Person Detection (Pilot) - Wyze AI Events Notifications

I just got a Person Alert however when I look under my cameras that are subscribed to the Person Detection (Pilot) Wyze AI Events is not an option

I turned off Motion and I don’t use Sound

Did the application menu change - I used to have the option off selecting the type of Notification I wanted either 1) Motion 2) Wyze AI or 3) Sound?

Hi @jonesto949 - exactly the same for me. I am getting person alerts even though i have no option to turn on Wyze AI event notifications in the Android app. I presume it is because I still have this option on my iPad?
I wish Wyze would either fix this and in the meantime let us know what is going on.

so this seems to be an Android issue - gotcha

I just found the following;

https://wyzelabs.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360040475771-Wyze-Person-Detection-Setup-Guide

it looks like they may have changed the UI and no longer require you to select Wyze AI Events under the camera notification settings to enable person detection for legacy Person Detection (Pilot) users. If this is the case then my V2 is working properly and my Pan is NOT.

From the link;
“With this notification, you’ll only get notified if a person is detected - not just motion.”
That sentance does not make sense. At best it’s ambiguous.
only get notified if a person is detected sounds like the only notifications you’ll get are for a Person, not motion or sound.
Adding - not just motion sounds like you’ll get notifications for People and Motion.

Thanks. That appears to explain it. I wish they would not do these confusing changes of UI all the time.

They told me to check the motion box for event recording and it would pick up person detection only. This is a false statement, as testing the motion does as it always has, picking up pets and just about any form of motion. So, for me, they have removed the ability to have person detection specifically, rendering my cameras useless to me. Just a ploy to get people to buy Cam plus imho.
My “support tech” seems so aloof as we email back and forth, they act as if I’m the only one that has presented this issue, and that I’m being too critical over this.
I was promised person detection , and I will get it or every bit of these cameras, bridges, sensors, and accessories will go to the landfill.

1 Like

I have said the same thing - both my V2 and Pan Person Detection Pilot vanished - my V2 came back within a week my Pan still missing - my Person Detection goes missing almost every month now when they roll out a new firmware version -

Chat # 1029216 Ignored
Chat # 1040166 Ignored
Chat # 1048404 still no resolution

I suggested they provide me Cam Plus until they remedy the Person Detection Pilot - silence -

This is how they treat the “long standing” customers -

So I’m not one to go this route when I have an issue with one of their products. However, I was chatting with support for an hour over this issue and it was like they wouldn’t listen to a word that I saying. They would say this or that which had no bearing on my issue, and to check the motion box, that this would pick up person detection. But I couldn’t make them understand it would also pick up everything else. And that they had taken my person detection completely away. They acted as though they couldn’t grasp this concept. Finally they said they needed to transfer this chat to email, which was code for we need to dump this guy. Sure enough I was right. Have gotten one response since, and was simply a repeat from a one part of the chat. Wyze support is the worst I’ve ever dealt with, hands down. Im beginning to believe they are trying to force the legacies with the pilot person detection to upgrade to Cam plus. So to clarify, Support simply just ignores all of these issues that people post? If so, it sounds like it’s time we all look elsewhere for cost effective hardware with some decent support, which any support would be an improvement.
#Spread the word that everyone needs to consider trashing Wyze products due to lack of support.

CamPlus isn’t working either. I have that on my V3 cameras and it hasn’t worked in about two weeks. The customer support guy I spoke with acknowledged it was a known issue that they are trying to track down.

So as many support techs as they have, and they’ve had weeks to troubleshoot this widespread problem and cannot fix it? Nor do they seem to ever give their customers updates. Not a responsible way to run a business.

I thought they were turning their attention away from (legacy customers) grandfathered into Person Detection (Pilot) - the fact that Cam Plus isn’t working is even scarier in my mind -

I think we are looking at a company who had a good thing that decided to expand their line (read vacuums) and have destroyed any credibility they had - :frowning: sad

I have V2, Pan and Outdoor and will not add a single product until this experience changes - and as I mentioned that means I will NOT recommend Wyze to anybody either

I wholeheartedly agree with you. Too many product launches too quick, so many they’ve given up on servicing their bread and butter product line.
I also agree, about not recommending any Wyze products. I’ve turned friends onto their cams and contact sensors, and installed them for them, that won’t happen again. Unless they turn things around pretty quickly.

Dear Wyze,

So I see from the forum there are many having this very same problem, that their person detection has disappeared from their UI. I wish you had told me this instead of letting me think and treating me like I was an isolated case.
What is being done to correct this issue?
Why was it removed by Wyze in the first place?
Why can’t Wyze simply replace it to correct it for everyone that has lost the ability to have person detection?
Simply ignoring your customers as everyone is stating is happening is obviously the worst thing that you can do.
Do you want to lose a big chunk of your customers? Because that’s what’s going to happen if you don’t address the issue and at the very least give updates on what’s going on.
Only irresponsible companies act as you are at this moment. As you know, there are many more companies that provide these services out there.
If I can speak for most, we would just as soon stay patrons of Wyze, but at this current level of customer service, you will leave most no choice but to abandon their Wyze equipment and move on.
Please take this advice, communicate with each and every customer, address their issues, and get them fixed.

3 Likes

Just as stealth as my Person Detection (Pilot) vanished from my V2 & Pan - it returned a few days ago - the only thing I can imagine is Wyze is PATCHING CODE in Off Calendar Releases without telling anybody - I think I am going to change my course of action and stall firmware updates as long as possible.

This is still cloud person detection, it is just a pay what you want legacy version, the code in the firmware for the onboard xnor.ai version went away a long time ago. Holding off firmware updates will not affect it.

1 Like

I don’t have crap. I even set up motion detection as there were bear tracks in the snow in my back yard. This is quite unusual, especially one projected to be approx 700 lbs per it’s paw size.
For this reason, I resorted to turning the dreaded motion detection. To me, it has always been worthless due to it picking up light level changes, leaves , and bugs, even after adjusting the sensitivity time and time again. Now the detection zone area, or I should say the area that is blacked out that you don’t want motion detected in, is not being ignored. It’s like the whole screen is fair game.
I have motion tagging turned on, so I know what is causing the event recording/notification, and it is in the blacked out area just as much as the open area.
So my cameras are now truly worthless. No person detection, no motion detection. Pathetic Wyze.
I’ve messaged my support person who relegated me to email contact 7 times, with no reply.
I got a message last night from someone, who could not help me mind you , but just messaged me to inform me that they were sorry for the lack of support that I had been given and understood my frustrations, but that their support problems were due to, get this, Covid and the weather.
Wow!!

Ok Jason I will bite - then why is it when I update the firmware I routinely loose my Person Detection? I know its not edge computing BUT if I keep older firmware that works on my cameras why would my PD downtime not decrease? I used to think the firmware was QA tested and after multiple issues upgrading cameras I know that isn’t the case. Love to get your thoughts? I am not aware of any reason why I can’t delay firmware upgrades?

I am not sure, I am currently using a combination of Cam Plus (on 9 cameras) and legacy person detection (on my other 8 or so). I still get person detect on all of them, it is by no means perfect yet but it is working for me more often than not.

The sad thing is that it should always be working. And when it’s not, it should be handled in a timely manner, and you should not be avoided by Wyze support services as we all are being done. So unprofessional.