Got two plugs and was able to set them up properly, each on its own schedule.
Then I made the mistake of grouping them, and right away, both plugs started having identical schedules. No matter what I do nothing fixes the problem. I even deleted and reset them. As soon as I set up the second of two plugs, the new (2nd) plug exhibits the same schedule as the first.
I searched and found this thread:
That’s exactly what I’ve been doing, and it doesn’t work now. Keep in mind that these plugs worked before, until grouped. The I deleted all groupings to see if that’s the problem. Didn’t work.
On top of the bad user interface for plugs, this is just a very bad bug that should have been caught during testing. It’s so bad, I had to re-install my old smart (diff brand) plugs. Was hoping to remove an extra app from my device.