Person Detection Update: A New Experiment for Premium Features

As Customer said, the detection zone is 100% local on the camera to determine when something is a qualified “event” from motion there; and PD AI processing is done 100% in the cloud on the ENTIRE video (it doesn’t know about detection zones).

It means you had some motion inside your detection zone (maybe a leaf blowing, or plant moving, or a light), so it uploaded an event to the cloud to analyze, and the AI detected a person somewhere on the video.

I have other companies’ cameras and most work quite similarly (any motion in the zone triggers analysis of the entire picture), so this is fairly normal.

If you want the AI to ignore certain areas too, you can try to physically block them from being recorded such as putting something partially over the lens on that side, or put up cardboard on the side, similar to the blinders they use for horses to block their view. Or rearrange your cam to not cover those areas you don’t want in view.

I have otherwise found that the detection zone works quite well

1 Like

I pointed this out back in September when Wyze discovered they were spending money on Person Detection and wanted us to pay for it.
The zones do work as far as eliminating motion detection. I had to block out a driveway marker. A small pole we put up to let snow removal people know where the edge of the driveway is.

Why does the company release firmware/software with so many obvious bugs?? Is QA fictional at Wyze?? It sort of appears that the customer base is being used as a test bin which inturn makes Wyze ‘Reactive vice Proactive’ as they address problems they deem worthy of their time… Just wondering what thinking process is involved.

1 Like

I’m sorry, I’ve fallen very behind and am trying to catch up around here.

The lock is supposed to be for folks that don’t have Cam Plus or the legacy Person Detection to show that there’s an optional feature that they don’t have. I’ve seen some reports of it being applied when it shouldn’t be and have been sending those to the team.

Yes!

I just happened to check my Echo Show settings and the person detection 'feature " is no longer available or an option for mt Cam pan but still available for my other 2 working camera. These were all bought way back upon release (cam pan) but i had to reconnect the cam pan after a problem and now its showing i don’t have person detection. This is a giant mess. :joy::rofl::sleepy:

Edited to fix errors because Wyze can’t even get fourm replying working properly.

The forum software works great. Wyze didn’t write it. :blush:

4 Likes

I have the same issue no detection on My driveway but records cars going by at 300+ feet away on the road. Yet it wont even record one on My driveway unreal

2 Likes

Hahah :rofl::joy: Sorry for the late reply… As much as you’re joking about it ,its kind of the truth.
It just can’t be my cam thats missing Person detection after being reset?! Why us it only happening to my Cam Pan? I tried to speak to the "Wizard’s " but they were of no use what so ever and just made me want to leave Wyze altogether. Never even heard back from them.aftrt expressing my dissatisfaction and desire to leave the Wyze family. No retention value at all. :laughing: I want PD back on my Cam Pan but help just isn’t available. For this issue so I’ll do as usual and move on…

Speaking of moving on,I purchased 6 Eufy cameras and so far its been okay. The grass is greener but still.some.dead patches on the Eufy yard/grass so its not a perfect switch. Hopefully Eufy will make.the right changes and things might get greener.

Sorry for errors but typing on phone on this forum is a nightmare.

I was only 1/2 joking. If Wyze designed the forum it wouldn’t have dark mode or work in a PC browser. :slightly_smiling_face:

5/8 of my cameras don’t hace Alexa PD options. It used to be 4/8 but for some reason another one stopped working.
Wyze and Amazon blame each other. That’s the easy cop out in tech. Very difficult to disprove.

1 Like

Yeah, I have 3 Eufy cams as redundancies against my critical Wyze Cams (front and back). They have their issues for sure. Drives me crazy sometimes. The front cam worked fine for several weeks, then suddenly it frequently refuses to give me access to view any event videos in the playback timeline, and sometimes not even in the events tab. It will show me all video with no events (the stuff I don’t care about), but not allow me to view anything with a human or pet or motion of any kind, it will just black out that whole section and make it totally unplayable. So, basically it gives me a notification and thumbnail of an event, and then make it impossible to view the event. Then I can’t just pull it off the SD card because it is encrypted and can only be accessed through the network through the cam. Really frickin’ annoying. I’ve tried resetting the cam, using different cards, formatting, everything. At best I only fix the issue for a couple of days before the same thing happens again. Yeah, eufy has their share of major issues too. The grass ain’t greener…but between the two running together I don’t miss getting notified of things I really want to know about. When one fails, the other usually catches it and vice-versa.

