Outdoor/Weatherproof Wyze Cam

The battery situation can be alleviated by also including a power in socket that can be powered from a plug in transformer. That works for both indoor and outdoor solutions without too much change to the cameras.

I agree POE would be nice, but then again, cost aside, how many people who are Wyze customers are Wyze customers because they wanted a cheap simple solution? Just playing devils advocate here. Maybe the anwser might be 2 versions - a standard cam on wifi and an advanced cam on poe. The issue as I see it with poe is it puts Wyze up against Dahua and Hikvision etc, unless Wyze can provide the same quality for substantially less money, in which case they’re entering a new market.

The big issues I see for Wyze atm are reliability (of Wifi connection) and image quality. The recent video posted by a user in another thread was very “smudged” and of comparatively poor quality. (Real Time Streaming Protocol (RTSP) - #634 by DeanSmith). The 1st step to getting above the other cheap priced competition is going to be to get the quality approaching main steam cctv products whilst maintaining the low price point. It’s difficult to say the cause of the smudging in those examples, but it looks very much like the compression. I’m guessing either the bit rate was very very low (by CCTV stanadards) or the encoding settings / algorithm was poor. Either way, it needs addressing, as something like a camera is judged by it’s image quality and whilst price always plays a part, ultimately, people will place weight to the image because without a clear image, you have no evidence.

For an outdoor cam, even a higher MP sensor might be nice, although the issues here are night performance. The reason I favour more MP is simply because distance to the lens can be an issue with an outside camera and again that affects recognisably and thus the usefulness of the camera.

However, at the budget end, I think it may be near impossible for Wyze to get a hold of a higher MP sensor that’s also good in low light. Even the commercial guys such as Dahua are only just about to launch these as new product lines. The defacto quality standard is still the 2mp “Starvis” sensors.