I don’t know if this can be doable, but being able to give the camera a new on the network, so I can use that instead of the IP?

If you do not have Internet available I think the only really viable approach is installing 3rd party RTSP firmware (Dafang Hacks for the V2) that will remove the need for the cameras to phone home.

This might change some day - the AWS outages have Wyze rethinking things.

1 Like

Does the dafang v2 work on the v3?

I honestly don’t know. I’ve seen conflicting information and have never had the chance to try.

dafang does not work on v3. v3s are so much more bandwidth hungry, they freeze, no matter how well network connected. My v2s are far from the AP and never freeze… someone is collecting much more data from the v3 streams, and it’s NOT resolution.

Mine “only” freezes once a minute and only if it does not have a internet connection. So my assumption is that there is a handshake that doesn’t happen.

Sorry for not responding so long ago, have notifications turned off. Not sure what level of technical detail you’re looking for, but my router, distribution switches and wifi access points are all capable of doing 802.1q VLANs. Setting that up differs widely among device manufacturers and can take a bit of effort to sort out. Vendor manuals can either be very helpful, or terribly misleading. Ubiquiti is the best, Netgear OK, and TP-Link a head-scratcher. Here’s a gist that covers how I setup my wifi thermostats on the same network, whose configuration basically tracked what I did for the cameras: Honeywell VisionPro 8000 on an IoT VLAN · GitHub.

I’ve got more than a dozen cameras v2, v3 and panscan running the RTSP firmware (V2s are on 4.28.4.49) and I’m seeing the RTSP settings get lost over and over again.

The issue I am running into is that both the three and V2 cameras I have seemed to keep forgetting that they were configured for RTSP

I am very excited about the idea of being able to have a server at my house with a consul of all of the camera feeds.

RTSP is very promising to me, but so far I am frustrated because I have to keep going into the Wyze app and configuring RTSP multiple times.

Please help.

I’m running VLC and agentDVR to access the RTSP feeds. When they work, it’s super cool, but so far, not so stable. :frowning: Ideas?

Is it perhaps that your cameras are pulling different IP addresses from your router? That’s the sort of thing you have to worry about when you run your own local network services. The usual workaround is using a DHCP lease reservation for each camera so they maintain the same local addresses…

Thanks for the idea. I did set up DHCP reservations for each camera when I set it up.

I am confirming that the camera has the expected IP address. But the RTSP feed won’t load - so I open the Wyze app, look at the advanced settings for the camera and see that RTSP is “off” when it formerly was “on”

I have a very stable and strong WiFi environment (TP-Link Deco M9 Plus mesh) so that my cameras should be stable. We also have a 400Mbps down/20Mbps up internet connection at the location.

FWIW - I am also seeing that sometimes when I tell the Wyze app to generate the RTSP link it fails to do so. Even if I wait patiently for the app to finish loading before clicking on fields or a button.