Please find a way to deal with insects in IR Mode

It is on the support site in the FAQs, and the specs page of the main site for the cameras’ descriptions. At this time, none of Wyze’s products are rated for outdoor use. But as others have stated, they are developing an outdoor camera

Can Wyze Cams Be Used Outdoors

(From the specs page)
Weather Resistance
Indoor use only

4 Likes

you can actually turn off the ir leds so you could still have night vision on and not worry about the ir reflection, for instance if you have a motion activated porch light, and the camera viewing that through a window, you would then capture whoever it is. same goes for keeping it in a window and using an IR illuminator place outside lighting up the area you want. or as a third (NON SACTIONED OPTION) you could use one of the newer Wyze sense motion detectors that use PIR outside to trigger a camera that is placed inside looking outside.

6 Likes

Because a lot of people want to be able to see things in the dark INSIDE.

11 Likes

Tried it a week again and the darn things are still flyin right past my cams half the time still to get to the new one six feet away!

Totally agree. As a former programmer I don’t see why it would be so difficult to add a flag for delay time and some check code before triggering the event recording.
I will avoid the discussion about not being for outdoor use.

2 Likes

[Mod Edit]
The cameras aren’t intended for outdoor use but many are using them in that way. This community is full of people that enjoy tinkering and diy type projects and the cameras are great for that. I’m sure Wyze would happily sell you an outdoor camera when they come available and you can repurpose the other you have to cover an interior space.

MOD NOTE: Post edited to conform to the Community Guidelines.

3 Likes

I’d say this is the best option and cheapest route.

5 Likes

I had the same issue with insects and I changed the sensitivity and have gotten rid of most of the short recordings at night.

Trees blowing in the wind still record thought.

I only turn lights on in rooms I’m in. The rest of my home is dark. The WYZE cams illuminate them perfect in total darkness.

2 Likes

I have alerts from my garage during the night time from time to time. I believe it was some sort of flying insects, although I could find any of them.

SDQ, Infrared is more effective indoor than outdoor. Somehow you are fixated on “infrared is for outdoor”; have you used a baby monitor before?:peace_symbol:

@SDQ, It was obvious to me that it is an indoor camera from day one.

According to both Wyze and my own trial the motion sensor will not work thru glass. Hard to place inside looking out.

That’s why Bam recommended the PIR sensor be put outside as a non-sanctioned option. He said that would be for a inside-looking-outside camera, maybe that is where the confusion is coming from.

1 Like

Thanks. I caught my own goof after I posted but hadn’t gone back to edit.

1 Like

How does one turn off the IRs but keep night vision on? I was under the impression there was only one way to turn off the IRs and that was simply turning off night vision.

Please see this support article in the Wyze Cam User’s Guide for turning off the IR LEDs. (The support section has a lot of searchable content)

Night Vision

2 Likes

Mine isn’t outside. It’s in my garage. And, it’s the same problem of repetitive recordings of insects flying by in the dark garage.

1 Like

You may be a fortunate one in that what you expect to see motion-wise is close, and probably big. You can drop your sensitivity down to 1. That eliminated dust particles on my living room cam, but still saw me walking by.

The cameras are sold for indoor use. If the inside of your home is dark then the IR LEDs work great. People should really read before they buy items. With this said, my cams are outside and I have turned the IR off and just rely on lighting from over my garage and front door which works great. If however my cams quit working from being outside I would understand that they were not intended for outside use from the start. Unfortunately this is how a good product can get a bad review, lack of research by the user.

4 Likes