Pan Cam showing up as an Apple iPhone

Here is a bizarre tale. My primary network is a Netgear Orbi RBK750. Recently, I got an email from Netgear that there was a firmware upgrade for Orbi. When I logged into the Orbi app to check the firmware, I noticed list of connected devices showed an Apple iPhone connected. Since I am a pure Android family, I immediately thought perhaps a neighbor had figured out my WiFi password. I checked through Fing and the Fios to confirm an Apple device was connected. So I went into the Fios router and immediately blocked the device by MAC address. Later, after implementing the Orbi update, the Wyze app showed 2-cameras (1-V2 1-Pan) as offline. Since I had seen this before, I power-cycled both cameras but they refused to come back online. I replaced the V2 with a V3 since the V2 had started having SD-card issues (said there wasn’t a card when there was). But the Pan would not come online. I tried deleting and reconfiguring it but it kept saying it couldn’t connect to the network. Imagine my surprise when I checked the Pan MAC address and it was the same as what was appearing as an Apple iPhone?? What the heck is going on?

Take the device type reported by various things with a HUGE grain of salt. They are often wrong, and often disagree between different reporting devices.

3 Likes

Very unusual issue! I think this might be a router issue but I would recommend that you contact Wyze Support.
Live support is also available: +1-206-339-9646 Monday - Friday 5 am - 6 pm PT Saturday 8 am - 4 pm PT and is often the faster option.
I just saw @K6CCC’s reply pop up as I was responding and agree wholeheartedly.

2 Likes

Normally I would agree. But since the FIOS router and the Orbi (setup as an AP only) are saying the same thing, it made me wonder. This is the first time this has happened.

They’re probably using a MAC lookup table that identifies Wyze’s “2C:AA:8E” or “7C:78:B2” MAC prefixes as an apple prefix.

1 Like

Nope. I have a dozen WYZE cameras/devices (V2, V3, Pan, Outdoors, switches) and the rest are all showing up as cameras and depending on where you look, properly identified as WYZE cameras.

No, @speadie is correct. Chances are very high that the problematic cameras have a different MAC prefix than the ones that you didn’t block.