Person Detection is Going Live - 07/09! 🎉

Only cameras can identify people. Motion detectors only detect, well, motion.

1 Like

Come on. Are you being serious, or just glib? The camera still has the ability to evaluate the image and determine whether it is a person, or a car, irrespective of what triggers the motion.

I have to think that’s something the Wyze team can easily add, unless the path for Smart Alert videos triggered by a sensor is somehow separate from the normal motion event recording. Perhaps it’s an oversight, or would add complexity. Either way it’s worth asking whether person detection can be run on smart alert videos too.

1 Like

Basically, I think I did that in my comment…

I saw that, I was just thinking that tagging a Wyze employee or starting a separate thread would get more visibility on something that will probably affect the usability of person-detection for many users. I’m sorry if that seemed redundant,

1 Like

Sense Motion Sensors use “passive infrared” which does not have the ability to detect anything other than general movements. To do what you are requesting would require “active infrared” aka “thermographic infrared.”

Unless maybe I misunderstood what you were asking.

1 Like

Person Detection can only occur as - or after - there is some video to evaluate. The motion sensor is just a trigger - for example, to tell the camera to start recording. That’s it… that’s all it does. Job done. And, it does not matter if we’re talking about using a contract sensor instead of the motion sensor, either. PD should be independent of the trigger mechanism - pixel-based, PIR, contact sensor, or whatever Wyze comes up with next.

1 Like

Good job @WyzeMark, @WyzeGwendolyn on the videos posted today. I think I even saw Gwendolyn and her hair in the background of the opening of the video!

2 Likes

Rick, are you saying that the cameras that has the motion sensor bridge is not differentiating persons from other motion? I saw someone else report that when he removed the bridge, suddenly person detection started working whereas it didn’t while the bridge was in…

All I’m saying is that any camera that uses either the motion sensor or contact sensor to trigger a video event, Person Detection does not operate.

I do not know if I go back to standard camera triggered motion in a camera with or without a bridge, if Person Detection works. I am at work at the moment. I’ve turned off “sensor video” from one cam with a bridge to see if I get a PD notice.

1 Like

Person detection doesn’t seem perfect yet. It may get better in time but after some quick testing the cameras don’t seem to flag me as a person unless it has my whole body in frame. For example I walk back and forth up the side of my garage where the car conceals my legs and no detection. I walk in front of my home where a fence hides my lower body and no detection . I open the gate in the fence hiding my legs and I get detected. Right now the PIR motion sensor seems most reliable with like 95% accuracy for me. An option to share a motion triggered video that has a person to improve the AI might help.

1 Like

There is, at least in the beta version of the app, on any
video where Person Detection is available.

1 Like

@None Yup I have that share option in the live version of the app for videos that flag a person. The problem I have is the person detection on the camera is not detecting me unless the camera sees my whole body whereas I’m getting the PIR videos (positioned beside the camera) with people walking in front but with legs obscured by fence. The PIR videos with people in them doesn’t have a share option to improve AI.

1 Like

That’s the whole point of what I have been saying from my first comment… if you use any other trigger (PIR, or Contact sensor) People Detection is not operating.

As to the effacacy of People Detection, I have no comment because all my cameras (but one) use PIR or Contact sensors for motion trigger, and I did not know it wouldn’t Surprise !!

1 Like

@None I had some people alerts with both systems active but it seems hit and miss and may have something to do with the cooldown on the sensors.

1 Like

I put in a support request ticket. They already responded. Bottom line, you can either use camera motion detection and get Person Detection, or you use the PIR/contact sensor and do not get Person Detection. Only way for them to make external trigger sources work with PD is creating a "wish list topic.

2 Likes

Another way to say this is that event clips that are triggered by Wyze Sense (PIR motion sensor or contact sensor) are not being evaluated by the AI algorithm. (These are tagged as “Smart video alert” in the Event list.) Only event clips triggered by regular pixel based motion detection are evaluated by the AI. (These are tagged as “Motion” in the Event list.)

However, you can have both types enabled at the same time, and you will get person detection for the motion clips even though you won’t get it for the smart video alerts.

This is by design at this time. I don’t know why they excluded the smart video alerts from the AI processing. There may be a technical reason. It is an open question if they are planning to include those at a later time.

1 Like

As it was explains to me by the wyze rep, motion or contact sensor videos are just triggered and not “part of” motion detection the cam does, so no evaluation occurs.

True, but once a 12-second smart alert video is triggered, I would not think it is any different than a 12-second video triggered by motion. I would think they could run the AI on that video just like they run it on motion-triggered videos. It is, after all, a post-process on the video after it’s been captured. The only thing I can think of is that since there’s no 5-minute timeout, there may be too many smart alert videos and they would overwhelm the cpu.

1 Like

That’s what i would have thought as well, but apparently that’s not how it’s being done.

Here’s a direct quote, “Currently, the person detection functions as an extension of the motion detection of your camera. Alternately, the triggered videos from your sensors are more of a shortcut with the algorithm to record a clip anytime they are triggered and they are not a part of the motion detection.

1 Like