Power Over Ethernet Setup (PoE)

5 Likes

Nice video.
You didn’t mention if you powered the PoE 48V power supply from a surge protector. That small addition would be advisable to prevent a surge on the power line from possibly damaging all of the PoE-supplied cameras.

Someone reported that all their cameras blew at the same time using poe

I currently do not have a surge protector on it. I’m looking into using a small UPS battery/surge protector for it.

I’ve had this setup since February. No issues so far. I imagine there can be soo many factors as to why that happened for that person. Hopefully that doesn’t happen to me but, if it does I will surely report it on here.

1 Like

Post in which all cameras were fried. He/she used same POE injector as Nesto with very similar splitters. Surge protector sounds like a great idea.

HI, new to this forum, but I’m also using the WiFi-Texas passive POE injector. presently switching to Wyze, from a cheap, ultra reliable, yet low resolution 8ch 720P Zosi system. Knowing in 2016 when I installed this system that siamese cable would be irrelevant in a few years, I went with CAT6 and baluns, with passive POE @ 12v being provided over wires + 4,5 (blue/bluewhite) and -7,8 (brown/brownwhite). Along comes Wyse, blowing my (now obsolete) $120.00 per ea. 2 mp Hikvision dreams away. This couldn’t have been easier: 12vdc over CAT6 to the cameras to ensure no voltage drop once regulated on site, and these rock-solid step down regulators inside the mounting shaft of the exterior pivot mounts. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076P4C42B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Next hack is going to be external antennas: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005UWD0EG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Ultimately however hardwired is the goal.

1 Like

I’m remodeling my house and would like exterior Wyze cams at the corners of the house with nice overhangs. If you were rewiring during a remodel, would you use POE to most/all of the Wyze cams? And wouldn’t make sense to power all of the Alex & Google mini’s as well?

Seems rather simple and eliminates wires dangling to outlets on the interior. Also, would you go with a 802.3af or at (14w or 30w, respectively) switch?