Person Detection Update: A New Experiment for Premium Features

Who said the analysis was done or charged at the same rate as the video?

Initially calculations were being based on increments of events being evaluated, I wanted to make sure the data sheet I pulled off Amazon hadn’t caused that impression, clarifying for general consumption, not correcting anyone.

Is Face Search actually what is being done with Wyze clips?
I thought Face Search was looking for saved Faces from the stored metadata.

Honestly, I can’t remember the context of the OP or subsequent questions.
To answer Your question, I honestly do not know what all specifically Wyze is hunting.
They made very assertive denial of ever selling images of users that they process. They went in to state that something approximating, “we will never sell your images like Facebook and (I think, sorry, I’m really tired today), that either Amazon or Google does it too.
I can attest that their has been plenty of anecdotal cases of various random users claiming that all sorts of evil, Qanon type bs is happening, but y’know, Q…

Having said that, you or I really do not need more than three fairly close angles and I could have us dancing with Trump and Biden, in-sync, and certainly in better timing than IceT ever could. ( that’ll either crack you up or you just realized I’m really old).

It is a brave new world. Andrew Yang has put out some excellent position papers on this subject and others in the same vain.

There has been verified testing done and reported in the last month or so, where neuroscientists and psychiatrist working on projects at DARPA can now induce savant behavior in any regular Joe/Jane Doe out there (meaning, the subjects were not out of the normal IQ range of an average individual, and the subjects were able to perform AI / Savant level analysis of grainy images to a point of accuracy where they were able to say, remember every grainy face in a standium surveillance shot and then recount the exact behavior, position, who was seated next to who, for literally a wide angle shot containing upwards of 1000’s of subjects.

Basically, they could perform a memory palace with no training, experience, or prior ability to do anything more than anybody else.

They started with subject scans of real savants (like Marilyn Henner who is able to recall every second of her life, down to the minute) performed highly detailed scans, compiled the meta data and started the training of their models. Then the neuroscience and biochemists stepped up and based on the process analysis output, stimulates the brains of regular folks, and resulted in replicant abilities.

This is a brilliant time to be alive.

Elon is not stretching anyones imagination when he discusses his brain interface, and DARPA is working in the same arena!

Correct, I used that number because it was the only one I noticed that said “Live” and was definitely detecting people. The other ones were for “stored video analysis” and were about $0.10/min, including things like “Face detection” And “person pathing” and such…they also had “Face Search” in this category for just $0.10/min the same cost as all the others, but if you up that to be “LIVE” analysis instead of stored video analysis, it went up to $0.12/min. It stands to reason if stored analysis for this is the same cost as all the others, then live analysis for all the others would also be the same cost ($0.02/min more), so even though “Face detection” isn’t the exact thing that is being done, any reasonable conclusion would say it would be the same cost for all the others in the same situation too. It was just the easiest thing to base it on given the options that were actually posted.

Still, Wyze isn’t using Amazon’s AI, they are using their own, so these figures aren’t exactly relevant anyway. It was just a nice comparison to be able to show that wholesale cost of the service through Amazon (not what the end consumer actually pays, but what the middleman company pays to Amazon at a discounted rate) compared to what Wyze is charging us for similar services is actually an incredibly good rate. It’s hard to run the numbers on the AI services and conclude Wyze is ripping people off or trying to price gouge or all about tons of profits…what they offer is worth a lot more by some analysis.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m fairly anti-subscription, but in making comparisons and reviewing data I can’t say Wyze isn’t being more than fair.

Do you know if Wyze is focused on Facial as well?
There are trained models that they need to at least examine, to start at this delayed date and wish to establish their own particular flavor is certainly their option, however, they could achieve their goal in a far faster timeframe by starting from a proven weighpoint. If they would reach out to any of the non-commercial groups out there, they would find that the wheel was already verified, and it’s round.

Use case example, I’m training a new variant based the SODALite.eu group, they’re sole focus is the acceleration of the training model.

I am running a Kubernetes RaspberryPi and Coral TPU and am building with the goal of determining the impact on the Rogue Valley and the salmon hatcheries yields. The last four years have seen a knock on effect of the fires to the Salmon Fly emergence, and the drop in returning spawning waves.

