Real Time Streaming Protocol (RTSP)

Next up, RTSP on Outdoor Cams?

• Yes, I understand it would drain the battery, but it would be useful if it was near an outdoor plug.
  • Yes, I understand that having it plugged in while outside would no longer make it totally waterproof, but I (along with many others) have strategically placed all of mine under an awning.
  • Yes, I understand that having it plugged in all the time would kill the batteries over time, but this would still be worth it to me

Done properly, the RTSP server URL would live on the base station, and it would wake up the camera only on demand (just as it does for Wyze app viewing).

1 Like

That would work too!

1 Like

The v3 outdoor rated plugged in full time. Hopefully they have an RTSP firmware for it as well.

@StopICU33 thanks, any chance you have any timeline on rtsp FW on v3? Additionally, any chance there is some work done at supporting a usb RJ45 dongle via the USB-A port? You guys have created firmware to make v2 into a webcam, why not add support for an ethernet dongle, that would be simply amazing.

@UserCustomerGwen any chance there is a timeframe when v3 will be able to be ordered from Canada?

Thank you!

1 Like

It’s in the works but I don’t know the ETA.

Additionally, any chance there is some work done at supporting a usb RJ45 dongle via the USB-A port?

There is an existing Wishlist request for POE capable. If you haven’t already, you can jump over to this thread and add your vote.

No, not POE. The USB port used to connect the wyze as a webcam, can be used (with the right coding) to allow the use of a USB to RJ45 dongle/adapter. Camera would still be powered via the power plug. This is the same as many Android media boxes can do, firetv stick etc. Not the same as the POE feature, although that would be nice to have too but I don’t think it will happen as that would required hardware changes where the adapter via the USB port would require only SW changes (code).

Sorry about that my bad. If you want, you can make a new #wishlist request for usb RJ45 dongle.

That has been discussed/requested previously, not sure if it’s already a wishlist.

I got RTSP working on my Yi Outdoor camera. Bonus round I am now able to grab a frame on demand with ffmpeg. ffmpeg is running on my Hoe Assistant server (RPi4) but the mechanics of the frame grab are independent of Home Assistant.

…all to say if RTSP ever works on WyzeCam v3 I can set up more cameras to watch the garden grow.

Bought a v2; enabled RTSP with the firmware update. Blue Iris software saw it and connected. Works perfectly. Then bought two more V2 cams and did the same firmware updates. Again, BI software worked fine with them.

The v3 cam’s improved night sensitivity would be great to have. As soon as RTSP can be made to work in those, I’ll buy some.

2 Likes

Have you every looked at the BI UI3 interface to see how many disconnects you get with those cameras? give that a go, you’d be surprised, there are consistent disconnects/reconnects on those RTSP streams

I’ll bite: Where might I find that “UI3”?

Edit: Looks like that’s a web interface? I have BI eMail me triggered alerts with stills. I can log in using a remote access software to see what’s actually happening in the BI window and even review all video and alerts. I’m not sure what the UI3 will provide that I need. If the video BI is recording seems to be complete without time-code breaks, I imagine I’m getting good results.

Yup the web interface. If you open that and watch it, you will see the Wyze cams disconnect; it reconnects quickly (within 1 or 2 secs) so it will not trigger alerts unless you have that time very short - log in and watch it for a few minutes or look at the logs (top of BI interface in windows, the icon that looks like a chart) Messages tab.

How, was it 3rd party firmware? Does it stream RTSP full time even if Internet drops? Is it secure, can you set login/password on the RTSP stream?

How, was it 3rd party firmware? Does it stream RTSP full time even if Internet drops? Is it secure, can you set login/password on the RTSP stream?

• Yes see: yi-hack-4 and it is NOT all free ($5euros = $6+ USD) if you want to view the RTSP stream
  • Yes… NO external internet connection required
  • Yes… I use tinyCam to view the RTSP stream “locally” (at home), I use Home Assistant (with LetsEncrypt/SSL connection to view remotely

A “bonus” of the Yi Hack is that it includes Pure-FTPd so you can copy files from the camera without physically accessing the SD card. You can cobble together pseudo streaming from the ftp files (and avoid the 5euro charge) if you want.

Ah, well yeah with 3rd party. Now with Wyze and the RTSP firmware that is also supported while being able to use the APP, moving off to no easy app… if there was TinyCam Pro on IOS, no problem, but there isn’t and there will likely never be, complications with VPNing into home when away from home for others in the household makes things … “complicated”… so Wyze it is, for now… :slight_smile:

agreed… I have two V3s on order and high hopes for supported RTSP availability from Wyze.

Hi, folks!

We’re working on getting an RTSP update going now. Newer Wyze Cam hardware (purchased since July - August) is not compatible with the existing one. It will take at least a couple of weeks but this update will have a security update, be based on a more recent Wyze Cam firmware version, and be compatible with all Wyze Cam v2 cameras. :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Awesome news! Can you tell us if the rtsp implementation is reworked or carried over “as is”.

1 Like