Please get rid of discover

I think I have the smallest iOS device sold, so precision finger placement helps. Relative to screen real-estate, all fingers are fat… :anguished:

As for videos, You can watch SuperMouse at MyAccount=>Help & Feedback=>forum=>Captured On Wyze. You can watch Gwendolyn’s educational videos under MyAccount=>Help & Feedback=>Learn & Explore.

I don’t really have a use for the botton, but it’s never bothered me and over many different android devices I’ve never accidently hit it. the Discover feature as it is today isn’t of much interest to me. what would be a lot more useful (and I agree is off topic as this is now a suggestion on how the discover feature could be improved) would be if like on competing platforms it sorted videos by those closest to you. or videos could be tagged to a neighbourhood people create and you can join or follow specific neighbourhoods. then should there be crime in a sepcific area, users can choose to share footage with others close by that may be interested or could help locate the offender.

3 Likes

Shop should definitely be under My Account. What is interesting is under My Account you can find links to purchase at Amazon, Micro Center and Target, but not Wyze.

1 Like

LOL! This whole post confuses me… I have no problem with the Discover tab. I agree, it’s currently not very useful, and I probably won’t use it, but why get rid of it? I love @K6CCC’s comment

What you are saying is equivalent to me saying “well, I never use the AutoSum function in Excel, so therefore it should be removed”.

PS - I like the “Shop” button where it is. I’ve actually used it!

4 Likes

I’m going to have to agree to discover and shop buttons on the app are useless, I don’t think they would ever get used. For a pre existing customers the app is used for the cameras specifically. It would be nice to see new functions or a different layout in the future. The space could be used more efficiently.

The discoverer and shop are best left for the website.

3 Likes

Neither does Discover and Shop. My analogy was based on it being a function that you don’t use, not the amount of real estate it takes (which you had not mentioned at the time - you did later). I personally don’t have a use for shop or discover either, but the buttons don’t bother me. I have never hit one accidentally - on a @#$%&* iPhone 6S.

1 Like

This is 100% on point!!! I have an s8+ and hit the wrong button all the time on that bottom menu because it is simply too cramped. There is no need for a social media aspect in this section or shopping. I want to utilize my cameras! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Why not let users have a profile which shows which buttons are features they want to use?

2 Likes

I’m reporting all of these feedback to the team. Part of why the Shop and Discover sections were added were for future-proofing. We’re intending to make an ecosystem of products. These areas are going to be more useful/interesting when we have different products to offer later.

Cards on the table, the process for adding content to Discover currently is pretty manual and does take time. We’re working on improving that and figuring out the best work pattern to regularly refresh content. We’re also working on ways to improve the feature in general. We’re appreciating all of the input that you’re giving us and we’ll continue going through it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think Ring might have an issue with that as it is similar to their “Neighborhoods” function. I could see them going after Wyze for the hell of it, using all that Amazon cash that’s been flowing in. LOL

I don’t really care one way or the other myself and a button I don’t use isn’t affecting me. But it seems to me a perfectly easy solution would be to make the Discover button display an option that you can turn on or off.

2 Likes

Doesn’t bother me either, but I doubt that you’re going to see that kind of extensibility built into the Wyze app anytime soon. I mean, where would it end? Personally, I have trouble reading text labels in the new app without grabbing for my reading glasses - i.e. small font and a lack of contrast (white on cyan and light gray on white). This is esp. troublesome for those with “old eyes” (or recent cataract surgery), but …, I doubt I’ll be given the ability to define my own color theme in the near future. So I guess what I’m saying is, don’t hold your breath. :wink:

2 Likes

I find “Discover” to be an interesting insight into how others use their Wyze Cam. Keep it please. I haven’t visited “Shop” but when I decide to buy another Cam, I will welcome not having to jump to a browser and drill down through the Wyzecam.com website. May I suggest adding another icon link for “Forums”?

1 Like

In case you missed it, people don’t really care about the content in Discover. First and foremost, they want the cameras to work, they want their “events” to actually be in the playback, they want their notices to match up to their playback, they want the green bars to represent saved video, they want to easily move around in the app without having to wade through several different layers, they want RTSP, they want to view multiple cameras at the same time, they want to be able to download files off the camera instead of climbing ladders, they have a long list of wants and Discover wasn’t on any of them! Now, you’re telling us you’re working to make Discover better? Can we get a list of known bugs that are being worked on?

Edit: I appreciate the positive attitude, really. But I didn’t buy these cameras so I could watch Bambi eat other people’s flowers. I bought them so I could monitor my property. I gave them as gifts so others could monitor their property. There is just too much these cameras are suppose to be doing that they aren’t doing to think resources are working on Discover.

2 Likes

@rpitera, I like to think that Ring would spend that money differently… I do like the idea of making Discover something you can choose to hide if you want. :slight_smile:

@milehiguy, I know you can change the icon size on many phones and that this may help with the text issue that you’re mentioning. We’re sorry that it’s been challenging. I’ll bring this up to the team as an accessibility issue. :slight_smile:

@dale40203, we’re looking into ways to link the app and the forum! Not sure when we’ll be able to make that happen but the idea is on our radar. Thanks for the suggestion!

@OverWatch, your points are valid and I appreciate them. I’m happy to report that at least several of the features that you mentioned are actually in process and that we’ve been having discussion about the others. We’re also working on a public-facing known bug list that the tech side can keep updated for people though I’m not sure when that will be ready yet. I’m not a programmer so my ability to respond here is admittedly limited but I can promise that your voice is being heard and that this thread is making rounds internally.

3 Likes

I agree wholeheartedly with @JoePadlock as I am also an Android user and with the menu buttons for home, back & recent for Android when I go to exit the app, trying to hit the home menu button selects the discover tab of the app menu every time. This is a bit frustrating when you are just trying to exit/close the app and it takes you to the discover section of the app instead. Please remove it or place it somewhere else. Thanks!

Several of the “features” I mentioned should be on the known bug list and the others are Roadmap items that other users have added. I intentionally did not include the Roadmap items I added. Personally, I think removing Discover is just going to consume more resources that should be fixing things. Other than that to me, it’s a ‘votes don’t matter’ reminder.

I can agree with this… A social media communications implementation is really out of place. Today every app that comes out has some kind of social media component, even if it is awkward. I wouldn’t ever use the function, and it should be allowed to be disabled in the settings… but it isnt really an issue per se. To the ones that are seriously bothered by the social media component, you can always use a different camera app that supports the Wyze cameras like Tinycam.

Another vote for removing the Discover and Shop buttons. I’ll never use them and it smacks of intrusive and useless social media. I hope Wyze is keeping stats on how many taps these buttons get. We all know where to buy cameras or any other product that Wyze may make in the future. Wyze has already demonstrated that it’s a good company, making great products. Don’t mess this up. One last thing: Please think twice before adding buttons for facebook, twitter, google and any other social trash. If that happens I’m dumping my cameras because the clear implication will be that my video images are being sold to the world.

1 Like

OverWatch, I understand that we have lost your trust here and I hope we will be able to earn it back in the future. I will continue to show your feedback to the team.

@wize143 and @ultra1genius, thanks for your feedback!

@ultra1genius, could you please give more detail about adding buttons for Facebook, Twitter, etc.? I know that you can already share to those platforms through the Share function but I don’t understand the implication that your videos would be sold to the world by adding in a button. I would like to have more detail before discussing this with the team.

I’m actually anxiously waiting for the next release (firmware and software) and, I have high hopes it will clear up many issues.

2 Likes