They do not have to start from scratch…

Yes, in the AMA they said they are definitely working on Facial recognition (also called gate analysis) as well. They brought it up a couple of different times in that discussion. I would assume they are leveraging another model. They have proven that they frequently borrow/adopt all sorts of open-source code for their projects, so I am sure they are doing that. It still takes time to work it all into the rest of their system and make their own tweaks, but they’ve demonstrated being pretty resourceful with open-source material for everything else.

So, when this feature was offered separately from CamPlus, it specified that it would only cover PD for V2’s and Cam Pans, not the WCO or future cams.

It has continued working for my WCO though. I have a WCO watching my backdoor and my cats’ kitty door. I get Person alerts all the time from the WCO.

Does that mean that this PD just might cover PD for the V3’s anyway? I mean, if it’s working for my WCO which wasn’t supposed to be covered, why not the V3’s too? Just hoping…any testers try it?

1 Like

good to know,

but i just cancelled all the preorders (v3+doorbell+headst) and decided to give eufy a try.

i figured that it is insane to pay over $200 bucks for PD subscription which i can buy several ufy cameras.

I like Eufy. I have 3 of their 2K Indoor cams with the free local PD, and other benefits. I double them up against some critical Wyze Cams (front porch, back door) just to make sure when one has issues, another is covering it. They also help to catch issues that happen during the Wyze cooldown limits.

I love a LOT of things about Eufy, they have their own issues that really frustrate me though. They store “events” separately from the rest of the timeline, and sometimes will only allow me to view one or the other, and leave all of the other one as not available to view at all in the timeline. It is really frustrating. Sometimes I have to reformat the SD card to get it to work normal again for a while. Sometimes they will suddenly stop showing the thumbnail with the notification no matter what setting I switch it around to…again sometimes fixed by reformatting. It has weird connection issues sometimes. I can’t stick the SD card in my computer to pull long periods of video because it is encrypted (good and bad). They don’t work with Alexa Routines (Wyze Cams will all announce through Alexa when there is a person on certain cams, or work in other cool routines, while Eufy can’t do anything)

There are just some weird inconsistent quirks. I still like them, and you can pretty regularly get their cams for $30 (shipping included), so they’re fairly close in price. Basically I use them as a good backup for when my Wyze cams have their own issues or limitations, and my Wyze cams cover the weird inconsistency from the Eufy cams. Overall they’re pretty good together (for my purposes).

1 Like

Yes, this bothers me about Eufy , I hope they make this work right in the near future, all the other cameras I have you can set things like that up to work in Alexa
can’t use them in routines either

1 Like

Zounds !!! And Galactic uproar… The sound of Wyze and Company slowly moving forward…sounds like some good things are in the pipe.

1 Like

I wish Wyze would just come out and say what the plan for PD going forward is going to be. I guess they need more time to see what is actually going to happen on their end. My guess is they will wait and see thru the end of the year because of the holiday shopping season.

It’s a wee bit like a roller coaster.

1. PD is cool and free and works well and it’s on camera!
  2. Oh rats, it’s gone. But we will write our own and it will be free! We promise!
  3. Ok it’s here but it’s cloud based. But it’s still free.
  4. Well it’s not free for everyone but it will be for some, maybe, if enough of you pay for it and hey it works, well sort of.
  5. Oh by the way we are still working on an on camera version. No idea when or if it will happen or if it will be free or cost.
  6. Meantime we have CamPlus! It’s cool. Oh but it does screw up your other options.
  7. And we are opting you into the trial even if you don’t want it.
  8. Isn’t this fun!
5 Likes
  1. And on some days, everything is a person!
1 Like

But seriously, the last few days have been over the top with false person alerts. I’ve turned off notifications, they’re useless at this point.

1 Like

Don’t forget about the Sun and Shade Association for a Brighter America… And their infamous counterpart… Shadows within America… LOL

2 Likes
  1. Oh! We just launched a new V3 camera, the camera had onboard PD from the factory because it’s built in to the new camera chipsets. But we disabled it because it would screw with our money making paid version.
2 Likes

Bruce, you Soooooo nailed it.

1 Like

Yes Sir, we’re all a bit green around the gills from the lurch from position to position.

In a big picture snapshot, do you feel that this forum is even considered representative of their actual total base?

Is this simply a tool that allows them to crowdsource their PR and support departments?

1 Like