Power Over Ethernet (POE) capable

There are already a number of manufacturers who provide PoE-to-USB power taps. Just use Google to search for POE to USB adapter. The costs range from $10 to $129.

I have my POE cabers (not Wyze) connected to switches that are connected to UPS, so I get the backup that I require. Works wonderfully and would be great with Wyze if they actually added hard connections with POE support.

1 Like

The point should not be that you have to go out an but yet another splitter. Have a camera that is hard wired with POE, especially if intended for outdoor security use. In these camera’s you can even remove the WiFi capability (making them more secure) and enable easy setup over the wired network.

I suspect you could get massive business for home owners wanting perimeter cameras. I currently have 5 such units at one home and 4 at another. They are good cameras but cost a crazy amount to buy.

1 Like

I have many POE cameras already installed all around my house, connected to a hard drive / hub (as many people do since they have been selling these kits at Costco for years). I just want to be able to replace those old cameras with the Wyze Outdoor cameras. So the Ethernet would be plugged directly into the Wyze Outdoor Cams, and all the cameras would be plugged into a hub, then the hub is plugged into the internet (with an SD card somewhere). This way, I don’t have to worry about batteries. For the engineers at Wyze, this seems to be an easy one (much easier than the outdoor cam they already created, which I ordered, and which will be great for certain situations, but not ideal for multi-camera continuous security surveillance where you want to set it and forget it).

1 Like

Just to keep this request alive :slight_smile: I think many people would be happy with an outdoor V2 (or a V3 ?) with a POE port at the back : D

3 Likes

They should release a POE base as a separate device. Cat cable plugs into base, base has a micro USB connector to connect to camera.

2 Likes

As an owner of the new Outdoor Cam, I’d really appreciate if the base unit had PoE. My router is in the back of my house and plugging in the base near my router only receives a “weak” signal. But there are no outlets near the front of my house and I had to run both a 25’ ethernet cable and 25’ extension cord so I could relocate the base at the front of my house so it was close enough to the Outdoor Cam to get a “strong” signal. PoE would have allowed me the flexibility to only run a single cable. This would be a great option in V2.

1 Like

Here’s another vote for a true POE/RTSP camera, e.g. not using a power extractor, and with data transferred over Ethernet. I have 7 security cameras around my house, and places for 3-4 more, plus my parents’ house with spots for 9 cameras, and they’re all wired up for POE.

Motion detection on my existing cameras is horrible, because they pick up shadows and swaying trees, etc. I would replace them all with a true POE Wyze cam if such a camera were available.

2 Likes

Hey everyone, I don’t know if it is true but this article about the V3 mentioned that a PoE accessory is coming. Hopefully we can see this!

1 Like

Hope so but if your in a hurry you can use this one. I have and it works like a charm.
https://smile.amazon.com/DSLRKIT-Active-Splitter-Female-802-3af/dp/B073P7J1KR/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=DSLRKIT+Active+PoE+Splitter+48V+to+5V+5.2V+2.4A+USB+Type+A+Female+802.3af+for+Tablet&qid=1605886701&s=electronics&sr=1-1

yea, but it doesnt support data.

I have no need for data over mine with my Wyze cameras but other people on Amazon who have reviewed it say it will work at 10/100mbs but will not support 1000mbs. The issue is they are not auto sensing so you have to set your switch to 100mbs or buy a 100mbs switch.

I would test if for you but I no longer have a 100mbs switch and none of my Gig switches are manageable.

jd11, the POE extractor will carry data, but the WyzeCam won’t send any over the USB link.