Power Over Ethernet Setup (PoE)

6 Likes

Nice video.
You didn’t mention if you powered the PoE 48V power supply from a surge protector. That small addition would be advisable to prevent a surge on the power line from possibly damaging all of the PoE-supplied cameras.

Someone reported that all their cameras blew at the same time using poe

I currently do not have a surge protector on it. I’m looking into using a small UPS battery/surge protector for it.

I’ve had this setup since February. No issues so far. I imagine there can be soo many factors as to why that happened for that person. Hopefully that doesn’t happen to me but, if it does I will surely report it on here.

1 Like

Post in which all cameras were fried. He/she used same POE injector as Nesto with very similar splitters. Surge protector sounds like a great idea.

HI, new to this forum, but I’m also using the WiFi-Texas passive POE injector. presently switching to Wyze, from a cheap, ultra reliable, yet low resolution 8ch 720P Zosi system. Knowing in 2016 when I installed this system that siamese cable would be irrelevant in a few years, I went with CAT6 and baluns, with passive POE @ 12v being provided over wires + 4,5 (blue/bluewhite) and -7,8 (brown/brownwhite). Along comes Wyse, blowing my (now obsolete) $120.00 per ea. 2 mp Hikvision dreams away. This couldn’t have been easier: 12vdc over CAT6 to the cameras to ensure no voltage drop once regulated on site, and these rock-solid step down regulators inside the mounting shaft of the exterior pivot mounts. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076P4C42B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Next hack is going to be external antennas: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005UWD0EG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Ultimately however hardwired is the goal.

1 Like

I’m remodeling my house and would like exterior Wyze cams at the corners of the house with nice overhangs. If you were rewiring during a remodel, would you use POE to most/all of the Wyze cams? And wouldn’t make sense to power all of the Alex & Google mini’s as well?

Seems rather simple and eliminates wires dangling to outlets on the interior. Also, would you go with a 802.3af or at (14w or 30w, respectively) switch?

I have the same question. I can’t seem to get power to my POE to micro usb splitting using this 802.31f compliant switch.

BV-Tech 9 Port PoE+ Switch (8 PoE+ Ports | 1 Uplink Port) – 120W – 802.3af/at

Do you think it could be under powered?

No. According to the product listing, that BV-Tech switch is rated at up to 30W per port. A V2 camera draws around 1.6W in day mode, and 2.2W in night mode (if the IR LEDs are on). The switch can deliver plenty of power.

Most likely your POE to micro USB splitting device is not properly negotiating the supply of power from the switch. The POE switch won’t send power over the cable unless the PD (powered device) asks for it, using a protocol specified in 802.3af/at.