Please get rid of discover

Hi Gwendolyn,

Thank you for your reply. About my comment on Facebook, Twitter, etc. buttons: To be clear, I do NOT want any such buttons or links added into the Wyze app. I would NOT want the app to have direct linkages to any such social media sites or be able to log into the Wyze app using social media credentials. As you know, this is the current trend.

My reference to “selling my videos to the world” was a admittedly an exaggeration to make the point.

I perceive the Wyze camera as a useful security tool, not a web cam for socializing. If this boundary is crossed, the Wyze camera’s perceived image will be changed to a toy you buy for your kids.

Personally, I’m very impressed with Wyze and its cameras and look forward to new products, such as outdoor cameras and perhaps a dash cam. I hope Wyze will built on its current strategy.

Thanks.

2 Likes

Davidjaybush, stop apologizing. You are correct. If I wanted to see cute videos and clutter on my phone I’d go to YouTube or somewhere else.

2 Likes

@OverWatch, I hope you enjoy 2.1! :slight_smile:

@ultra1genius, you’re welcome for the reply. For those buttons, would it make it better if you had to login and set up the connection intentionally? For some people, this may help with accessibility. A login button is often the extent to which a company goes with that. It is possible that at some point we will want to make it easier for people to share their videos with loved ones. While you use this as a security tool, other people use them as pet cams, baby cams, project cameras, etc. Your point about security is important but we’re also hoping to make a product that satisfies many people’s wants and needs. We are working on an outdoor camera and I know that other products that people can use for security are being considered or investigated.

@davidjaybush, I appreciate your apology and how you are addressing this now. For a direction for us, if we were to make a “Wyze Picks” type category someday (this is just for feedback and we don’t have plans for it at this point) where our favorite videos are, would that make the Discover section something you’d be more likely to enjoy?

Yeah, it doesn’t bother me and think there eventually be some good use out of it. At the same time, it should be an option for those that do not want it. Not to mention maybe make it a little harder to “fat finger” as some have mentioned. I have not really had a problem on Android, but can see how someone could.

1 Like

@UserCustomerGwen. Nothing wrong with these cameras being used for monitoring babies, pets, projects or anything else. To me, all such uses are surveillance. How people use their cameras is not the issue. The issue is changing the app, over time, so that it becomes bloated with social media, shopping and messaging functions, rather than it be dedicated to surveillance camera functions. A good example of such diversion to the point of absurdity is the Skype app, which is practically unusable for its originally intended purpose. Anyway, all this discussion is premature. I appreciate very much that we users can carry out such dialog with the Wyze team.

5 Likes

It’s important to us to maintain a close connection with our community. I’ll make sure that your voice is heard. If in the future we do decide to take these steps, we can aim to make the experience better. Knowing your concerns in advance will be helpful and we appreciate you taking the time to discuss these issues with us. :slight_smile:

Oooh! I hope I win! I want to thank David and the community for this nomination… :smiley:

I love these ideas, David. If we end up stealing any of them, will you be offended? I definitely want to pitch these as things to consider for the future. :slight_smile:

Take a screenshot of this. 'Cause if I win, you should ABSOLUTELY remind me of this conversation. I’ll have to dye my hair a good color to go with the green. :wink:

I agree as well. Only the necessities for operating the camera should be on the main screen.

3 Likes

I agree with your thoughts. I submitted a suggestion about this very issue a long time ago to no avail. Should be a quick and easy upgrade.

I think everyone has made valid points about the buttons. But clearly, there are more important issues for the team. Your suggestion for one, plus the difficulty of locating a specific video playback point when reviewing a segment on AWS.

2 Likes

I just think it’s funny… I get the impression the folks at Wyze are more concerned about whether a couple useless buttons are found annoying than the complete lack of web interface for the cameras is found annoying! As per @OverWatch, it’s disappointing that resources are being used on this future-proofing instead of addressing some of the most highly desired features. I understand Wyze has limited resources, but that’s even more reason to expend those resources (egad!) wisely. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Moving the buttons to the top should alleviate the problem of hitting accidentally. Below shortcuts and above the top camera.
I don’t use either button, Shop is useless outside the U.S., but haven’t had a problem with them.
As mentioned by another user, with old eyes, the GUI is really not designed for anyone over 45. The tiny fonts and poor contrast make it annoying at best. I only use it when i have to.
I use TinyCam for viewing and as a server.

Something I would like to see is the ability to turn sound detection on/off by shortcuts. We have motion but not sound.

1 Like

You can vote for adding more shortcut actions at the topic below. You must click the VOTE button, top left, for your vote to count:

1 Like

Please add twitter sharing.

Sorry ZodiacSam, I don’t do Twitter, nor Facebook, nor Instagram … You get the idea. Hence my aversion to the Wyze App turning into a social media tool.

Don’t take it away from the rest of us.

@ZodiacSam, depending on your phone’s OS, you can enable sharing to twitter from the share menu. For example, on iPhone, tap the share menu on a motion clip. Scroll over to the right and tap “More”. There you will see an option to add twitter to the share menu.

1 Like

No, just no.

I agree entirely.

I bought this product, at a very good price, to perform a camera monitoring system.

May I suggest these non-monitoring items be put on the account homepage of the camera application? This way when people go to their account they can see social things, shop for more product, go to this forum and other good ideas.

Please focus on continuing to improve the actual physical camera, user interface, delightful features and functions. Thank you Tim,.,

1 Like

I see the cameras as their flagship products and unfortunately, we can’t get a public-facing bug/issue list. Flagship products should have very few, if any issues. I wrote that post shortly after giving the V2’s as small Christmas gifts and then being blindsided with v2 of the software, so I was less than happy. One of the gifts had to be exchanged and I’m not exactly enthusiastic about checking on their progress, one is still in the box and the other has turned off notifications and only plans to check it if something goes missing. These are busy people and they just don’t have time to screw around with issues, or watch other people’s videos. Adding Discover to the main page instead of delivering a solid flagship product? I just wish it was getting better.

1 Like