Pan cam rotates to far stop and refuses to stay on station

I have two pan cams that won’t come off the far clockwise stop.

They reset by doing the pan both directions, stop momentarily at the center location.

Then the rotate hard clockwise. I can pan them to another location, the motors run both ways.

but after staying on that station, they go back to the hard clockwise stop. Takes about 30 seconds.

I have read that when you have a detect area set, you can pan off the area and observe somewhere else, but the camera will reset back to the location the camera was watching when you set the area.

I’ve reset with the factory reset both several times, behavior persists. Is there anything else I can try? Any way to get replacements?

I read about the wire twisted off with relation to my problem, but I don’t think this is a wire / sensor problem, since the motion seems to be okay.

That’s right.
Do you hsve a detection set?
Do you have a waypoint set in Pan Scan settings, under motor control?

2 Likes

It’s been two days, are you still looking?

I am a new Pan Cam user. I bought the Pan thinking I needed a panning camera, I don’t. I would like to lock it in place. I would like to set Detect Area but I cannot locate this in the app. Where is it?

1 Like

Welcome to the forum.

You’re asking two questions but they can be related.
To lock it in place just physically point it where you want it, turn off Pan Scan and don’t move the camera in the app or in the Detection Zone settings.
To set a Detection Zone, go into the camera settings, tap Detection Settings > Detection Zone and turn it on.
You can also change to position of the camera in the Detection Zone settings.

1 Like

I have another question. We do not use panning on the Wyze Cam. About twice a week the camera does panning all by itself. No power outage, nothing that we can see would cause this. Is this normal behavior?

It does go back to its starting location.

I have my motion cam doing that occasionally. I think there are glitches to the USB supply that causes it to reset more than anything.

I have mine plugged into a power hub, but none of the other devices are 100% reliant on the USB for power, and have some amount of battery, so they don’t see glitches in power.

I usually take my phone and put the camera into reset position and physically pan till it is happy. The vertical position doesn’t seem to reset, so is okay to just let it do the horizontal wig-wag and not worry about it.

I tried getting rid of the detection area. I finally factory reset one after doing all I could to get rid of settings and it seemed to stay where I put it.

Another one i’d never messed with with any detection settings started doing it, and I factory reset it.

I also removed the SD cards and ran them for a while with them gone.

My cards get corrupted and seem to kill the bringup or POST on these camera’s OS when they go bad. That’s not in the “common” knowledge, but I’ve done embedded work a lot and the SD code is a real mess unless you work on it.

I suspect that may have fouled up resetting something in the reset I did, and I’m going to remove the SD card from now on to be sure things are reset.

I think for now, though I’ve not found an absolute solution I’d call a factory reset with SD removed, then put in new SD (or known good) as good practice to try when this is happening.

Mark this as Solution to this question.

My problem was that after reset, or when I’d move it the camera would go to the far clockwise position after reset. And uncommanded moves after I positioned it to somewhere else. Back to far clockwise.

I finally did a factory reset with the SD card out. I only tried removing the SD card because I’ve had some go so corrupted that they couldn’t be reformatted in a PC and were dead.

I don’t think the Wyze firmware deals with that case well. I’ve written embedded code which deals with SD cards and the pile of crap you have to run sometimes doesn’t end gracefully. So from that I tried some cameras which wouldn’t boot with cards after some time with no cards before doing anything else.

Just as a general thing, remove the SD till the camera works. If you have had a card in for some length of time, check and clean it up on a PC or whatever to be sure it’s not worn out.

Thanks for the in-depth reply. I have made a copy of them and filed them away in my Wyze folder.