Question about if wyze goes out of business

Someone correct me if I am wrong but you could leverage the RTSP firmware on the cameras outside of Wyze… not entirely sure of how that works with local management of cameras though. You could connect them to an NVR with that firmware. I have around 60 cameras now myself.

The answer to that is yes/no…the RTSP firmware still relies on the Wyze servers at startup. One could use Dafang on the V2 cameras but not V3s. Also on the PanCams, I think.

Not Wyze but I dealt with OSRAM shutting down Lightify last August.

OSRAM released a local control app for the hub and bulbs. On top of that my 3rd party tool was able to control these bulbs via the hub as well. In addition 3rd party tool also has a Google Drive connection which provides a web interface to all of my Wemos and former Lightify gear.

1 Like

Is there some reason this is an issue? Is there a problem with Wyze that suggests their business is on thin ice? If so, it might be wise to not get in too deep.

They released a video saying they had a tough time during the height of the pandemic, but they have diversified and are selling other products now. Unfortunately, many look at that as bad, lol.

I think much of the push back they receive is on this basis:

If they could juggle all the balls expertly there’d be no beef.

Or, to frame it positively:

When they can juggle all the balls expertly there will be no beef.

:slight_smile:

First search hit for juggling beef balls.

230px-Beefball_closeup

2 Likes

I think there is legitimate concern for Wyze and their products. Many products, including the cameras and home security line, seem to be on unstable firmware at the moment and Wyze seems unable to release fixes for many of them. The support system is currently a joke. If you can get through on the phone lines many complain the fix offered is a replacement piece of hardware when plainly the issue is with the firmware. I know there was a typhoon that affected the support group, but Wyze needs an alternative if it is going to be a long term issue.

There is much discussion regarding the concentration on new products and subscription services. There needs to be some concentrated efforts on making AI (CamPlus) and HMS functional and reliable, which neither is at the moment. New products are fine if they aren’t released to the detriment of maintaining existing lines.

3 Likes

:rofl: :cow: :man_juggling:

1 Like

Some manufacturers escrow code for release in the event of dissolution. My software platform, LiveCode, is one of those.

This can’t solve everything and there can be third party licensed code that they can’t release, but it helps.

Wyze has a string of dependencies on other providers. Releasing their own server code seems really unlikely to help restore the customary functions of the cameras and devices…

It not just the availability of the code that’s an issue. There must also be an entity available and willing to take on the responsibility for installing/maintaining the code, building the server farm, replicating the existing support infrastructure (AWS, and whatever else), and obtaining the necessary back-end data stores (customer information, product registrations, etc.) necessary for the entire process to function - and doing this without the benefit of having the revenue from the original sale of the products to underwrite the cost. There’s no financial upside for the company taking on the effort without imposing ongoing periodic service fees and hoping enough existing Wyze customers will sign up for that.

Personally, I don’t see that happening for $30 cameras, $8 smart plugs, etc. Bottom line is if Wyze were to go ‘belly up’ there will be a lot of non-functional Wyze products heading for landfills. and their former owners looking for alternatives.

2 Likes

Which is a long and accurate way of agreeing with my first sentence. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yep, I’m feeling rather circumlocutory and verbose today. :laughing: No usurpation or expropriation of your post content was intended. :wink:

Seriously though I was just pointing out some, of many, specific real world impediments to continuing the back-end processes that might not be obvious.

1 Like

Absolutely. You also made me feel a little guilty for not providing as much detail. We are in synch here, no troubles.

My apologies for that, it was certainly not intended.

1 Like

I was about to post the question of "What happens if Wyze where to go belly up or get bought up by another company who opted to shut down some or all of the services needed by current Wyze products that will only be functional with services provided by Wyze.

Reading through this thread, I see no ‘official answer’ from Wyze on this subject, I see many thoughts and opinions from us, the consumers.

I’m no were close to being financially invested in the numbers of Wyze products that some folks have. But I have enough Wyze products in place, that if Wyze ceased operations tomorrow, I’d be an unhappy camper.

I guess, from my Wyze purchase list below… my Wyze Weatherproof Sprinkler Controller box would still function properly in keeping the ‘Weather’ out of the otherwise useless Wyze Sprinkler Controller should Wyze cease operations

I think I need a 12 step program for my Potential Wyze Addiction… Sort of like a Lay’s Potato Chip… you can eat just one.

Does Wyze have an official list of their products with a column that list status of device without Wyze Services available or useless with loss of power and/or Internet connectivity?

I’m assuming Most of Wyze Products become permanently useless without the existance of Wyze as a company, or temporarily useless with loss of power and/or internet.

My current Wyze Addiction has let me to purchasing the following:

• 1 Video Doorbell (Dead without cloud Services?)

• 5 V3’s (with the RTSP firmware usable without cloud services?)

• 2 V2’s (with the RTSP firmware usable without cloud services?)

• 8 WCO’s, / Two Base Stations? (Dead without cloud Services?)

• 2 Pan Cam V2s ? (Dead without cloud Services?)

• 1 Wyze Sense Hub (Dead without cloud Services?)

• 2 Entry Sensors (6 more new in the Box) (Dead without cloud Services?)

• 3 Motion Sensors (2 more new in the Box) (Dead without cloud Services?)

• 1 Thermostat (Dead without cloud Services?)

• 6 Wyze Color Light Bulbs (Dead without cloud Services?)

• 2 Light Strips (Dead without cloud Services?)

• 4 Wyze Plugs (Dead without cloud Services?)

• 1 Wyze Sprinkler Controller (new in the box, not yet installed) (Dead without cloud Services?)

• 1 Wyze Weatherproof Sprinkler Controller box . . .

• 1 Wyze Car (stupid purchase…) (Dead without cloud Services?)

SJ

1 Like

You could load the Dafang firmware on these and still have RTSP and camera functionality. However, I think you’re right on the rest.

The Single Point of failure we current have in place with most Wyze products… doesn’t give me warm fuzzies…

Power gone, my Wyze products are useless
ISP goes down, My Wyze products are useless
Wyze no longer exists as a company, My Wyze Products are useless

Ok… maybe that’s even worse… Three single points of failure… and I have useless Circuit Boards and Plastic…

Perhaps we should present this as a question on Fix-It Friday… but…it’s not a ‘BUG’.,… so probably wouldn’t be addressed by Wyze in that format.

I’d like to know if there is a contingency plan should Wyze cease to exist for any reason. Will there be a way to to use Wyze Products if that should happen, or do we all collectively toss all of our Wyze Products into the Landfill when that occurs?

Is there an ‘Escrow’ account setup for that inevitable day that we all hope never happens?

Interesting Articles on this very subject:

SJ

Based on the need to phone home aren’t both the V2 and V3 still useless with Wyze RTSP firmware? That is, both should still be in “dead without cloud services”. All you’ve really got left are the handheld vacuum and the socks. :wink:

(Dafang on V2 and SOME 3rd party hacks notwithstanding.)