Peephole (Door View) Camera

Hi,

This message is for Wyze Cam product managers. Please make a peephole door view camera.

The problem with the Ring Door View Cam is that it doesn’t allow repositioning of the camera angle to point on an angle or downwards towards the ground to watch for packages.

This is not the same device as https://forums.wyze.com/t/video-doorbell/6763.

Thanks,
D.

I’d like to see a version of the WyzeCam configured as a door peephole cam. Why?

It is automatically in a great location!
It is hidden in plain sight!
Easy for renters to install

There are door peephole cams on the market, but having one in the Wyze ecosystem would be great!

22 Likes

I just saw the new Ring doorbell that can be installed on the peephole of the dfrobt door. WYZE please make one, i am so temted the get the ring, bur i would like to have my house use all Wyze products.

21 Likes

This is something i have been looking for, for a long time. This is a huge market that doesnt have a good option yet, I saw ring came out with something - but it doesnt look great. I, like many others, would like to stay in one ecosystem, please help us :smile:

8 Likes

Dear Santa WYZE…
I’ve been very good this year and here’s what I’d like in a peephole doorbell:
I don’t have and don’t want to add wiring for a doorbell on the doorpost (my house is made of stone over 8 inches thick…adding wiring is not an option for me).
Door knock sensitivity would be nice. The USPS letter carrier who delivers to my neighborhood is notorious about not ringing a doorbell…she always knocks (and all this time I thought the postman rang twice! lol)…so it would be nice if a knock on the door activated the chime and camera.
An on-device screen that activated when someone rang or knocked would be nice so I didn’t have to get out my phone or look across the room at a tablet in Show Mode to see what the camera was seeing outside my door. I understand that this would affect battery life, and I’m fine with that. I will gladly plug the battery into a USB charger (or replace the rechargeable AA batteries if you go that route) a bit more often to have that convenience.
Another thing I’d like would be to have a light around the push button that comes on when motion is detected so the person coming up to the door realizes that it’s a doorbell and not just a camera or, in the case of some of my older relatives, another piece of new tech their mad scientist relative found.

9 Likes

More convenient, easy install, better view angle and more secure that the Ring doorbells that are easily stolen.

7 Likes

That would be really nice to have one of these. Almost all the doors have a peephole, so replacing it with a Wyze product would be nice and easy.

7 Likes

Seems this would be a great idea for apartment dwellers. If it can be easily fitted over existing peep-hole, it might prove handy at hotels and motels.

4 Likes

Please make a wireless peep hole cam that from the exterior you would only see as a normal size peep hole. No door bell or speaker. Discreet , small footprint. The guts of the product would be attached on the inside of the door. Thanks

10 Likes

Almost 90% in my country lives in apartment type housing with peephole build into the door. It would be a huge market. Easy to install, and more discrete so less likely to be stolen.

10 Likes

I really think you guys (Wyze) should develop a low cost Front door peephole cam, specialty for us Apartment rental people. We aren’t able to drill any holes to side of the building. What you guys think?

9 Likes

If you come out with a peephole camera, have a portrait view option.

6 Likes

I haven’t seen any responses from Wyze. :frowning:

This could be a quick win… not much re-engineering to make a V1 Wyze peephole camera that simply replaces a standard door peephole. The important part is that a Wyze peephole camera shouldn’t look much different than the original optical peephole.

I’ll even offer to share a prototype that I am about to build by modifying one of your camera. :slight_smile:

V2 can be a little more elaborate by offering up/down, left/right camera motion.

V3 can offer all V2 features, plus doorbell option.

But, unlike some of the other models out there, the Wyze camera shouldn’t require any additional wiring .

I’ve been looking for a peephole camera for a longtime and there are very few choices. Talking on many forums, as well as other fellow condo owners and renters, I can guarantee that if Wyze offered even a V1 solution, you would bring many more people into the Wyze ecosystem.

Just have a look on Amazon and you won’t find many peephole cameras, much less any with a good rating. Most of them significantly modify the appearance, are standalone with a cheep camera and LCD screen, and/or very low resolution.

I really hope Wyze is listening.

10 Likes

WYZE may not directly reply much in these threads but they do listen. They read them and take note but for the most part the response will just be the topic changing from ‘maybe-later’ to ‘researching’.

3 Likes

Hello all,

I am a recent convert to the Wyze cameras. I am loving them!

But for years, I have wanted to install a peephole camera, but still, there are no good options available.
It’s strange because I am betting that the market for a door peephole camera that replaces a standard optical peephole is far greater than for wired doorbell cameras.

As of now (Dec. 1, 2019), I am not aware of any products that meet the basic requirements of WiFi, recording, mobile alerts, and incognito appearance (looking like a regular peephole). The closest product that I could find is https://doorsecuritygroup.com/brinno-peephole-security-camera but it completely misses on no WiFi and no mobile alerts.

I was going to go the Raspberry PI route, but it’s unlikely that I will be able to interface that camera to the Wyze mobile app. So, I have ordered another Wyze camera to tear apart to build my own peephole camera.

Why tear apart the camera?
I have looked at attaching the camera to the inside end of a standard peephole, but even with am additional objective lens, the view is too distorted and their is too much of a ‘barrel’ effect to get a good enough view of the outside.

Unless someone has a better idea, I am thinking that I will need to lift the camera off its base an move it to the outside of the door, in other words, the camera body is on the inside of the door, camera wires run through the hole in the door, to the camera sensor/lens on the outside.

I probably won’t get started on this project for another month, but I’ll post updates to this thread whenever I have some news.

I welcome any suggestions. :slight_smile:

Shawn

8 Likes

Welcome to the community, @connelly.shawn. I have moved your topic to the relevant #wishlist thread. You can VOTE for it at the top-left. :slight_smile:

Search Wishlist (enter your search word/s after #wishlist in the search box)
Search Roadmap (enter your search word/s after #roadmap in the search box)

Please read through How to Use the Wishlist and How to Read the Roadmap.

3 Likes

I live in an apartment and I would very much like for WYZE to develop a “frontdoor peephole cam” . Periodically people will come to my door and key the lock and would like to see who is doing this without having to attempt to go to the door. Unable to see too well in the peephole or get to the door. I have challenges physically and often am frightful of this in the evening living alone.

4 Likes

Like an earlier post. The only thing on the market I’ve found right now is:

The problem with that product is that it functions just as a digital viewer. It does not detect motion or offer continuous recording without external accessories.

They went this direction due to limitations to the technologies they utilized and the desire to keep the device battery powered.

I’d be happy to run a usb cord to power something that functions like a Wyze Cam that is attached to the peephole of my door. Primarily for the following reasons:

1. I want it to look like a plain peephole on the exterior of the door. My apartment complex does not allow us to change the look of our doors. Every product on the market right now is some extra thing we need to attach to doors that changes its look.
  2. I want it to record when motion is detected.
  3. I want to power it with a USB cord.

In the mean time I’ve been looking for better ways to utilize a Raspberry Pi to do this.
Finding a camera that is designed for the peephole has been the challenge.
I do not like that camera up against the peephole look.
It just looks unprofessional.

6 Likes

A peephole camera would be awesome! At my condo they do not allow cameras to record public areas. An inconspicuous peephole camera to watch the front door is my number 1 wishlist from Wyze. The Ring camera is neat but totally misses the mark with a big box on the outside of the door. Keep up the good work Wyze!

8 Likes

Well summarized!

Dear wyze,
Please make a wyze peephole camera since some of us don’t have doorbell wiring, Also the vantage point from a peephole cam is better than off to the side with a doorbell cam

5 Likes