Power Draw?

Does anyone know what the continuous power draw is for both the Wyze Cam v2 and the Wyze Cam Pan?

1 Like

This should answer your question:
https://support.wyzecam.com/hc/en-us/articles/360031128132-How-much-power-do-the-Wyze-cams-use-

1 Like

To add, here is some conversation on the topic also…

1 Like

Thank you but I am trying to build a system in which it draws from a battery and I need to calculate the power draw in order to know how quickly the battery will be drained. This way I can ensure that I have enough solar power to keep the battery pack charged.

1 Like

My V2 cameras draw about 330mA (measured) with the IR LEDs off.
And 430 mA with the LEDs on, at max.
The power consumption does not change if the camera is turned ‘off’ with the app.

My Pan-cam draws 300mA (measured).
520mA with the LEDs on.
Up to 800mA with the LEDs on and the pan motor running.

6 Likes

I am considering using this to plug it into:

Now I need to calculate the overall power draw so that I can figure out what else I can use the power bank to do but ensure that the solar keeps it charged to provide enough power during sundown.

1 Like

kbmore10,
Be aware that a lot of USB battery packs terminate the output voltage when they are being charged (from the wall, from solar). You’ll need a battery pack that supports “pass-through charging”. A lot of Anker products don’t.

4 Likes

What other metrics are you looking for that arnt in this thread or the pages linked here?

1 Like

Thanks! I just found one that did:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XZ6KSG3

1 Like

I am not sure; I am winging this project a bit. I need to be able to measure how much each Wyze camera draws per day/hour then also my wifi hotspot. All of this will draw from my power pack that is being charged by the solar panel(s). I need to calculate all of this to tell me either my camera limitations or how much solar power I need to draw.

2 Likes

This topic (solar powered Wyze) has been covered a lot on threads here. If you ask Ms. Google for help, you can probably find a complete recipe: batteries, solar cells, charge controllers, etc.

1 Like

That is good data. Did you notice no difference when the camera was actively uploading to cloud? Writing to SD? Different resolutions?

3 Likes

There is a lot of good info in this thread:

2 Likes

I’ve observed no appreciable difference in power consumption when it’s streaming video (or not), writing to SD, playing from SD, etc. Of course, the IR illuminators have a big impact (and they can operate at different power levels). As do the motors in the pan-cam.

2 Likes

Thank you. Weird that powering down the sensor has no effect.

1 Like

@Customer
The sensor itself consumes very little power compared to the rest of the components.

The so-called ‘on/off’ is a logical (firmware) control that disables some camera functions (streaming video, etc). The internal CPU, memory, WiFi radio, and other circuits remain powered even when you think you’ve turned it ‘off’. If fact, when it’s ‘off’, it’s still chit-chatting with Wyze servers.

2 Likes

Sounds like a very interesting project! :slightly_smiling_face: I hope you’ll share your progress with the group!

1 Like

Has a “power save” mode ever been considered where it will do the bare minimum to turn on/off based on commands from the Wyze server (used initiated)?

That’s a question you’d need to pose to the Wyze design team.

1 Like

I just ran this setup for exactly 1 hour. (V2, supplied charging cord and 5v1a power brick, IR off, continuous recording, no event cloud recording, minimal live streaming only to verify settings.). The amps and volts stayed about what’s shown the whole time, unless I connected to Livestream then it spiked at about .450a usage I believe, then once connected it chilled out back around .300ish.

The below pic was taken right at one hour.

Watched the clouds pass.

3 Likes