Real Time Streaming Protocol (RTSP)

Thank you.

Any chance the new device has enough memory that you can offer RTSP without needing a custom, unmaintained firmware?

2 Likes

@paul4004 You’re welcome! I haven’t heard any more about it at this point. However, Wyze will send out an announcement with the full details when it’s implemented.

@teredactle Since Wyze just launched the v3, I really don’t know what the ETA is. You can reach out to Gwendolyn on buying the v3 in Canada, they may have answer to that question.

2 Likes

I really hope this is the case (upgraded memory) and agree that it should not be a forked firmware that never gets updated. I tried the v2 but can really only run one camera because the connection becomes unreliable with more than one unit.

1 Like

Under the heading of “some folks are never satisfied”…

Not only do I want RTSP support (for which I have cast my vote) on the V3 (of which I just ordered 2 for testing) I would also like to have ftp support for bulk copies of the SD card (as I would prefer to avoid fetching the camera to remove the SD card).

1 Like

This!
It is a major pain to have to remove the SD card for a few reasons

1. it could be in a spot where you need a step(ladder) to get it
  2. one out of 5 times, the sd card goes flying out due to the spring loaded mechanism
  3. each time the camera needs to be realigned because of the “floppiness” of it’s rotation/inclination design (some cameras have become so loose that they will never stay put under their own weight)
  4. this feature should be implemented because the “view playback” feature although a good concept, sucks in real life application

So I would also like to see that this is somewhere on the roadmap!

2 years and 1,000 votes. “Maybe later.”

@Customer … thanks for the reminder… I see that I have already Voted for remote access to the SD card, but over the last 2 years I forgot. :grinning:

1 Like

Next up, RTSP on Outdoor Cams?

• Yes, I understand it would drain the battery, but it would be useful if it was near an outdoor plug.
  • Yes, I understand that having it plugged in while outside would no longer make it totally waterproof, but I (along with many others) have strategically placed all of mine under an awning.
  • Yes, I understand that having it plugged in all the time would kill the batteries over time, but this would still be worth it to me

Done properly, the RTSP server URL would live on the base station, and it would wake up the camera only on demand (just as it does for Wyze app viewing).

1 Like

That would work too!

1 Like

The v3 outdoor rated plugged in full time. Hopefully they have an RTSP firmware for it as well.

@StopICU33 thanks, any chance you have any timeline on rtsp FW on v3? Additionally, any chance there is some work done at supporting a usb RJ45 dongle via the USB-A port? You guys have created firmware to make v2 into a webcam, why not add support for an ethernet dongle, that would be simply amazing.

@UserCustomerGwen any chance there is a timeframe when v3 will be able to be ordered from Canada?

Thank you!

1 Like

It’s in the works but I don’t know the ETA.

Additionally, any chance there is some work done at supporting a usb RJ45 dongle via the USB-A port?

There is an existing Wishlist request for POE capable. If you haven’t already, you can jump over to this thread and add your vote.

No, not POE. The USB port used to connect the wyze as a webcam, can be used (with the right coding) to allow the use of a USB to RJ45 dongle/adapter. Camera would still be powered via the power plug. This is the same as many Android media boxes can do, firetv stick etc. Not the same as the POE feature, although that would be nice to have too but I don’t think it will happen as that would required hardware changes where the adapter via the USB port would require only SW changes (code).

Sorry about that my bad. If you want, you can make a new #wishlist request for usb RJ45 dongle.

That has been discussed/requested previously, not sure if it’s already a wishlist.

I got RTSP working on my Yi Outdoor camera. Bonus round I am now able to grab a frame on demand with ffmpeg. ffmpeg is running on my Hoe Assistant server (RPi4) but the mechanics of the frame grab are independent of Home Assistant.

…all to say if RTSP ever works on WyzeCam v3 I can set up more cameras to watch the garden grow.

Bought a v2; enabled RTSP with the firmware update. Blue Iris software saw it and connected. Works perfectly. Then bought two more V2 cams and did the same firmware updates. Again, BI software worked fine with them.

The v3 cam’s improved night sensitivity would be great to have. As soon as RTSP can be made to work in those, I’ll buy some.

2 Likes

Have you every looked at the BI UI3 interface to see how many disconnects you get with those cameras? give that a go, you’d be surprised, there are consistent disconnects/reconnects on those RTSP streams

I’ll bite: Where might I find that “UI3”?

Edit: Looks like that’s a web interface? I have BI eMail me triggered alerts with stills. I can log in using a remote access software to see what’s actually happening in the BI window and even review all video and alerts. I’m not sure what the UI3 will provide that I need. If the video BI is recording seems to be complete without time-code breaks, I imagine I’m getting good results.