3 Likes

Do they have an option (PC software) to decrypt the cards (or simply disable the encryption in the first place)? That would drive me crazy.

1 Like

I don’t believe so. When I first got them it was not possible. They tout it as improved security, nobody can access your footage without your login info. Makes sense. It is frustrating they’re pulling a Wyze and taking away our choices though. I don’t mind things being OPTIONS, but please stop making my decisions for me like you know what’s best for me (Wyze said they took away the ability to change the frequency of monitoring heart-rate or doing passive oximeter because they wanted to force us to have long battery life instead of letting us choose our own balance of battery vs usability)…still, I think those decisions have mostly paid out for both companies as they get a lot of reviews touting how awesome they are for the outcome (“9 days of battery life is AMAZING!” reviews are saying, and “Eufy is the most secure!” they are saying)…ah well, manipulate reviews for more sales I guess.

1 Like

Tied to you login credentials would be one thing, only marginally bad, but I’m assuming it’s actually tied to the hardware ID of a specific working camera, which is terrible.

Edit: I also thought a “cooldown” period for a watch function was a bit nuts. It’s not costing them cloud server resources, just limiting a single user’s battery life.

1 Like

You’re probably right that it is just tied to the hardware. I wonder, if someone stole the cam, reset it to factor settings, reinstalled it under a new account, would they have access to the videos? IDK Never tried. Wouldn’t be too hard to add the account (username?) in as part of the encryption algorithm, but I’m sure you’re right.

Yeah, the 5 minute cooldown thing was what finally convinced me the watch was an absolute no-go. I use a mi-band and can change the frequency to better track my sleep and when is the best time to wake me up feeling refreshed instead of tired. If the watch only checks once every 5 minutes, that is terrible tracking for sleep purposes and other things. For example, We had a 5.7 earthquake hit here while I was asleep earlier this year and it was interesting to see my heart-rate changes from the exact moment it happened (over 100bpm) until I calmed down back to normal rates. My heartrate jumped to over a hundred and back down to normal rates all within a couple minutes. with a 5 minute cooldown Wyze would not have even noticed that I woke up let alone that I had a MAJOR heart rate change. That convinced me it is worthless for sleep tracking and heart rate tracking if it forces me to miss having logged important events like that. I’ll just keep my more flexible and higher feature 2 year old $20 fitness band that lets me do tons more of the things I want with it.

Anyway, back on the subject of person detection, I put cam plus on some of the cams that Alexa wouldn’t recognize Person triggers for, and it has made no difference. Those cams still won’t be recognized by Alexa as having person detection even though they have the same firmware as other V2’s that it is recognized on. So it’s not related to this pay what you want PD. I just don’t get it. I’m going to have to switch them places with one of my other cams because I need PD announcements on my outside cams.

No, you’re right, it’s probably both.

Wasn’t there a temporary workaround for the Alexa PD issue, renaming the cameras and whatnot?

1 Like

I haven’t heard of anyone confirming that fixing it. I know I posted a bunch of things I’d recommend to other people to try and see if it worked to fix it for them, but hadn’t read any responses from people if they got it to work, but you are much more up to date and familiar with all such things, always remembering and posting references to things others have posted about. You really are an awesome resource in these forums! If you think you heard of that being a possible solution, I will have to try it.

1 Like

Here’s the link to a summary I posted

https://forums.wyze.com/t/alexa-person-detection-announcements-stopped-working-2/143260/6?u=alanizat

Cheers,

Alan Izat

| carverofchoice
December 2 |

• | - |

Customer:

Wasn’t there a temporary workaround for the Alexa PD issue, renaming the cameras and whatnot?

I haven’t heard of anyone confirming that fixing it. I know I posted a bunch of things I’d recommend to other people to try and see if it worked to fix it for them, but hadn’t read any responses from people if they got it to work, but you are much more up to date and familiar with all such things, always remembering and posting references to things others have posted about. You really are an awesome resource in these forums! If you think you heard of that being a possible solution, I will have to try it.

Moderator Note: Personal information has been manually removed from this post. Such information often gets included inadvertently in an email signature block when replying by email. The forum software attempts to automatically remove email signatures but it is not always successful. When replying to the forum by email, it is best to remove the signature block yourself before sending.

1 Like

The days of responsible marketing are long gone. Integrity of product reliability has gone the way of the Yeti. Welcome to the world of monetary gain at any cost.

1 Like

Not digging this type of new world… (lol)…

Once you lose that integrity… got nothing really left other than an inexpensive plastic disposable toy…