Question about if wyze goes out of business

I’ve got a lot of wyze devices (lights (all), plugs, cameras, vacuums, locks etc) around 110 total (not including the new ones I just got and haven’t hooked up yet). But I seen the video talking about their future. I started thinking, what if they go out of business?

Yes I know they have the firmware for the cameras (some, not all yet) so we can use them with other local software and hardware, but what about the other products. Lights, sensors, vacuum etc? Would they release firmware for us to keep using the items or would we be just out of luck?

I hope they keep going, and yes, I know companies go out of business or even just stop supporting their products (errr, Apple and Google) and tell you to just buy something else. But this is the first time that have invested in something that could all stop working the next few minutes.

I am trying to help by using camplus, I have 29 set up, but I also know that could stop if everything dried up.

I was just wondering what everyone else thought or planned on, just in case.

1 Like

That is easier said than done and unlikely to happen. Personally I’m more worried about a Leviton discontinuing support because I have their switches in my walls. I hope I get off my butt and start putting together a HomeAssistant system with all local control. But I don’t know of any smart vacuums that have it?

1 Like

Likely not, and even if they did the problems would extend well beyond that. The majority of Wyze ‘smart’ products are controlled, at least to some extent, through their servers. If they go out of business then no servers, no servers equals no functionality. A bunch of people will be, how should I say this? - SOL.

1 Like

Apple no longer supports my Newton MessagePad. Welcome to the technology treadmill where obsolescence is a feature, not a bug.

It would be nice if they’d escrow their software and open source it should they fail but why would they?

1 Like

I’m concerned about this as well. I’m starting to install Z-wave outlets and light switches to prevent being locked into one ecosystem. I also have Kasa smart plugs which can be activated via scripts on my local network without a need for any cloud. If I had to, I could convert MOST of my Wyze cameras to various RTSP firmwares. I only have two for which that won’t work at the moment.

My Wyze plugs, bulbs and sensors are an entirely different matter. Not sure there would be anyway to salvage them if Wyze falters. There maybe some third party firmware of which I’m unaware but I’m not relying on that. I’m going to diversify away from Wyze because I feel uncomfortable regarding its future.

1 Like

Given the cost of the products, I would just find another one to replace them. The concern is for everything technological in life. Why worry?

Cost of replacements.

1 Like

Same… I have 53 cameras, 4 locks, 2 vacuums, 38 lights, 25 plugs,1 outdoor plug, 2 hubs, 10 door sensors, 18 motion sensors and more…

That would cost a little bit to replace just if they shut the servers.

1 Like

Someone correct me if I am wrong but you could leverage the RTSP firmware on the cameras outside of Wyze… not entirely sure of how that works with local management of cameras though. You could connect them to an NVR with that firmware. I have around 60 cameras now myself.

The answer to that is yes/no…the RTSP firmware still relies on the Wyze servers at startup. One could use Dafang on the V2 cameras but not V3s. Also on the PanCams, I think.

Not Wyze but I dealt with OSRAM shutting down Lightify last August.

OSRAM released a local control app for the hub and bulbs. On top of that my 3rd party tool was able to control these bulbs via the hub as well. In addition 3rd party tool also has a Google Drive connection which provides a web interface to all of my Wemos and former Lightify gear.

1 Like

Is there some reason this is an issue? Is there a problem with Wyze that suggests their business is on thin ice? If so, it might be wise to not get in too deep.

They released a video saying they had a tough time during the height of the pandemic, but they have diversified and are selling other products now. Unfortunately, many look at that as bad, lol.

I think much of the push back they receive is on this basis:

If they could juggle all the balls expertly there’d be no beef.

Or, to frame it positively:

When they can juggle all the balls expertly there will be no beef.

:slight_smile:

First search hit for juggling beef balls.

230px-Beefball_closeup

2 Likes

I think there is legitimate concern for Wyze and their products. Many products, including the cameras and home security line, seem to be on unstable firmware at the moment and Wyze seems unable to release fixes for many of them. The support system is currently a joke. If you can get through on the phone lines many complain the fix offered is a replacement piece of hardware when plainly the issue is with the firmware. I know there was a typhoon that affected the support group, but Wyze needs an alternative if it is going to be a long term issue.

There is much discussion regarding the concentration on new products and subscription services. There needs to be some concentrated efforts on making AI (CamPlus) and HMS functional and reliable, which neither is at the moment. New products are fine if they aren’t released to the detriment of maintaining existing lines.

3 Likes

:rofl: :cow: :man_juggling:

1 Like

Some manufacturers escrow code for release in the event of dissolution. My software platform, LiveCode, is one of those.

This can’t solve everything and there can be third party licensed code that they can’t release, but it helps.

Wyze has a string of dependencies on other providers. Releasing their own server code seems really unlikely to help restore the customary functions of the cameras and devices…

It not just the availability of the code that’s an issue. There must also be an entity available and willing to take on the responsibility for installing/maintaining the code, building the server farm, replicating the existing support infrastructure (AWS, and whatever else), and obtaining the necessary back-end data stores (customer information, product registrations, etc.) necessary for the entire process to function - and doing this without the benefit of having the revenue from the original sale of the products to underwrite the cost. There’s no financial upside for the company taking on the effort without imposing ongoing periodic service fees and hoping enough existing Wyze customers will sign up for that.

Personally, I don’t see that happening for $30 cameras, $8 smart plugs, etc. Bottom line is if Wyze were to go ‘belly up’ there will be a lot of non-functional Wyze products heading for landfills. and their former owners looking for alternatives.

2 Likes