Please clarify 'Running in the background' Toggle

Hi, I was wondering… regarding the ‘Running in the background’ toggle on/off option, which is accessed via the Home screen>Account>App Settings. To my understanding, the Wyze app already runs in the background without turning this option ON. The notifications are received within the Notification of the device running the app (cellphone/tablet), so I’m not sure what exactly this option would be used for.

Your insight would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

There are some who had notification issues with Android Devices. This option ensures that the App is running in the background so that notifications can come through. The Notification delays and issues on Android Devices seems to have been resolved and therefore the Run in Background toggle does not really need to be set.

I was one of those who experienced delayed notifications and toggled it on in the past. It is now off and notifying without issue

6 Likes

Thank you so much for your informative reply. Apparently, the APP default is toggled OFF, I’ve never had to touch it - in fact, I didn’t even know it existed, yet still, I was receiving all the notifications perfectly. It wasn’t until I subscribed to CAM Plus this morning since then I no longer am receiving any notifications at all. The Cam Plus service has been already assigned to this cam. I’m not sure why this happened. Would you know if this is a coincidence or a system glitch - any idea what to try - why should it even happen. What’s even worse, it’s draining the WCO battery like crazy since subscribing to Cam Plus.

1 Like

Can you provide the following:

• Firmware version of your WCO
  • Firmware version of your Base Station
  • Then Provide Screen Shots of the following: Detection Settings, Event Recordings, and Notifications menu options.

Quick question as well, how do you have the WCO mounted? did you mount it upside down and select the 180 toggle? If so, that could be the issue.

1 Like

Can you provide the following:

• Firmware version of your WCO = 4.17.4.124
  • Firmware version of your Base Station = 4.16.3.17
  • Then Provide Screen Shots of the following: Detection Settings, Event Recordings, and Notifications menu options.

Quick question as well, how do you have the WCO mounted? did you mount it upside down and select the 180 toggles? If so, that could be the issue. = No, it isn’t toggled to 180. I didn’t move or touch the cam since before sub to Cam Plus and afterward.

*** Now, even after selecting it back to Unassigned (without assigning it to CP, I no longer receive push notifications as I did before subscribing to CM.

While the Running in the Background Toggle is no longer necessary for the receipt of notifications, I still use it and leave it on.

The one feature it provides in Android is a persistent notification and icon in the Notification tray just to tell you it is there:

3 Likes

So a couple of things here, I beta test Firmware and have updated my WCO v2 to the beta FW which is a higher version than what you have. May be something which has been adjusted. You could always see about signing up to be a beta tester and load the FW for the WCO v2.

Otherwise, you coudl try a couple of things:

• Clear your Cache in the app by going to Account, App Settings, Clear Cache. The logout of your device and reboot it. (Make sure you know your pwd and 2FA if you use it)
  • Log back in and see if you notice any changes.

Also, add it back to Cam Plus if you can to be sure you can get notifications. Here are pictures of my settings:

Screenshot_20220612-192318

The Blue area on the first picture is the trigger area. This is the section that wakes up the camera. Make sure your shaded area is where you want to trigger your events.

1 Like

Ok, I’ll do that. Although I’ve never gone there and discovered this option (Running in the background), however when I did, it was already Off, I’d imagine that’s its default setting. I still cannot correlate why when I originally had only Cam Lite, push notification was working perfectly until I subscribed to Cam Plus, assigning it to the same WCO, my device seized to receive any Wyze notification. I did clear cache, uninstalled the app, rebooted the Android device, reinstalled the app, and made sure OS notification permission was granted… everything seems fine, yet now even when I unassign it from Cam Plus, I’m no longer receiving any push notification from Wyze app. BTW, although I’m not a big fan of beta tester suggestion, I may have to consider it - thank you,!

Update - I did the following:

• Cleared the Cache in the app by going to Account, App Settings, Cleared Cache. Logged out of my device and reboot it
  • Added it back to Cam Plus
  • Logged back in - sadly… absolutely no changes

@R.Good @carverofchoice , either of you have any other suggestions? I get notifications on my WCO v2

@eliesk , do you have Detection Zones on, if so can you post a pic of what it is?

There are some reports within the forum of notifications malfunctioning under CP but not CPL.

1 Like

[spamoni4] No, I don’t have it turned - in fact I’ve never needed it - never used it.

BTW: Off-topic… How can I have your user name as a hyperlink as you did with mine? I try a few ways, then I had to actually type in your username.

It really angers me… notifications were perfectly working fine up until I assigned the CPro (one-year subs X2) to the WCO, and now even when I unassigned it, the notification no longer works.

1 Like

Type @ first and you will see a pop up window @eliesk

3 Likes

@Antonius Thank you!

1 Like

When you respond to a post, you do the @ symbol followed by the name. When you start with the @ the name list will appear and as you type, then simply select the name.

2 Likes

@spamoni Thank you for your help!

2 Likes

Yeah, you are not alone. It was reported as a problem on the latest Fix-it Friday list, so there are others who are having notification issues in CP.

Perhaps replying over there to Jason’s update post answering his questions will help.

One question for clarification tho,

CamPlus? Or CamPlus Pro?

Sorry, my WCO v1 hasn’t been extremely reliable for me in a while (I think partially because of where I have it deployed, but am not sure), and I don’t have a v2, so I don’t think my experience with WCO’s is a reliable one at this point for helping with WCO issues as I haven’t taken the time to seriously troubleshoot or test mine out yet.