Outdoor Wyze Camera Starter Bundle $10 for Shipping...Seriously?!

I believe they’re using a model where the shipping cost covers all costs associated with the product any amount you pay above shipping is profit.

Well, you should look up the what Toyota is settling outside of court once it was proven that is was a software induced problem.

Wyze isn’t doing anything “wrong” Mr. Porter. They’re just making errors. You know this deal with $x.99? It’s x + 1… to hell with the .99. But for a time people were fooled. So, with shipping… people are not fooled with “free shipping”. But it makes life a lot easier when you’re checking out. And it makes it far easier comparing prices with the competition.

I agree, they are doing nothing wrong. :grinning: But most Europeans will argue that since we don’t include sales tax in the listed price we are “deceptive”, and by their view we are.

Same with “free shipping” or “free handling” or what have you. It’s definitely a buyer beware world.

Nothing was proven that it was a software induced problem. And as I said the only fix to the Prius was to shorten the acceleration pedal, that’s it.

Just ordered some accessories for my Pan and Camv2 and half of the order price was for the shipping cost. This is really ridiculous!

And since the Amazon and Home Depot prices are the same, which includes what it would cost directly from Wyze with the shipping fee, that tells me Wyze has set pricing rules in place with those retailers. Because there is no reason why Amazon and Home Depot couldn’t sell the cameras for the same price as Wyze without the shipping fee.

So, if the Wyze Cam v2 sells for $19.99 at Wyze, it should also be this same price at these other retailers. I should be able to walk into my local Home Depot and pay $19.99 and the same at Amazon with Prime shipping.

Ah but facts never discourage a good conspiracy theory. :grin:

Okay, whatever.

Oh my god… you really have to start to site things instead of just claiming. Here’s a link. There’s lots of them. https://www.eejournal.com/article/20131127-toyota/ I used to perform failure analysis for nuclear reactors for ComEd Illinois on both GE and Westinghouse designs. I had three days to figure out what happened and propose a solution to the NRC. I also performed quality assurance on military weapon systems in the Canadian Armed Forces. You might be familiar with the US Navy Tomahawk and US Air Force Cruise missile? The guidance system was built in Toronto. Maybe the Light Armored Vehicles (LAVs) that the US Marine Corp uses. F18s? Toyota screwed up.

1 Like

Blink… blink blink.

Well technically @Resist is correct. It was not proven that an error caused the problem. What came out was and I quote from the article you linked:

Instead, there’s only supposition. But what a careful examination of the car’s firmware showed is that it could have failed in the way described in the case, not necessarily that it did fail.

This is not proof, what the lawyers did was an excellent job of convincing a jury that it was likely.

Like you I write software, for decades actually. And for many years I wrote embedded code like that in this case. The systems I worked on then ran the pumps and valves to control potable water systems and sewage and rain water systems in Florida. When that code failed the proverbial smelly stuff hit the streets!

2 Likes

My friend, Toyota is settling out of court. They are not challenging it. They are not taking it any further. There’s no need.

Companies often settle out of court as a purely financial move. Even if they felt they were correct and could prevail. Do not ascribe to corporations the motives and emotions of people.

Many many times companies I have worked for have “settled” as opposed to a protracted legal battle that is very expensive and an outcome that’s even slightly in doubt. Settling is not an admission of guilt it’s simply a way to move forward.

1 Like

Exactly. :+1: :+1:

“Choose your battles wisely. After all, life isn’t measured by how many times you stood up to fight. It’s not winning battles that makes you happy, but it’s how many times you turned away and chose to look into a better direction. Life is too short to spend it on warring. Fight only the most, most, most important ones, let the rest go.”

Good point… choose your battles wisely. This discussion started with a comment concerning WebCams and an example when companies do dumb things. A person stated that the dumb thing was in fact not the computer programming instead related to floor mats. (Something of the originator: it has been a passion of his to get manufacturing to do the right thing and save lives and this was not going to do unchallenged). The originator countered and said it had to do the ECU. The person wouldn’t budge and didn’t offer anything to support his claim. The originator offered one, just one, link out of many. The jury 's findings supported the claim that the ECU was the issue and that Toyota was at fault. The person continued to split hairs. Now the person points to an explanation of," Companies often settle out of court…" A far cry from floor mats.

Let’s be clear… with *Toyota’s resources, they could have battled it to the end. Instead, they cut their losses to keep the stockholders happy and brand name shiny. They were cutting their losses and saving face. but the savvy people know exactly what it meant. (whilst performing work on floor mats during recalls, the ECU firmware was updated.) (not being familiar with the car and where the brake was located?.. why just certain Toyota models with the same ECU. Why no other car manufacturer?) (Brakes never used according to the ECU stored data. The ECU?)

For Toyota, the ECU fiasco was dumb… much like VW’s emission screw-ups/cover-ups, but to cut their losses was the smart thing to do.

Which brings us back to the WebCam. There are smart ways to do things that will not rub the buyer the wrong way. There are smart ways that will make the buyer feel they have a deal. And then there’s the dumb way that alienates some (not sure how many but a number has shown up here) and that is the last thing you want to do in marketing.

1 Like

Well I leave it in your capable hands then. :wink: I am certain Wyze values your input on this and other issues. It’s part of what makes the world go around after all.

This thread.

proxy-image(4)

3 Likes

I am the third from left in that shot. I think it will buff out however.

3 Likes

:sweat_smile:

Looks like Wyze is charging $10 shipping for the individual cameras as well, if you order 3 cameras. The shipping fee is less for 2 cameras and even less for 1 camera.