Power for Outdoor V3 cam

I need a plan to power V3 cams at front edges of wrap around porch. I have a centrally located switch on 2nd floor. I can easily run cabling through attic which is attached to area over the porch ceiling (the area between roof and top vinyl ceiling of porch), I can then drop the cable wherever I want to attach cam to a porch post and it would still be sheltered from direct precip, too

Is PoE an option, so I can just use the Cat6 cable for power? It would much easier (and safer) than running a 120v receptacle/box to every point. Are there PoE boxes that have adapters for the micro connector coming out of the cam (I assume it is 5v)? Thanks in advance for your assistance.

1 Like

There are certainly PoE to 5 volt micro USB adapters available, as I’ve seen links to them posted at least a couple of times before on the forums.

Most of those appear to provide both 5V via micro USB plus Ethernet, although you wouldn’t be needing the latter:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=poe+to+micro+usb&i=electronics&crid=E15CUIL2EPNP&sprefix=poe+to+micro+usb%2Celectronics%2C123&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

Depending on the distance of the run you simply go with a longer USB power cable. Users have used those successfully in the past. I’ve seen them over 40 feet in length on Amazon, although the longer one goes, the greater the chance of a voltage drop that would lead to unstable operation.

2 Likes

Yes, PoE is definitely an option. I have all of mine wired with PoE. Here is the link I provided someone else:

1 Like

Your best bet is have a license electiation do it

Since No one searches the forum much…LOL

@kae4560 - I am a licensed electrician and IBEW union member, but Low Voltage wiring does not require a licensed electrician…

I Cut & Paste my method for outdoor camera wiring frequently…

You could also consider using “Low Voltage Wiring” and burying the wire from an A.C. power outlet (indoors) power supply to the cameras. Then use a 12 volt to 5 volt micro-USB regulator adapter and install to camera.

The power Supply mounts indoors but the cable to camera can be longer as the 5 volts is regulated at the camera. And Voltage drop due to cable length is not an issue as the regulator will work with as low as 9 volts input.

I have ran over 180 feet of 2 conductor cable to camera with this setup, use low voltage lighting wiring it can be buried, it is weatherproof and UV resistant.

Connect the 12v to 5v micro-USB regulator adapter to cable matching polarity ( +red -black ) along cable where a camera is needed if more than 1 camera just get a 12 volt adapter with more current (Amps) The Adapter regulator is weatherproof except the micro-USB itself but the boot on the V3 takes care of that.

Links below to several power supplies, 1 Amp for 1 camera, 2 Amp for 2 cameras, or 5 amp for 5 cameras,
choose according to your needs. The cable run can have multiple connections for cameras along cable.

12 volt input to 5 volt output micro-USB cable (adapter)

12 volt power supply 1 amp with connector adapter

12 volt power supply 2 amp with connector adapter

12 volt power supply 5 amp with connector adapter

14/2 Low Voltage Landscape Wire - 100 feet

Gardner Bender 25-1W1 Watergard Weatherproof Twist-On Wire Connectors, 22-12 AWG, Small Direct-Buried

This location originally had a V2 in an enclosure, the 12v to 5v adapter has been exposed to rain, snow, and heat of summer for over 3 years. Recently replaced V2 with a V3

Below is an event captured by this camera, note I don’t use IR as I get too many flying bug triggers.

This is a link to my Overly-Engineered Wyze Cam setup…LOL
Battery Backed-Up 14 V3 cams and Internet Communications

4 Likes

That works,what our service technicians did at a few remote sites we only have solar there they ran all cameras off of the solar and a down converter, it’s a t way radio and FM radio stations the elevations are 10,900FT,12,675 FT

Licensed electrican for 5 volt? Ah, nope. No license needed for owner work anyway,

And BTW, I DID search the forum in advance.

Its 120ac to a wall-wort that’s 5.0 vdc,we just ran 2 lines and set 2 boxes 1 in front,1 in the rear

So if I’m following this correctly… I can replace my current closed circuit system which is POE with wyze cams without having to run usb power all through my attic because I’ve already done the work with ethernet? I just need the switch for power and the adapters at the cams?

That is correct. Your PoE cable will work for power. Purchase the Splitter and plug the Ethernet cable in that then plug the power into the camera. you can test this with one of your cameras first to verify. Please note, The Camera will still be connected via WiFi but the power will be provided via the Ethernet / PoE setup.

I did this to prep for when and if Wyze activates an Ethernet option on the v3 or if they come out with a PoE option.