Person Detection Update: A New Experiment for Premium Features

I hope Wyze fixes this in the near future

Person Detection doesn’t work right with detection zones.
I have a camera pointed at my driveway. I have a zone set to eliminate the street. Most of the Peson Detection events I get are people on the street, outside of my set detection zone.
WYZE could eliminate a lot of Person Detection processing money if they would fix this bug in the app. In my case I would estimate 50% of my PD events are ones I don’t want.

5 Likes

Yes I noticed this as well! At this point even greater control of the box doesn’t help. I think Wyze is working on this in a future update.

I have three quick comments:

1, It would be great to know Wyze’s baseline cost - even ballpark - of this feature per camera.
2. What will the pricing be for cloud storage for Wyze Cam Outdoors and can all cloud services for all Wyze products be combined into a single bill / statement / payment?
3. I would prefer an option to make a one time annual payment.

Thank you!

4 Likes

We have to pay for cloud storage for the Outdoor Cam??!?!?

I wish this was possible! I hope Wyze does bundling in the future! Maybe a discount when we bundle a lot of cameras with multiple services?

2 Likes

No idea, actually, But if you take today’s message and extrapolate it to the potential bandwidth of all the outdoor cameras that are likely to be installed, it’s a very real possibility in my estimation.

1 Like

Yes it does. I was just hopping that’s not a guarantee because I didn’t see that anywhere and certainly wouldn’t have bought Outdoor Cameras if Wyze has said we would have to pay for cloud storage. Hopefully this doesn’t happen…

It would have to be more than a storage device to do the processing rewuired for Person Detection.

1 Like

That’s true but I could be done and might be a nice way to keep everything local.

1 Like

Wyze I was wondering do you have any costs for CMC? Does $1.49 cover the costs? Also should you increase the price of CamPlus to accommodate the costs for Person Detection? Some thoughts.

Thanks!

Apple bought that technology instead of developing it. Don’t you think if Apple or WYZE had the capability of doing this they would have before this?

1 Like

I see your point. Maybe Wyze could get into contract with a different AI company to get it back on the camera firmware. Just trying to think of things to help Wyze :slight_smile:

The outdoor cameras don’t have Person Detection.

I’ve been wondering about that also.

First, is that a bug or a feature? :dizzy_face: Unlike your very valid street example, most of my detection zones are not that I don’t care what happens there, I’m just trying to stop a wiggling bush (or my newest joy, a friend’s huge waving flag) from generating endless false alerts. With the current rectangle limitation, I often block off half the screen just to get rid of some small but poorly placed immovable obstacle.

Second, so this means that even clips with action outside the detection zone are still being sent up to Wyze on my limited bandwidth to be analyzed?

So yup, we definitely agree that detection zones need fixing!

2 Likes

The challenge here for Wyze is amortizing that one time payment to cover an ongoing cost with an unknown ending date.

The problem for us is that it gives Wyze an unintended financial incentive for their devices to have shorter lifespans.

Also our upfront payment becomes a bet on our part that Wyze will still be in business “X” amount of time.

Hopefully their new money guru is good at actuarial tables, because I would also like to avoid ongoing fees!! :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Interesting, mine seems to work well. I have a camera pointed out my front window watching my porch and the entire front yard to clear across the street. I set the detection zone to skip detection of everything publicly used (road, public sidewalk, etc), and only detect the porch and walkway up to the porch. I’ve never had a false alarm in any public area (road, public sidewalk, etc), and person detection works amazingly except that it’s limited to once every 5 minutes, so to compensate for those few times, I put a motion sensor covering the porch, to inform me of all movement on the porch, even if the cam itself had already sensed movement in the last 5 minutes. Otherwise it’s awesome.

Sorry to hear you are having problems with it. Not sure what the issue is, but detection zones have always been working great for me throughout several different firmware versions. You’d think it would be consistently good or bad for everyone…

I am guessing that this will be the end result ultimate solution…to avoid legal issues, etc, Wyze will provide free person detection for V2 cams for everyone, at least up to the announcement date today. Then they will stop selling them and stop developing for that model and support will die down, allow it to be frustrating (like the RTSP is for lots of people), and only provide new features and development, etc for the new V3’s they are working on, and these will basically require subscriptions for everything. V2’s will fade out and the issue will become relatively moot. It’s what most big companies do to get people to buy the newer stuff all the time. I mean, look at Samsung, you spend over $1K on the best phone that gets 2 major upgrades (ie: maybe over 2 years time) and then the OS, etc is totally out of date and several apps don’t work anymore because they require a different OS, etc. so you have to buy a new phone to be able to use things again. Frustrating, but it is a solution for Wyze without breaking promises or legal liability…just kill off the V2’s over time and make everyone switch to V3 with subscriptions. That’s what the investors want anyway.

That’s what I see coming. Still, I hate subscriptions on principle for 99% of cases…it’s one of the main reasons I chose Wyze to begin with. It is the norm now though.

It certainly appears that way.
I wish WYZE had looked into these problems before telling the world they screwed up. It may have save a lot of bandwidth and processing power.

4 Likes

Oh I think we’ve reached that point.
WYZE decided to hire someone that understands money two years after starting a business. Not a comforting sign. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes