Package Delivered (an idea)

09-22-21 Wyze Contact Sensor Idea.pdf (1.0 MB)

My situation is this.

I have version 1? contact sensor that I want to use on a package dropbox but due to distance (about 40ft) from bridge and the box is metal and the obstacle of a house wall it doesn’t stay connected.

I cannot move the bridge or the box. And I don’t want to reinvest buying the v2 sense products, want to use what I already have.

My idea (see attached diagram) is to run a 2 lead wire from the box, either using the sensor outside or inside, to the inside of the house, powered by a battery adapter pack (2 AA batteries). If outside I will need to put something on the inside to indicate that the door was opened. Like a little light switch or something.

After looking at my diagram, can anyone see anything that I missed? Is this a doable idea? Has anyone ever heard or done anything like this before?

All creative comments welcome.

2 Likes

I don’t see the diagram. But with the right mind, anything is possible…
I am wondering if an IR motion sensor would work for you?
Rich

Change the file into a jpg. So it will show in the post.

Don’t mean to p** on the plan, but unless I am missing something this is not about securing the package from the thieves; In fact having your metal box near the road just offers a more accessible action for stealing.
Second, unless the magnet provides hundreds of pounds of closing force, this has very little protection for the security of the contents.
My own belief is that for any delivered package, it would be more secure if it is left at the doorstep/front verandah than a metal box too close to the road. Just my two cents.