Questions about video quality

So I have a Wyze cam v2 facing out a window. I mainly use it while I am at work so I can watch the street in front of my house. I have an sd card in it. When I am at work I have to have the video set to SD instead of HD because the picture is garbage in HD. However when I am home I can have it set to HD and it looks great.

Is it simply that my connection to the camera is better in my homes WiFi? What kind of picture is being saved to the sd card? I don’t own a computer but if I pulled the sd card out and popped it in a computer would the recording be better then what I’m live streaming?

Thanks!

Theoretically this difference is attributable entirely to (a) your home ISP’s ability to upload and (b) your cell provider’s or work ISP network’s ability to download. There are other factors though. Perhaps your 3G/4G signal at work is suboptimal or perhaps your provider is throttling.

When you are at home the cameras are streaming directly to your phone over your local WiFi network (presuming you have the phone’s WiFi on). That’s why it’s better there.

The video on your camera’s SD card should be maximum resolution, so the answer to your last question is yes. Be sure to have motion or continuous recording to SD card set in the camera. Lastly, I’m sure you know but “SD card” has nothing to do with SD resolution. (Secure Digital vs. Standard Definition)

1 Like

That makes a lot of sense and what I thought was happening though I was not sure. I’m especially glad to hear about the recording being the best possible to the sd card.

Thanks!

1 Like