Outdoor/Weatherproof Wyze Cam

Yeah your right

Wyze what type of battery will we be putting in the camera? Or is it going to be your own battery that you have created like Arlo and Ring did?

Hope they pass their final rounds of tests soon and get them out. My daughter forgot to lock my car and last night our on board wifi alerted me to a motion disturbance. Had to look out a window and saw the light was on inside the car! I don’t keep anything valuable so they didn’t get anything from rifling through my glove box and center console. Would have been nice to catch them on camera and put that up in our neighborhood group, especially since someone else in the neighborhood had their car stolen moments later; probably the same people. Needless to say, while we’ve wanted these cameras, now we can hardly wait!

1 Like

Since it’s visible from your window, why don’t you mount one of the indoor cameras in your window? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I heard that there was potentially a problem with the IR bouncing off the glass. Outside of that, the indoor mounting options won’t give us the greatest visibility of say the driveway… there’s a tree in the front yard that obscures a decent portion of the driveway view from the windows. An outdoor cam that was mounted outside would have greater flexibility for placement and visibility.

1 Like

You’d need to turn off the IR illuminators, that’s true. But if there’s a porch light or something outside the window, that would provide more than enough illumination for the night-vision. But yeah, if it doesn’t give you the vantage point you need, that’s probably a deal-breaker.

1 Like

V2 or Pan for that matter would run a very long time continuously off of the 12V–>5V converted car battery (cigarette lighter/assessory port) or an active 5V USB port that runs when the car is off. If your car is within WIFI distance of your house, photos would go to the cloud… CMC advisable if Wyze doesn’t reduce the cool down time for regular cameras. IR LEDs would be a user preference item for you to test.

Nice idea. Have you tried that in practice? You’d just want to be sure you know how long the car will be off and roughly how long it can go before you have a problem starting the car. Haha. Might be a good idea to have a set of jumper cables handy the first time you try it, just in case.

Interesting idea. However, as they are so close I’ll just wait and not risk loosing $20-30. As it stands now they are usually just testing to see if car doors are unlocked. Mine usually aren’t and no valuables kept in the car to make a more forceful break in worth it. I’d worry that a cam, which would have to be in view might actually make them think it was worth it to force entry.

They hope to have them out this month, hopefully no later than Dec. It’s a gamble either way.

A couple of more thoughts: The car cam V2 is unusual, so less likely that they’ll be looking for it. It can be disguised or hidden pretty easily with “stuff” like a coat, or some other common "stuff " found in a car. They would be captured before they stole the cam if wifi is close. Cameras are difficult to mount out of reach while still able to see faces. Too high, and a simple baseball cap will hide a face. Lower angle cameras catch thieves faces better. Low outdoor cameras are also easy to steal.

What I have done is run both V2 and pan cams off of small battery pack for cell phone recharging (presumably 2x18650s inside) for over a day. A car battery has considerably more capacity than them.

Wyze Cam and Wyze Cam Pan don’t have a battery, so they’ll need to be plugged into an external power source. Each camera comes with a 110V power adapter and a 6-foot USB power cord that can be plugged into a wall outlet or power bank. A 10000mAh power bank will power Wyze Cam for about 16 hours, and a 20000mAh power bank will power Wyze Cam for about 33 hours.
From https://support.wyzecam.com/hc/en-us/articles/360031128132-How-much-power-do-the-Wyze-cams-use-

Figuring the cam uses 3 watts an hour on 5 volts I’d expect the average well maintained car battery to run a V2 several days with enough power left over to start a car. But there are a LOT of variables - car condition, engine oil, temp (40 above or 40 below???) etc.

If you drive the car daily I’d expect no problem with battery drain on the car.

1 Like

Sure. It just depends on the car and battery and how much capacity your car needs in order to start. I’ve had older cars where accidentally leaving an tiny interior overhead light on overnight renders it unable to start in the morning. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Just worth testing/being prepared, that’s all. Haha.

I put LED interior bulbs in my truck for just such an occasion. :smiley:

3 Likes

@WyzeDongsheng

Fwiw, the PIR delay you experience may be more related to the lag within that particular model. I really don’t know but guessing a wyze implementation may have different results. Overall I’d rather rely on PIR if it is more selective since the V2 I have now picks up way too many false events due to tree branch shadows moving due to a breeze. Maybe wyze will figure out a 2 factor option - first motion detection wakes up the unit but we’ll have the option to only record if PIR is also triggered. Not really sure if this will help. Anyway lots of posts with all sorts of ideas - we’ll know soon enough when it’s released.

2 Likes

Hey Wyze are you still thinking that the Outdoor Camera will be released in December? Can you give an actual date? When will we know?

I don’t think we’ll know until it’s announced. Watch for early access in the app.

3 Likes

When you say to watch for early access “in the app”. What exactly do you mean? Thanks in advance!

https://wyze.com/early-access
They offer some of their new products exclusively within the app, a month or two before the “public” release.

I think it functions as a quasi-beta, in a sense. The hardware is totally finished by that point, but it gives them an opportunity to get real-world feedback from users, and it gives their existing customers an opportunity to start using the product earlier than they’d otherwise have the opportunity.

The last update we got from them was that they’re still shooting to get the outdoor camera ready for early access by December.

3 Likes