Outdoor/Weatherproof Wyze Cam

Your welcome!

Yep, my solution is not going to work for everyone for sure.

This isn’t an inside camera. It’s specifically a weatherproof version for outside use. I think maybe you might have the wrong thread. The ordinary indoor WYZE camera has other threads regarding it’s development although I’m not aware of an updated indoor version at this time, but equally I hardly ever go to the index area.

You might breach local wiring regulations depending on your country if your not careful. This could also stifle sales in the EU region.

By wiring parallel to eg a light fitting or socket, you’re creating an electrical spur. Some countries, the UK and possibly the EU only permit a certain number of spurs on any domestic electrical ring main and similar on a lighting circuit I believe. That max includes all spurs so any internally wired house sockets as well, So you may actually have zero available, and even if you have no spurs, it still limits you to that number of cameras. I’m understand wiring anything but a light, switch or PIR to a lighting circuit is also not permitted and all brand new (not like for like replacement) or outdoor electrics require the use of an electrician. I’m sure an electrician will correct me if I have the rules wrong but I believe that to be the position.

WYZE would need to develop a waterproof power adaptor as TheEggMan mentioned above. Even if you can take a spur legally yourself, which you can’t necessarily in some WYZE markets, you can’t simply cut the plug off a power adaptor and wire in it. It would be illegal, a fire risk and potentially highly dangerous from an electrocution pov due to a lack of ip rating.

Equally, by the same token, any kind of step down transformer built into the camera would make it larger, create heat issues, potential electrical interference and carry the potential for electrocution should the camera short and you investigate the failure. The camera would almost certainly have to be highly IP rated and maybe double insulated to comply with EU standards / make it safe if mains voltage was going straight to the camera. Not a cheap move without the other issues concerning the electrical regulations etc.

1 Like

It would be even more expensive to move my houses to EU.

1 Like

I am sorry if we gave you the impression we were speaking only of an as yet unreleased outdoor camera. We were not.

Did Wyze start selling their cams in the EU? I was unaware of this.

This adaptor is a very nice option for usb power. I need one of these on my night stand. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Ah yes. What is the definition of an Elephant? A mouse built to EU specifications.

I would agree with having a corded version of the outside cam. Im not a fan at all of battery cameras.

1 Like

No doubt. However, they’re probably intending to sell their product worldwide and with that it mind it makes sense to produce a product that doesn’t potentially have difficulties in some markets, especially when those issues are easily avoided.

BTW, I edited my post above as it contained a couple of inaccuracies and wasn’t totally global in outlook - the dangers of writing posts at 4am in the morning when tired.

So far as I’m aware they’re sold globally through Amazon.

I have been been guilty of this numerous times

1 Like

I think as the current wyze cam is a powered internal cam you only have people from part of the market here there’s a bit of a bias

I personally have wyze indoors & another brand battery powered cam outdoors

Just because there’s a handful of people wanting poe here doesn’t mean that it would do better in the market, probably the opposite, most people want something they are familiar with, having to get a poe injector / switch & running a ethernet network around a house will probably put them off

Just because you want it & pro systems use it, doesn’t mean it’ll do well in the domestic market

If it makes so much sense other big brand domestic companies would have already done it like Netgear who as a networking company anyway

2 Likes

I totally agree and that is why you will not see POE on the outdoor camera coming up.
And probably the same reason you will not see it on the Wyze Cam v3 .
I don’t think wyze should waste their time with it ( like they did with RTSP ), if you really want POE you can get adapters to do it now

3 Likes

They may be, however Wyze does not authorize those sales. At the moment they only sell in the US market. I am sure that will change someday.

If Wyze is to grow they need to be an international brand even if only through retailers such as Amazon.

Equally, it would be short sighted to design a product solely suitable for the domestic market as the consequence of this would be an expensive re-design if they ever decided to go global. To that end, it’s far better to design to an international standard such as POE than try to rely on USB as the charging / cable data method for long range outdoor communication. Assuming WYZE is going to retain a battery and sd card, POE makes more sense for wired runs than USB for global compatibility and long runs,

I still feel that you are still trying to make this a commercial product not domestic

Not sure what you mean by “retain” a battery. The existing cameras do not use batteries.

I am reasonably sure that Wyze has plans to expand but please remember they do not make the cameras they make the firmware and software.

Going forward they may choose to actually build the camera. If they do then I am sure they will look at other successful products in the Market, like Arlo, and Amazon, and Ring.

Note that none of these cameras which are sold globally offer POE. Ring sort of does via an adapter.

1 Like

Not at all. Wireless is pretty useless for outdoor cameras. The quality is generally poor, range restricted, prone to interference and the reliability of connection low.

For power, as mentioned above USB has numerous problems not least of which is USB cables are limited to 16ft of length max before repeating amplifiers are required (slightly longer if power only not power and data). In most properties you’d use that 16 feet before even getting the cable out of the house. USB cables are very expensive when you look at charging rated cables, (most regular usb cables are unsuitable for charging and either carry a fire risk or risk damage to the device through power loss), they are not waterproof, not uv resistant etc.

Putting in a USB power supply outside to enable a short USB connection to overcome the cable limitations, causes all sorts of issues including the expense of WYZE designing a waterproof power adaptor and then having some means of power supply point to plug or wire it into in the form of either adding an outside IP68 rated socket (again expensive with a professional electrician required) and most of these won’t accommodate the size of a power adaptor, just a regular plug, or as suggested above taking power from an external light fitting (even assuming you have enough light fittings in the right locations to match the cameras and not foregoing that in many jurisdictions taking power from a light fitting may well be illegal and in some cases danergous).

POE on the other hand uses a POE switch plugged into your pc. Cheap ethernet cable plugs in and into the camera at the other. Carries both data and power with almost unlimited distance.

You seem to be forgetting this is an outdoor camera and that makes the logistics of data and power much more difficult than for indoors.