Outdoor Wyze Cam mounting issues

I received my new Outdoor Wyze Cams and have the base stations installed, the cams charged, and then went to mount them and realized that I am in trouble. The supplied cam mount seems to only allow vertical swivel for adjustments, no horizontal. If I mount it sideways, it will only allow horizontal, not vertical. I need both to properly aim the outdoor cam. Am I missing something really obvious or is this just the way it is?

1 Like

It swivels left and right and tilts up and down. If you’re mounting the base on a wall you should be able to extend the arm and tilt the round part until it’s level, then swivel left or right as needed.

It’s not a perfect base, but it’s pretty flexible. Some people have attached them to L-brackets or 3D-printed mounts to get just the right angle.

1 Like

Duh, I was overthinking this, you simple rotate the camera on the magnet and viola, problem solved, Sorry for the confusion.

The WCO allows me to put the camera where I have no power, like the chicken coop to alert me when snakes come a-calling, in my tomato patch to alert me when squirrels come a chomping, in my long drive way to let me know when someone is approaching. I am hoping it will fit this niche for me. Will update with any experiences.

1 Like

Glad you got it figured out! It’s also worth mentioning that you can also remove the WCO from the magnetic base and attach the base to the top of the WCO to keep it right-side up for ceiling mounts.

1 Like

Hello pabreschjr.
I’m not sure the WOC will sense snakes as they are not warm blooded. Pretty sure the chickens fluttering around in response to the snake will get noticed by the camera.

Hello thequiteman44.

I agree the tilting the round part up until it is level and then rotating the camera left or right will provide a nice image.

However, there is case where the camera if mounted high up in a tree or above the first story of a building, tilting the round part to level will result in a level field of view which sees a lot of sky and not a lot of ground. To lower the aim of the camera so it captures a more useful field of view, the round part will need to be tilted downward. Subsequent left or right rotation of the camera about the round part will result in out-of-level field of views. The degree of out-of-level depends upon how much tilt and direction angle is involved. At low angle values the field of views would still be satisfactory.

To correct the out-of-level field of views, the base that is connected to a vertical wall (or tree) must be rotated as needed to restore levelness to the view. The corrective rotation of the base may result in having to touch-up the tilt angle of the round part. Two to three iterations of these back and forth adjustments are all that should be needed to get a nice level field of view at the desired horizontal and vertical aim.

Of course, the camera will be strung-out, tilted and rotated. This makes the aim of the camera subject to the curiosity of outdoor creatures. Also bumping them while removing cobwebs doesn’t help.

My preference has been to utilize various L-bracket mounts that keep the camera in its most compact configuration (easy to clean), and the L-bracket maintains a stable aim.

2 Likes

Same issue here, If I want to mount it in a point that needs horizontal and vertical adjustment, the camera sets in a leaning position, this is a design omission or simple a poor saving cost thought. I had looking for a mount but the only one I found is not aesthetic at all. Maybe i need to design it my self and ask for a 3d printing…

I bought swivel enclosures, but ending up scraping all 10 of them.

You need to get at the buttons sometimes. A WCO fits snugly but a V3 needs the swivel base attached to fit snugly - but then you can’t push the button (even with a hole drilled).
The enclosures cover the speaker holes and you can’t hear sounds as well.

Keep it simple and use the Wyze mount that comes with the camera.

Hello Everyone and @thequietman44, @pabreschjr, @battaglit, @cajjx1

I had trouble understanding my post from two years ago. I figured it out after a while. Below is another attempt at explaining how to use the camera’s built-in aiming capabilities.
The picture below depicts the basic geometry of a Wyze camera.

The next several pictures show a wall-mounted camera in various stages of aim and its corresponding field of view. The aim components are V15°d, S0°. B0°

This is the camera’s field of view. Note, in the center vertical lines are displayed plumb.

The picturess below shows a camera and its field of view with an aim of V15°d, S40°R, and B0°.

Note the pronounced tilting of the image near its center.

These three pictures below show a camera and its field of view with a correcting Base rotation. The aim of this camera is V15°Down, S40°R, and B15°CCW.

The picture below shows a way of maintaining Base rotation using tape. A small keeper plate could have been placed next to the Base with a screw.

Note the fence boards are looking plumb.

Some combinations of Vertical, Swivel, and Base rotations will NOT provide a satisfactory aim, this is because swivel actions can cause interference between the camera body and base.
To get consistently good results, support a wall-mounted camera with a Right Angle Bracket.

Below are some pictures of an Rt. Angle Mount being made from some scrap sheet steel.

The next pictures show a camera on the Rounded Rt Angle Mount and its field of view at different Base angles, 0°, 20°, and 40°, Swivel angle is kept at 0°. I recommend that the swivel plate be taped over at 0° to prevent accidental engagement.

In each of the 3 horizontal aims shown below the camera’s base was rotated relative to the back of the bracket for the desired horizontal aim. Using a camera’s live view is the best way to get the aim you want.

The picture below shows that a right-angle bracket cannot provide a good view if the S and B values are swapped.

Why bother with the rounded corners you may wonder. The rounded edge is a corner that cannot enter into the camera’s field of view because it is gone.

This support can easily be made of wood or printed in 3D. Below is a link to a free STL file that you, a friend, or a local library could print.

V3 Rounded Rt Angle Mount.stl

I plan t submit this post as a stand-alone topic for a wider audience.

Victor.

2 Likes

There are wall mounts that solved this issue, you can handle all positions to avoid a camera inclination…