Plug Caught Fire - burnt shingles on my house

Tell those who lost loved ones that had purchased the Ford Pinto.

Not helpful

Well, that’s the [Mod Edit] response I expected. False equivalency, if there ever was one,

MOD NOTE: Post edited to conform to the Community Guidelines.

2 Likes

Actually I do, because, well, I’m not an idiot. The consumer has an obligation to read all warnings and instructions. Just because the idiocracy is rampant and people don’t do that, doesn’t excuse anyone. READ THE [Mod Edit] MANUAL.

MOD NOTE: Post edited to conform to the Community Guidelines.

2 Likes

Keep looking at the Wyze components for any problems, but also consider the outlet and electrical system. I just had 2 indoor outlets burn up without popping a circuit breaker and one 20 years ago. Your house sounds newer with GFCI outlets outdoors, but knowing the age and brand of circuit breaker will help. I have a house built in the 70s with aluminum wire. This winter, the two outlets that burned were not the ones with any load. They were just the weakest links, as outlets downstream in the breaker circuit had a heater in one case and an EV car charger in the other case. A flashlight charger was melted in the entry in the case where the main load was downstream in a bedroom with a space heater. My immediate thought was that the flashlight charge circuit was the source of the short, but though melted from the heat of the outlet, it works fine. 20 years ago it was the dedicated outlet under the sink for the dishwasher.
Aluminum wire connections at outlets are known to corrode with time creating resistance and are 50 times more likely to start fires.
Even with copper wire, certain breaker brands have gone out of business with lawsuits because the breaker magnets were too strong and wouldn’t always trip causing house fires.
I hope you find the smoking gun.

2 Likes

I’m coming in late to this incident and read most of the posts. As a former Fire Chief who investigated fires, I’d like to see some pictures of the camera as it was installed, in position with the shingles, etc. Unless connectors are deemed waterproof (where Wyze has developed them for this application) any “plugged into an extension cord, outside outlet, etc.” is a potential problem over time and exposure to the elements. GFIC outlets, breakers, etc. do fail to act as designed sometimes. Without seeing the “as found” pictures and knowing how things were connected, it’s hard to say what was at fault. I agree with comments about the “odds” of power adapters going bad, etc. when they’re mass produced. We would see brand new out of the box smoke detectors not function from time to time. Adding this for whatever it’s worth. . .

4 Likes

I am a retired FF / Investigator, and I agree. Too many unknowns here to start complaining that Wyze is making a defective product. In most of the fires I investigated during my career that centered around appliances and/or electricity, the owner was more often at fault than the appliance.

3 Likes

The USB adapters have caught fire before, do a search for “USB Fire” on this forum

1 Like

Oh wow. That’s THREE. Out of millions made. Which part of “don’t be so literal” didn’t you get? I get it, some catch fire. Did you know that if the connections at the outlet aren’t tight, it can cause something plugged into it to catch fire?
I’m not saying that these things don’t pose a hazard, but the usual Wyze haters are getting out the pitchforks and torches over a few of these. And to get back to the OP’s post, his issue was very likely of his own making by plugging an indoor only rated cube into an unprotected outdoor outlet.

What is that big water smear on the wood next to the adapter? :sweat_smile:

Water

1 Like

As many others have stated, Power adapter is not weather proof. So far mine are fine but the exterior receptacles have what are described by the sparkys as “in service covers” meaning there is a latchable cover over the whole thing. If you don’t have this you just replace the faceplate with the in service cover assembly.

Yes, in service covers are very important for anything plugged in outdoors. Also, with two prong plugs, it’s very easy for something to cross the prongs if it loosens from the receptacle.
Finally, as in one of the pictures posted showing a dark colored outlet - this is probably from an older house as in 1940’s/50’s/60’s and they may not have a safe ground, old circuit breakers (or worse fuses) and other things that would not be common with today’s improved electrical codes. This could result in fail safes not working as intended. And finally, let’s not forget it can be defective USB blocks and they should be looked at if there are frequent reports.

This looks like a faulty outlet to me- note the adapter has soot/burning where the ground hole was on the outlet, like the inside of the outlet shorted out, and the prong of the adapter appears to be broken off inside the outlet, like it got extremely hot from an electrical arc on the prong (not inside the adapter)

I have a V3 powered in the same way. I’m quite concerned about it now after seeing your post. Thank you for sharing this information.

If it happens it just does we have over 88 and 8 sites, and have no issues at all, and if we do that’s why we have insurance for…