Plugged in all the time?

New to WYZE . I have a couple of the little cameras. Do I have to keep them plugged into a power source all the time? I thought I saw on the videos that they were just sitting on a counter.

Thanks,

Debby

Yes ,you have to keep them plugged into a power source all the time , there is no batteries in them

so on the video the camera is on the kitchen counter and is pointed at a dog. no cords are coming out of the camera. so this is just for show?

also do you by chance know if I can also see my camera on my lap top or just my cell phone?

Thanks

I don’t know where you saw that video, but yes, it was likely staged that way to show a clean appearance. As HDRock says, the camera has no battery. So if it’s not plugged in, then it’s just a cute paperweight. It is possible to power the camera with a standard USB power bank. In the support section (link at top of this page), there is info on how long various size power banks could be expected to power the camera.

At this time, you can only view the camera’s video on an Android or iOS cellphone or laptop. Wyze is considering the request for web server access, but has not announced any such plans. The only known workaround at this time is to run the TinyCam Pro app on an Android device and use it’s built in web server feature to send the video to a computer web browser.

so techinically i could unplug the camera or the router and this would disable the camera?

so techinically i could unplug the camera or the router and this would disable the camera?

Correct

Pfff. Not sure this is the best option.

Abandoning cart. Someone could simply unplug the camera or wifi and all surveillance would be lost.

If your power was out, or your router was off, Even with a battery operated camera you Would not have any live view or get any alerts Until the power was restored.
If I unplug my TV it doesn’t work anymore :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

I run only laptops these days and have moved all my UPS boxes to my routers and hubs. I just checked that big online seller and they sell a battery pack (Rechargeable 12V 6000mAh/5V 12000mAh DC Output Lithium Ion Battery Pack For LED Strip And CCTV Camera) that has a usb port that will charge and output at the same time. Effectively a USB UPS for just such needs. Problem solved.

Too many variables for tampering and loss of signal

Thanks

I too have battery backup for my Wi-Fi And a couple of battery powered Cams , So I still have a little coverage if power goes down .
Those battery packs Would run one or 2 cameras A long time

They would probably run longer than the UPS on my router/modem. Also, for the same $35, you can get a Standby UPS 400VA 255W, 6 Outlets and just plug the camera in. A little bigger and bulkier, but there are plenty of economical options.

Yeah these would work good and Not a bad price
https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Standby-UPS-400VA-Outlets/dp/B073Q48Z95

Yeah, that’s the UPS I saw. I didn’t know the policy of posting products here. Unless space was an issue, I’d go with that over the battery pack. Also, I bet that uses a fairly standard battery for when it needs replacing. I’ve replaced several batteries in my other UPS boxes.

Side note: I’m not sure why this forum doesn’t show who’s post I’m replying to.

I haven’t figured that out yet either, seems like sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn’t.
What about this @Loki If you noticed this ?

If you don’t see the replied-to button opposite your name, it means you have replied to the post immediately above. If you click the replied-to button, the post that was replied to will pop up immediately above. If click the up arrow in that popup, it will take you to the original post in context.

1 Like

That’s good to know. It removes the distinction that the reply was to a selected post and not the thread itself. But, as HDRock did, we can include the replied to quote. I thought. It even removed the quote I went out of my way to include.

Yes, I’ve seen that too where the system removes the quote if you are quoting the whole post immediately above that you are replying to. If you really want it in there, you can re-add it manually, or try not to quote the entire post to which you are replying.

2 Likes

lol any more you could contribute? you’ve got a good run here. nice bit

Yes, that’s how electricity works.