Print a Look-Through-Window at Selected View Angles w Back Light Shield for V3 Camera

Hello, People.

The title of this post is describing what I have been referring to in previous posts as Square Tube Glare Shields. They are really rounded square tube glare shields that are taped to the window and incorporate a square glare shield which also provide ample taping area (see picture 2).

The camera’s magnetic base is removed to lessen the weight of the camera with a glare shield and also provide a simple and sleek appearance.

This post contains a link to a zipped directory called Master Sq Tube Glare Shield Folder that contains the following subdirectories:

0 Setup & Support Sq Tube Glare Shield__________ Contains 14 support and information files.

1 Aiming One Direction Sq Tube Glare Shield___ Contains 10 STL files, each can be used 4 ways.

2 Aiming Left & Down Sq Tube Glare Shield _______Contains 25 STL files for Left & Down region.

3 Aiming Right & Down Sq Tube Glare Shield ___Contains 25 STL files for Right & Down region.

4 Aiming Left & Up Sq Tube Glare Shield__________Contain 25 STL files for the Left & Up region.

5 Aiming Right & Up Sq Tube Glare Shield_________ Contains 25 STL files for Right & Up region.

x________________________________________________________________x

0 Setup & Support Sq Tube Glare Shield:

This directory provides support files and images to assist in determining camera aim angles, and using the Square Tube Glare Shield STL listings:

A PDF file for printing paper protractors

Five JPG files showing how to make a paper transit (see 1 of the set below).

A JPG file showing a printed square tube glare shield and an installed camera filler plate (pic 2).

Two JPG files of two versions of power cord anchors (one is shown in picture 3).

Three STL files for two versions of camera power cord anchors and a camera notch filler plate (second picture),

Two Word files with instructions.

1 Aiming One Direction Sq Tube Glare Shield:___________Contains 10 STL files.

This directory is a listing of Square Tube Glare Shields containing only one angle. 90° rotations of a printed file provide a unit that can be aimed Left, Right, Up, or Down. For a straight-ahead unit, print the first file – Square Tube 0° Lt Rt Up Down Shield.stl. There are ten files ranging from 0° to 45° at 5° intervals.

The rest of the aiming directories starting with 2 thru 5:___These 4 directories total 100 STL files.

Each of these four directories has its own aim region. These aim regions are Left & Down, Right & Down, Left & Up, and Right & Up. Each of these directories lists Square Tube Glare Shields with vertical and horizontal angles ranging from 10° to 30° in 5° increments.

The Sq. Tube Glare Shields by the nature of their shape can have field-of-view interference. At horizontal angles of 25° or larger, the view of the shield itself occupies part of the camera’s field of view. This is why the two-angled shields stop at 30° angles.

Picking a Square Tube STL file for your through-the-window camera location:

Choose the directory that corresponds to the camera’s aim region i.e. Left & Down or Right & Down or one of the other two regions. Determine the horizontal (Lt or RT) and vertical (Down or Up) angles for your camera setup using the paper transit (first picture above). Look up the file that corresponds to the measured angles in the appropriate region directory. The second picture above is a print from file: Sq Tube 25°Rt 20°Dn Shield.stl from the directory: 3 Aiming Right & Down Sq Tube Glare Shield.

x------------------------------------------------------------------------x

Unzipping all of the files in all of the directories will require about 51.2 MB.

The italic font paragraph above describes the field-of-view image restrictions caused by the square tube shield itself. Below are some pictures of the limitation

The 30° limit on the two-angle shield results in about a 23% loss of field of view.

Often at 25° and lower the side of the window will occupy that much image or more.

If someone should want a two-angle square tube glare shield that includes aim angles up to 45°. Let me know. I can calculate and draw it up in 30 min.

All of the material in this post is free to you to do as you please with it.

Till later Victor.

13 Likes

Well…
Thank you so much for this post and the link to the files. This was indeed very well done!
Having done a few articles similar to this I realize how much effort and time goes into this level of documentation.
Again, thank you for sharing your work with us and taking the time to create such fine instructions. Stay safe,
John

1 Like

Thank you so much johnny9 for your kind words. It was a lot more work than I envisioned, glad it makes sense.