Please add a feature to disable livestream audio / microphone

I did find a simple work around for my Echo Show. I just say “Alexa mute the audio” after I ask to see the camera. When it returns to the home screen the audio goes back to the previous level. You could also create a routine that would automatically mute the audio when you ask to see a specific camera.

I’ve been using my Wyze cams for months and only found out that audio was always on when I enabled the Alexa skill and viewed my cam. Totally shocked that all the audio disable settings do nothing but mute what the user hears. Hopefully Wyze will add a toggle in.

Also surprised that so many users don’t seem to care about this.

3 Likes

I am late to the party but same concern. I’d buy 6 more of these things but the audio being impossible to shut off means no one wants this thing in their bedroom window, even though it’s pointed outside. Such a silly feature!

3 Likes

Using these things inside and pointing them out the windows to monitor all sides of house. No one wants a camera in their bedroom window, when everyone in the family can listen live to whatever is happening! Creepy!

3 Likes

I agree this is very creepy. I also have Amazon Cloud Cam and Arlo Pro - both have the ability to let the users mute the microphone without physically removing them. Other users who have access to view the camera via Alexa/Echo Show or live View would not hear conversation inside the house.

3 Likes

As an admin of the camera I would like the ability to disable the camera microphone.
This would disable the audio feed from the camera to any other viewers and recordings.

6 Likes

yes. yes. yes. I’d buy 6 more if this were a feature. Disappointing that so many have given this feedback yet it still isn’t being addressed.

1 Like

I have a new Alexa Show and finally got the V2 cameras working with it (had to disable end re-enable the skill) and now I’d like to be able to turn off the sound from the feeds. I have one camera set up close enough to where I am that it picks up the sound from everything I do and is quite distracting. I have the sound turned off in the app (iOS) but it’s still coming through the Show. Any help here?

2 Likes

I have the same issue
Sound is turned off in the wyse app for the camera

3 Likes

I’m not an Alexa user, but I’m curious if you have “Record Sound” disabled in the cameras’ advanced settings.

It’s off - problem persists. And now I’m having to disable the Skill every few days and re-enable to get the cams to show on Alexa.

2 Likes

Experiencing the same issues. App works great on iOS devices, not so much on echo show. Sometimes need to disable/reenable skill, lots of buffering, and it picks up sounds even though I turned off all sound recording in my iOS app, This is very disconcerting because either the show is turning on sound or the camera is recording sound even when I think it’s not. If that is the case it is going to be tossed in the trash.

@btsculptor, I have merged your topic with this relevant #wishlist request. You can vote for it at top-left. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just wanted to add that to be able to keep using the guard feature It would be good to have the option. If you disabled microphone. In settings (for streaming) that It would be enabled when in the guard mode.( by default)

For those who dont want to wait for a fix or like me find this situation unacceptabe, others have posted instructions for opening the cam and tearing out the mic. I decided to try a different approach. I took a drill and very small bit and drilled into the mic hole just beneath the lens. I kept the cam connected and monitored the sound on my phone in live stream mode as i carefully drilled into the mic. I would say “testing testing.” Note there is a short delay between saying something into the cam and hearing it on the phone. So there is def a risk of wrecking the cam going this way but for me i was going to toss the cam if i couldnt kill the mic. Also didnt want to hassle with taking the cam apart. This was quick.

Thanks for the idea! I may do this. I continue to be amazed something with legal ramifications hasn’t been addressed yet, but I’ve given up waiting so appreciate any ideas.

1 Like

You’re welcome. What concerned me was the fact wyze does not seem inclined to address this. Why not? Ive become somewhat paranoid about what companies might do with eavesdropping they are capable of monitoring. Companies are usually just trying to monetize it somehow but who knows.
Not worried about this next thing in my case but I can imagine situations where law enforcement might try to get a supoena sp? and listen in on a household without the residents having s clue. It’s coming folks. This is also a concern/issue for smart TVs that can listen in on your conversations.

1 Like

It’d be nice to have a camera without sound to avoid unwelcome listeners.

3 Likes

I’ve been searching, but have not seen a fix for disabling audio for shared users. I’m unclear where this is as far as Implemenation. Just don’t want to share cameras in my house (pointing out windows with shared users that can turn ON the audio. Would someone please give me an update on when this might get done? Please?

3 Likes

THIS is what Im looking for. I like sharing camera with my neighbor from above but don’t want them listening to our conv all day.

Just give me the option to not Share Audio

3 Likes